Skip navigation
maryanne1383@me.com
Currently Being Moderated

Can anyone help me with spot colors within an InDesign table? They don't show up in Acrobat!

Jun 26, 2010 1:43 PM

Hello everyone!

I have a problem. I am working on a textbook that has the answers in a spot color. (InDesign CS4 6.05; MAC 10.5.8) I strip the color out in the pdfs. However, if the spot color is within a table the spot color does not show up in Acrobat (9.0)! The only way I can get the spot color to show up in Acrobat is to take the spot color text out of the table and put it on top of the table.  Does anyone know a workaround or something I'm doing wrong? I've looked everywhere. I tried overprint, changing spot to overprint, etc. And nothing works. By the way, I only have a problem if the offending spot color is part of a table! I would appreciate your help!

Spot Color Within the Table

SpotWithinTable.png

Spot Color in a text box on TOP of the table

SpotTopTable.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2010 1:49 PM   in reply to maryanne1383@me.com

It looks like what you are saying is your custom spot color is being converted to process balck in the tables. Is that right?

Have you tried using a color from the regualr Pantone spot libraries? I did a book recently that was all tables in two spot colors with no problems. You can pick any color you like -- just tell the printer to put it on the black plate, or load black in the spot unit for the teacher's edition.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2010 2:41 PM   in reply to maryanne1383@me.com

Humour us. Try using a Pantone ink to see if that makes a difference. If it does you can alias it to your custom grey through the Separations Preview panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2010 3:06 PM   in reply to maryanne1383@me.com

OK, that made no difference.

Is there something going n with transparency? Is the text frame containing the table set to a transparency mode other than Normal, 100%? Is there something above the text frame with a drop shadow or other transparency effect applied? Try moving the text frame to a new layer and put that layer above all other layers.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2010 3:22 PM   in reply to maryanne1383@me.com

Does this happen in all docs that you make?

Can you make up a sample to post so we can look at it on our systems?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2010 5:15 PM   in reply to maryanne1383@me.com

Could be the art, but more likely it's something else. Take a look at Remove minor corruption by exporting and give that a shot. Let us know if it works.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2010 9:20 AM   in reply to maryanne1383@me.com

The distilled PDF workflow is from the Dark Ages, but I won't get into that.

I don't see a purpose in sending 100 files for a 100 page document -- even distilled you can make a PDF that is 100 individual pages in one go from that .indd file. if the printer insists on having 100 files to keep track of you can us Acrobat to exctract the pages as individual files after you make the PDF. Much faster.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2011 4:14 PM   in reply to maryanne1383@me.com

Hi, I know this is quite long time from the discussion but I also noticed such problem with spot colors in tabels. My solution is very simple - I just draw a rectangle (for instance) and give it the spot color then place it under the table.

You can simply place it under the header which consists the spot color or apply white background to few rows of table and place the object under them.

Just copy the object to other pages and place it under other tabels.

Well, I suppose it is not the trick that was purposely invented by Adobe but it works - Acrobat "sees" spot colors in separations.

Best wishes

Peter

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points