Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Trojan

Jun 30, 2010 8:55 AM

After I was able to follow instructions From Other Sites regarding the Trojan that Adobe dropped in my lap last Friday, (hours before one of the busiest weekends of my career), I see that yesterday, Adobe showed up for work on Monday and sent me some kind of "update".

Naturally, it did not load.

I see this morning, Adobe has sent another "update", (or perhaps the same one resent).

I was just wondering if this little bit-bomb sitting in my tray is as explosive as that ugly monster Adobe gave me last Friday.

In other words, is this update safe?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 30, 2010 9:37 AM   in reply to meridethtohayes1

Hard to say. The last one was safe. This is the first I've heard of any specific problem with the last update.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 8:48 PM   in reply to meridethtohayes1

meridethtohayes1 wrote:

Adobe has sent another "update"...

How did Adobe "send" an update to you?  If it was by email, you can be 100% sure that it is not from Adobe!

If the Adobe Updater alerted you (check your Task Manager), then it is legitimate.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2010 4:01 AM   in reply to meridethtohayes1

Could not understand your problem.

What version of Reader is there on your machine?

What is the title of the update popup you are receiving continuously? If it says "Adobe Reader Updater", you should update your reader with that update.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2010 6:57 AM   in reply to meridethtohayes1

To see what this update is, you will have to click on the sys tray icon whose pop up says "Update is ready to install" and it should bring up a "Adobe Reader Updater" dialog with a "details" link. Click on the "details" link, which should take you to some URL and the page will have information regarding the update.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2010 7:45 AM   in reply to meridethtohayes1

meridethtohayes1 wrote:

Info:

Adobe\Reader\8.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

Trojan.Win32.Vilsel.aift

A Bing search reveals that apparently, I am not the only one:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=adobe+trojan.Win32.Vilsel.aift&src=IE-Sea rchBox&For m=IE8SRC

Sounds like a false positive to me. What gives the impression that it is an actual trojan other than the warning from your AV software?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points