Skip navigation
palisours
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere CS5 Pro takes hours to render!

Jun 24, 2010 3:52 PM

Hi,

I use premiere to edit my work to produce tv episodes online with a 4gb machine and 2gb Nvidida 9600 VGA Card.

Till yesterday everything was working fine, suddenly premiere is taking ages to encode my files in adobe media encoder although i didn't change anything in my settings and i use the same sequence settings for every file as well as the same file formats.

I produce my Episodes to an external HDD and it takes about 50 mins usually to export 30 mins video. But now its taking up to 4 and 5 hours for the same file!. I tried restarting my PC and it's still the same problem.

Please tell me what to do

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2010 4:22 PM   in reply to palisours

If nothing has changed (export settings or original file type, frame size, frame rate, etc.) then it's likely that one of two things has happened. First, reboot your system. AME could be maxed out on memory and is now forcing a page to disk. Rebooting the system will free up any memory and allow you to start fresh. If this helps, do yourself a big favor and go out and get more RAM - a lot of it. 4GB isn't much RAM in a 64 bit world. Stick as much RAM into your box as it will take or that you can afford (RAM is pretty cheap). If you've got 32GB of RAM in the box PPro and AME will use it. If you're limited to 4GB PPro and AME are likely to drag a bit.

Second (assuming the above didn't make a difference), your preferences need to be trashed.

On Win, go to C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Media Encoder and move the 5.0 folder to the desktop (this way you can put it back later if nothing has changed). Relaunch AME and rebuild your render queue.  On Mac, go to System drive/Users/[username]/Documents/Adobe/Adobe Media Encoder and move the 5.0 folder to the desktop (again, you can put it back later if it doesn't help). Relaunch AME and rebuild your queue.

I suspect the problem is RAM related, but prefs could be at blame as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2010 5:26 PM   in reply to palisours

Did you by any chance install any OS updates, or hot-fixes? If so, look for a newer video driver. Even a simple hot-fix can render the video driver obsolete in an instant, and PrPro interfaces with the driver, much, much more closely, than most other programs.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2010 6:35 AM   in reply to palisours

Do you still have access to CS4?

If so, try to render with that and see if that is faster.

I too have problems with CS5 beeing really slow!

Did you update QuickTime player recently?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2010 9:41 AM   in reply to palisours

Check your CPU activity when rendering. Something is stealing CPU cycles and/or memory. This still sounds like a paging file is being forced, but it wouldn't be the first time I've guessed wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2010 10:05 AM   in reply to palisours

In addition to what the others have said:

(1) are any of the files currently involved with your project, on a netwrok drive?  If so, try to get them on a local disk.

(2) Try recreating the paging file on the system disk--it may have become fragmented or has bad sectors????

(3) Are the effects you are using on this project different from those on the other projects?  if so, put the work area around that effect and render and watch how long it takes. (I have one Boris FX 9 effect about 6 seconds long that I use that takes minutes to render--these can add up.)

(4) The best source of hints is watching the performance manager as AME does its thing.  Generally, speaking:

(a) if the processor(s) is not maxed out, you have another constaint, IO, page file problems, memory restrictions.

(b) if the network bandwith is high, then you have a file involved in your project thats on a network path

(c) look the memeory usage--how much free memory do you have ( if you're pegged out, here's your constraint)

When you look at the AME settings, are you also looking at those three settings in the small drop down box (e.g., maximum render quality, use preview files)

Given your 4gb memory, after when AME has started its encoding, have you tried exiting PrPro to free up its memory?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2010 11:29 AM   in reply to palisours

The USB connection is likely part of the problem, unless it's USB 3.0.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2010 11:31 AM   in reply to palisours

Doh!

I'd suggest encoding to an internal drive. Sorry, I must have missed that part. USB drives are subject to all sorts of delay issues. Render to a fast internal drive and then copy it over if you must.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2010 11:36 AM   in reply to Mitch W

Along with the slow response with USB 2.0, I, and many others, have had read/write issues with them too.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2010 2:58 PM   in reply to palisours
    i am doubting that the problem is from Premiere itself or something else.

So what is your problem, if it is not Premiere or something else?

The only problem I see is the USB drive, it is like using a bicycle when you have a car in the driveway.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2010 3:04 PM   in reply to palisours

Not sure what to tell you here... the drive could get getting close to full, the drive could be fragmented, the USB bus could be experiencing problems or conflicts. Until you try rendering to an internal drive, you don't have anything to compare.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2010 6:22 PM   in reply to palisours

I know you are using CS5 but try running my PPBM4 benchmark and see how your system compares to others running CS5. 

You also said you recently replaced your graphics card  There have been problems with certain drivers.

And, definitely get a second internal 7200 rpm disk drive.

What output format are you encoding into?  I have seen a major diference in MPEG and H.264 encoding times benchmarking with 6 GB and 12 GB, and you are struggling along with 4 GB.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2010 8:04 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Good analogy Harm, as usual. When I tested USB 2.0 externals, the first thing to strike me was the horribly slow speeds. Next, I ran afoul of the read/write errors, as many others experienced. Little worse than having to completely reformat an external with a Project on it, because the NLE program was too fast for the connection. THAT really slows things down, and in a big way.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2010 2:12 AM   in reply to palisours

On your laptop, the processor will likely be the bottleneck. so it is running at full speed.

On your desktop the processor will be faster and if it is not running at 100%, it simply means it is waiting for other components to finish their job, in your case probably the disk.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2010 3:10 AM   in reply to palisours

If you want to get to the bottom of this, please supply details as outlined in both included links: Some suggestions... and answer at least the 16 questions at the end of the Wiki article.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2010 8:54 AM   in reply to palisours

Comparing the Render times of PrPro and AE are not apples to apples. They do Exports/Renders in a different manner, using different aspects of the computer.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2010 3:35 PM   in reply to palisours

Hi.

the same happens to me, i have a Core2quad 2.4, 8gb ddr2, geforce gfx 470, 4 discs 7200rpm, this same pc with the cs3 rendered 4 times faster, what the hell is going on?

Besides when i want to export to tape a it doest render & looks awfull so i have to chage settings to soft only mercury engine so it renders all it needs in the timeline exept for simple things like a title, that part is not rendered & when you se it in a tv monitor looks with draft quality.

heres a picture of it:

cs5 render.jpg

how can all this be fixed? the same job with cs3 took 4 times less!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2010 3:48 PM   in reply to trestiposadobefan

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to run the PPBM benchmark for your system. That will tell you how the speed compares to others, and will probably point up where any bottlenecks are. This ARTICLE will get you started.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2010 4:08 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

thanks ill try it, but this is strange, the same job take much longer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2010 8:04 PM   in reply to palisours

I think you need to upgrade to a Quadro series card to get the CUDA

something or other rendering engine.  Videomakeer recently did a test and found that CS5 software only (which is the case with the nnon-QuadroFX 9500 card takes about 10X longer than CUDA and is even slower than CS4.  This machine has the 3800 series card and is plenty fast, almost real time with CS5.  However, the other machine with a low end GTX 260 and just 8 gigs RAM barely runs CS5 so I just use CS4.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2010 5:29 AM   in reply to Peter J Burn

Peter J Burn wrote:

I think you need to upgrade to a Quadro series card to get the CUDA

Peter that is totally false.  With the current release of Premiere 5.0.1 there is absolutely no advantage for a Quadro card.  There may be in the future.

Testing with Software only does take longer.  But hardware acceleration is available in any CUDA card not just the Quadro's and the render time of the timeline is tremendously improved!  Look at the results of much testing.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2010 9:13 AM   in reply to Bill Gehrke

Well... not entirely true. You still need to have a supported CUDA card from Nvidia. Not just any CUDA based Nvidia card will work. The current list of supported cards for Premiere Pro 5.0.1 is:

GeForce GTX 285
    GeForce GTX 470
    Quadro CX
    Quadro FX 3800
    Quadro FX 4800
    Quadro FX 5800

More cards are expected to be added to that list later on, but for now if you want to use Mercury hardware acceleration, you'll need to have one of those cards.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2010 9:29 AM   in reply to Mitch W

Mitch, I am sorry but what part of my statement is not true?  I am always willing to learn.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points