Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Not Compiling most recent saves

Jun 23, 2010 11:38 PM

this is a very tricky problem; It had me write and re-write my code tons of times -- i could not figure out why my changes were not working. when trace calls started not showing up, i got curious as to if it wasn't me.

Flash builder 4 (cs5) Is not compiling the most recent code. I compile, and it opens up old code. Saving and re-saving, closing and opening, nothing seems to work;

When flex compiles, it compiles to some file (bin-debug, i believe). It is as if it just simply... isn't doing that, and a previous compile is what i am getting shown. Excruciatingly frustrating, since my code had me re-writing the way i handled arrays from an xml source. I thought i was pointed to the wrong source, which sent me on a 20 minute long cat and mouse game with no mouse.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2010 12:34 AM   in reply to theletterq

Hi

You are not alone Although the problem seems to have disappeared for me.

I have posted something similiar quite a while ago, and couldnt reproduce it since then.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/601971?tstart=0

Not sure if this helps, but maybe we can come up with the fault's cause together.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2010 7:57 AM   in reply to theletterq

Try doing a Project -> Clean.

A thing to watch out for: If a file isn't used by your application (like a brand new ActionScript class created but not used anywhere else), then the compiler will not compile that file. If you suspect this, try instantiating your class in your main application file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2010 5:06 AM   in reply to theletterq

Would it be possible to post your FB log file? (to help us track this down?)

It is in workspacedir/.metadata/.log.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 1:20 AM   in reply to theletterq

Strange, there are no errors or warnings regarding compilation.

Do you still have the old project where recompilation was flaky?

Would it be possible to export it as an FXP and send it to me?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2011 4:57 AM   in reply to theletterq

The problem is with the SDK settings selected for the Compiler.

Try going to 'Project' > 'Properties' > 'ActionScript Compiler'.

Now, in the 'Flex SDK section', try changing the SDK. Click on 'Apply'.

This will force FB to rebuild all settings for the project.

You can try again. FB should now have started compiling with latest code changes again.

Please Note: This is not a permanent fix though!

In case the problem re-occurs, you'll need to again perform the steps mentioned above to get FB back on track.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2011 2:08 PM   in reply to theletterq

This same thing happened to me (again) yesterday. Between the quietly-malfunctioning Flash Builder and all the conflicting OSMF documenation I kept finding all over the web, I managed to waste the whole work day for what should have been a single line change. Today I switched to FlashDevelop. Good riddance to FB, what a turd.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2011 6:07 PM   in reply to theletterq

really ? seriously, what is this for crap ?

it's just won't compile the new code!

I did try all the clean and sdk crap. I even made an new project, but it still won't compile!!

any update or hotfix for this ?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2012 9:11 AM   in reply to theletterq

Having the same issue.  Just moved to FB 4.6.  Had several successful compilations, but this morning, changes are being ignored.  Cleaning projects not working.  Changing SDKs not working either.

Windows 7

32-bit

ADOBE: Help!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2012 2:20 AM   in reply to theletterq

have the same problem overhere..

My workarround is create a new MXML application file in the same project, with a copy of the code of the previous file.. Works, but it is not a great solution

Adobe, do your thing please!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2012 1:17 AM   in reply to _BNNY

I was hit twice now by this behavior. I have a project with several modules, and changes in that library project that every module uses, were ignored while debugging and even cleaning. Changing the Flex SDK helped the first time - I did that very desperatly and unconciously. Today I was hit again and was researching the web for not compiling code lines.

Personally I believe it must be a caching issue: For some reason the old assembly is referenced during debugging. So I cleaned the browser cache, and this resolved the issue for me without changing the Flex SDK.

Still a silly behavior, seeing a complete compile and then executing all my comments :-).

A work around would be probably to change the swf name with every compile, but have not done that.

Hope I will not be hit again!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 6:33 PM   in reply to theletterq

I had the same issue today. Adobe, where are you?????????????

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2012 8:28 PM   in reply to theletterq

So I just deactivated my FB 4.6 - after spending 2 days trying to get my app to recompile after simple code changes - without deleting and recreating the entire project each time.

• It worked for a few times, but then it stopped
    • clean project does not work
    • changing SDKs back and forth does not work
    • deleting the debug swf just replaces it - with another swf - still compiled to my old code version
    • -incremental=false does not work

I'd like to try with the plug-in version, but due to another bug, I can't install that on my 4.2 version of Eclipse.

One theory I have is based on my use of Dropbox in the source code container. Perhaps it blocked access to the compile process - while it was syncing the changes with the Dropbox mother ship. Will report back...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2012 5:37 AM   in reply to AlHolden

I had the same problem and spent whole night fighting the issue. I remember having this issue some long time ago too, and that was solved by a simple laptop restart. But this time it didn't help.

I tried one suggestion written here after another and finally rombooth1's idea of clearing the browser cache solved the problem. And it seems to be logical - the FB compiling is all right, just the browser loading the same swf file from its cache displays the same old result.

Thanks rombooth1

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2012 7:20 AM   in reply to theletterq

Unprecedented. After 3 years working with FlashDevelop i went back to Flash Builder, since i fell in love with Flex way back, but it was still too young dev tool to be useful to me at that time. Same issue that troubled it before does now.. its hard to verbalize how ridiculous this feels - that important issues like these are still not handled properly.

So i got the same issue described above, Flex somehow "caches" the asset i embed using the [Embed(...)] tag, and doesnt use the updated assets i provide, eg. same issue like years ago persists, and none of the solutions suggested above work. Whats even more frustrating is - that there exist multiple posts JUST like this one - of people asking for a fix over the years, but none provides a consistent solution, nor did Adobe provide one during this whole time.

Switching back to FlashDevelop now.. though Adobe - you should know - id love to use Flash Bulder instead (if just it wasnt broken on some core level).

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2012 8:15 AM   in reply to juice212123

I'm having this same problem now, and I didn't manage to solve it, even changing workspace and etc...

But, in fact, my project has a lot of modules and images, because this is a 2.5D mmorpg game...
    What I need to do to solve this problem? There is some configuration for big projects with several modules?

I checked to "Build Automatically"... But even after building, my changes aren't applied, my SWF isn't changing its file size compared to the previous one, even when I  add or change internal images (embed) to/from my project. The only thing that changes is the creation date of the file, nothing more.

I've tried everything, all kinds of "solutions" that I found in the internet and forums, but nothing works. I tried to clean my project, clean my browser cache, reinstall my program, rebuild my workspace... But nothing works. The old code always remains there.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to AdanSR

I'll also try the FlashDevelop, because as juice212123 said, this problem exists for several years and nothing has been done.
    I can't stay with my project stopped expecting the goodwill of Adobe to fix this bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2012 9:44 AM   in reply to AdanSR

Its really easy with FD since you can just grab the latest build here and get the latest AIR SDK / FP / FLEX SDK support available (no need to self-add the latest plugins). Installed it and made my FB project working in 5 minutes.

*cry me a river* hopefully FB gets patched soon too. Love Adobe's dev tools.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2012 8:53 PM   in reply to juice212123

Thanks for the help, I installed this program that you referred me here, FlashDevelop, and my project ran perfectly on it. I was afraid to appear some errors with FlashDevelop because my project is pretty big, but thanks God, it didn't give any error, worked 100%.

Well, unfortunately we will have to wait until Adobe fix this problem for us that we can go back to use the FlashBuilder. I also would love to work with FlashBuilder, because it's a program of the same developer of Flash, then it's obvious that the risk of having problems is much smaller when compared to a third-party program, but unfortunately we have no choice

Thanks again!!
    And good luck with your project!!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2012 6:00 AM   in reply to AdanSR

Thank You for your feedback,

best of luck to you as well!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2012 7:24 AM   in reply to AdanSR

Well, the FB is really buggy. A lot! And I feel the support is minimal, when I see old significant bugs not being fixed over long time. I worked in it only because I needed it over summer, but it's my nightmare, so I won't be using it anymore. Nevertheless, this bug was always solved by clearing the browser cache since. Did you even try to open the project in diffent browser? Just to be sure, the content of compiled files is actually changing.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2012 7:35 AM   in reply to kubabelica

@kubabelica:

tried clearing browser cache along with all the other suggestions i could find. no-go.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2012 8:35 AM   in reply to juice212123

I see, thx. I just wanted to make sure in other way, that the problem is not browser associated. Did you compare the compiled project content to the previous one? I mean on byte level, because size can be sometimes the same and the swf file doesn't need to be exactly that one file that contains the images - it can be in another module. Try it with Total Commander - Commands > Synchronize Dirs... and make sure the 'by content' checkbox is thicked near the Compare button.

Then you'll see on which side the problem lies.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2012 9:41 AM   in reply to kubabelica

firstly, thank you for trying to help

in my case the problem is not browser-related, its FB related.

As i mentioned it happened when i used the [Embed(...)] tag, while embedding a sprite sheet.

What i did to test if the png was somehow "cached on the background" was that i removed the png sprite sheet completely from harddrive. Cleaned browser's cache, Cleaned / recompiled / rebuilt etc the project. When the project ran, i still saw all the images from the sprite sheet in the output swf.

Alternatively i tried exporting the sprite sheet with fewer images, but all images (even those not present in the newer sprite sheet) were available in the swf output.

Alternatively i tried multiple other options mentioned by multiple users in multiple similiar/identical posts on the adobe forums to no avail.

My experience w flash dev is 9 years. Ive met with similiar problems in other SW solutions, but "none" so persistent - (albeit simple to fix, id assume) - as this one,  over the years. IMO Adobe can do better (if they just wanted to).

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2012 10:40 AM   in reply to juice212123

Oh, sorry, I just quickly overread your problem, misunderstood the core of it and related it to my previous experience. My bad, I can see what you mean now.

I remember having similar problem too, but then I just used the links to external pics, which was just good enough in my case.

Anyway, its strange, how can FB cache it (and where actually), if the workspace, the project build and installation has been cleaned already. The last logical idea may be some sort of FB (or Flex SDK) temp folder not deleted when reinstalled. I also remember, that sometimes, despite I did Clean Build, it didn't work properly and rebuilt only few modules, so manual delete of the project was needed. But I suppose you already tried everything properly, so I'll leave it.

I agree with your note about Adobe. Wish you good luck with the work

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2012 11:43 AM   in reply to kubabelica

Hi,

There is not specific reason for FB not recompiling when the Embed assets are updated, but I can only guess that eclipse is not letting FB know that some part of the project filesystem (the assets in this case) has been updated. Whatever the cause, we would like a closer look at this bug. At this time, our QE team has not faced this issue, but from this thread it is evident that many users have.

So can I request those who have a project where this problem occurs to mail it to arijit -at- adobe -dot- com. We'll get some engineering attention to trying to find a root cause and possibly a fix.

Also, assuming this could be an eclipse issue, it would also be helpful if those of you facing this problem can try it with FB 4.7 http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashbuilder4-7/ , this version of FB is built with eclipse 3.7.1 (FB 4.6 was built with e 3.6) AND uses the new ASC 2 compiler (albeit for pure AS3 projects only, ASC2 does not work with Flex) and may not have this problem.

Thanks

Arijit

Engineering Manager - Flash Builder

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2012 12:47 PM   in reply to Arijit C

I posted on this issue back in June 2012 (above).

As I mentioned back then - my 4.6 project source was in a Dropbox linked folder. I moved it to My Documents and created a new project there. This seemed to improve the issue for me - which leads me to think that the automatic Flex compiler was running into some concurrence locks with the Dropbox sync process (as they are both triggered at almost identical times)?

So - for Arijit's sake - I wonder how many folks having this issue (who have not suppressed their browser's auto-caching settings first and foremost) have their projects in something besides a native, local directory? One which also does not have any outside services running against it?

I'm surprised he didn't ask for a roll call of browser versions too...

Al

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2012 10:22 PM   in reply to AlHolden

I think we are dealing with 2 different problems in this thread. There are a set of people here for who removing the generated SWF manually solved the problem of a stale SWF being loaded, and this set of developers will be able to set no-cache headers in the HTML wrapper for Flex projects to work around the stale SWF issue.

The more complex problem, and I do believe this is the more frustrating and long-standing one in this thread, is that of stale source code being compiled. There are mentions of some developers manually purging browser caches, manually changing SDKs, etc. to work around the problem. The only 2 reasons I can think of for stale source files being picked up are - 1) as Al mentions, having an external service manage a file (like a Dropbox managed file) could change the filesystem file caching 2) Win 7 has a file caching policy for shared folders, but from various web posts it seems like that impacts Windows managed files (like the Documents folder where FB projects are created by default). This in turn "may" be causing the eclipse resource refresh not being triggered (i.e. eclipse does not get to know there is a new version of a file)

So, I am curious whether all the folks here, for who purging the browser cache has not worked, are on Windows 7 (or Vista) ?

If not , are your folders managed by an external service?

Are the sources that are not being picked for compilation in the main project or in a library? ( I think not everyone is using libraries, but I just want to elimilate the project linkage angle)

Thanks

Arijit

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2012 2:11 AM   in reply to Arijit C

Hi!

In my case:

removing SWF manually -> didnt help.

purging cache / changing SDK -> didnt help.

im on Win7, project folder and libs are loaded from D:\ (not a system folder), FB installed into C:\ Program Files x86 (default folder)

"folders managed by external service" - no(t aware of it)

"sources in main or library" - both.

> main = .

> library = ../../LIBRARY/

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2012 4:01 AM   in reply to juice212123

Thanks for your reply, I have forwarded it to our QE team. Further evidence of this type will also help, so please continue posting

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2012 8:28 AM   in reply to Arijit C

I had the same problem, with changes to source code not getting compiled. Turned out a coworker had put an old copy of the swf in html-template, and that was overriding the newly built swf.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 5:33 PM   in reply to theletterq

I had the same problem with code changes not being recognized (and also random pauses of the FB 4.6 editor window, etc...). Anyways, it was not browser cache or anything like that as I was running the swf directly and not in a html page. The code changes I made were being completely ignored, I would run debug mode and step right over them like they didn't exist, they were skipped.

I believe I solved it by completely removing myself from Windows 7 homegroups. I also disabled all file sharing on my drive where my projects and code is stored.

I didn't have these problem before, they suddenly cropped up after I tried sharing folders and joined a home group to access stuff on this computer from my laptop.

Now that I've removed the homegroup and folder sharing it seems ok so far. I think it was most likely the homegroup and not the sharing of a directory though.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 2:37 PM   in reply to theletterq

Had the exact problem.

Any changes to the .as file were not compiling in the generated swf.

It would compile, but it was older code. No problems were thrown and the console was not generating anything abnormal.

I think what Eclispe is doing here is using the last version of the file that compiled correctly.

I originally tried everything listed here, cleaning and refreshing.

It's quite possible the source code you're attempting to build has either a minor, or fatal problem. Possibly fatal enough to not throw a error in the debugger.

Comment out, or try run a older version of the file to see if it builds the correct instance.

At the very least create a new project and see if the problem persists within your IDE, if not, then you at least have isolated the issue to your project folder.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 1:16 PM   in reply to Sal.V

Add me to the list: Flash Builder is crap.I just updated to 4.7, hoping to fix an issue with the output folder location on a different drive. Saving the file path there only seems to stick for the current session of Flash Builder use!

Now I am having the issue with file updates not getting compiled. I've had this issue with previous versions. It seems like Adobe has dropped the ball big time, which I guess is no surprise.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2013 11:29 AM   in reply to Arijit C

I was getting a very similar problem here! Was desperate to discover what was causing it!

In the end it was an embed, I don't have any clue why. As soon as I removed the embed, it refreshed again...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2013 6:17 AM   in reply to Arijit C

My organization has been crippled by this issue for months. We've had to completely cut FB development altogether. I'm glad I stumbled across this forum where other people are having the same problem.

No code changes are ever compiled. I've been use Ant to compile and actually got a change to take effect last week for the first time in 6 months! There are sundry cache files littered throughout the directories, and I've been deleting them at random attempting to find the ones causing the problem. I cannot find the exact file(s). I believe it was in the .metadata (but which one? there's 10 of them...). Please address this Adobe!

Edit: Also I have tried compiling from every directory on my computer, and I mean every directory. It does not seem to matter where the directory is.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 2:11 AM   in reply to theletterq

I have fixed the issue ( at least for now ) by updating the AIR SDK to the latest version — 3.8 build 910.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 2:21 PM   in reply to theletterq

Same problem here, using FB 4.7 and SDK 3.8, developing iOS/Android mobile app.

Flash Builder wasnt compiling any of my changes, i can see the swf file in the bin-debug folder not changing if i compile the project.

I try a "clean", and FB deletes the swf, and never regenerate it, since then, it simply said "initial content not found".

This issue happened me before, and i have to create a new project, configure again all the ANEs, swf and all the paths, and start again, this is, very annoying...

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points