Skip navigation
WHLowe
Currently Being Moderated

How to replace over cast sky (no pixels) using Photoshop 8?

Jun 26, 2010 7:26 PM

New to Photoshop 8 for Mac OSX. Image has a severely over cast sky. Essentially no pixels. Attempted to use smart brush or quick fix using info shown on Adobe TV. The blank sky area was selected properly but the color ( blue sky 1) failed to be added. These tools seem to work only when there are some pixels (color ) in the selected area. I did successfully use the quick fix feature on an image that had some pixels within the selected sky area. Having the capability to easily add blue sky to a severely overcast sky will be necessary to upgrade fron PSE6 to PSE6.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2010 8:09 PM   in reply to WHLowe

Here's a way to create your own sky. I have PSE2 but the steps should be the same in 8.

http://home.earthlink.net/~msand42/PSE/Create%20Sky/album/

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2010 5:43 AM   in reply to WHLowe

Bill,

Sorry, but I don't know anything about PSE8. Hopefully someone else can answer your question. You might want to open a new forum topic as more readers are likely to look at it. If you do that, you might refer to this topic in your description.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2010 6:03 AM   in reply to Mark Sand

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=11UFBmvtHqJ0ZzY7LCROfSFVqJeE m

PSEv.8 has the Smart Brush Tool. This allows you to "paint" over an area with preset colors, lighting, various effects. In the print screen you can see the "marching ants" around the sky, and the edge selection can be refined via the box at the top above the ruler. this tool is quite versatile, but not automatic.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2010 9:09 AM   in reply to WHLowe

I am not an expert re this tool, having had occasion to use it just a couple of times.

• Be sure that in the tool's option bar, "inverse" is not checked if you want to work on the subject
    • I did an experiment, opening up a new blank file, transparent. I could not lay down any color with the tool.
    • The same obtains when you go to Enhance>adjust color>replace color. If the layer is all black or white (i.e.no color), then it will not work.

My take on this is that some pixels have to be present for functionality.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points