Skip navigation

Flash Builder 4 - Debugger fails to connect

Jul 2, 2010 12:07 PM

Latest reply: dfm_, May 15, 2013 1:20 PM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 7, 2010 5:50 PM   in reply to fedster72

Hi,

I have a problem when running debug in my Flash Builder 4. When i click on the debug button, when it launch i have ERROR 404 showing up in my browser.

I have check the debug folder path and compare it with the browser they are the same. I noticed that the index.html is missing. Then i tried to copy the index.html from my release folder and somehow it run. But the when i run the debug again, it shows the ERROR 404 in my browser. Somehow it deleted the index.html that i copied from the release folder. 

Anyone experiencing it?

Regards.

Cris

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2010 5:51 PM   in reply to MasterDrive

By the way i'm using MAC and Safari brownser. Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2010 9:55 PM   in reply to MasterDrive

What's in your html-template folder?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2010 4:43 AM   in reply to drkstr_1

Hi,

Inside my html-template folders are:

history - folder

swfobject.js - file

playerProductinstall.swf - file

thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2010 2:04 PM   in reply to MasterDrive

Well that's your problem. You should have a index.template.html file in there. I'm not sure how you would regenerate this, but try going to Project -> Properties -> Flex Compiler and then try changing around some of the settings for HTML Wrapper. This should trigger a regeneration of that file.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2010 11:10 PM   in reply to drkstr_1

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, it works. But its very strange, because when i checked the flex compiler properties, the Generate HTML-Wrapper File is enable. What i did is, i disable it then enable it back, and  whoala.. it generate the html file. Is this a bug or something?

Once again, Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2010 8:23 AM   in reply to MasterDrive

Nah, stuff happens. It probably got deleted on accident. I personally wouldn't bother with a bug report.

Glad you got it worked out.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2010 3:13 PM   in reply to drkstr_1

Hi It's me again. I am trying to debug my application but somehow it pop me this error,

FP_plugins.png

I downloaded and tried to install Adobe Flash player, but then when i tried i still have this error. I check the path and found out that the Flash Player.plugin is in the correct directory. Below is the directory captured image.

library.png

Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2010 3:20 PM   in reply to MasterDrive

Just an FYI, for anyone encountering the issue where the debugged sporadically connects to the browser debugger... Download the flash projector (stand alone) debugger.  Edit the projects debug settings and in the url to debug change the .html to .swf.  Instead of luanching in a browser it will launch in the stand alone flash projected application and connect every time.   Happy Coding.   For even more awesomeness use HellFire Daemon Compiler... its freaking insane!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2010 3:30 PM   in reply to JTtheGeek

Hey Geek,

Thanks for the advice... my bad.. i just noticed that my FP is without a dubugger plugin.. stupid of me. LOL.. i managed to download the plugin with debugger and it works ok... Im still new and trying to learn programming.

Thanks Again.. =D

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2010 7:34 AM   in reply to fedster72

I am having the same issue however it's an AIR app so it is already a stand alone. Any ideas on this?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2010 10:30 AM   in reply to llamajuana

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2011 2:53 AM   in reply to fedster72

Hi all,

I ran into the same issue today and found this page while searching for help.

None of the suggestions helped. But there was a suggestion to debug in flash itself. So I opened the .html file from bin-debug in the flash builder itself - basically double click, and it worked in the builder. Now the surprising part is I had not closed the applications I'd started for debug, these  were still stuck at 57%. These started opening in my browser with debugger version of flash player!! And it was debugging fine!

Guess the trick is to click on the .html file while the progress bar is stuck at 57% for debugging the application. No clue why this works.. I have tried this 2-3 times and it worked always.

hope this helps someone.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2011 11:26 AM   in reply to fedster72

This happens because the Flash Debugger uses sockets and it failing to connect to the flash content in the browser.

I find this happens to me when I accidently delete my debug configuration when I delete the project and recreate it.

Developers tend to forget thta if you delete the project and recreate it it will delete your debug configuration as well.

In my Debugging configuration, the default is to debug it from a html file from your file system, but in almost every case

you want to specify a URL because you want to debug how your flash app will act after being actived from a web server.

If it stuck at 57% just terminate it because it will not connect and check you debig configuration setting

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2011 3:22 AM   in reply to fedster72

I'm having this exact issue with Flash Builder 4.5.1, flex sdk 4.5.1 and air 2.7

My apps are air apps, they run fine, but can't debug. For a mobile application, i can debug on the mobile device, but not on desktop (emulator).

The error is always debugger can't connect to the application.

This is the error when i kill the app before Flash Builder times out trying to connect, it halts at 57%:

Process terminated without establishing connection to debugger.

Launch command details:  "I:\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder 4.5\sdks\4.5.1\bin\adl.exe" -runtime "I:\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder 4.5\sdks\4.5.1\runtimes\air\win" -profile mobileDevice -screensize 480x762:480x800 -XscreenDPI 252 -XversionPlatform AND "C:\Users\mia\Adobe Flash Builder 4.5.1\test\bin-debug\test-app.xml" "C:\Users\mia\Adobe Flash Builder 4.5.1\test\bin-debug"

This is the error if i let the process to time out:

The Flash Builder debugger failed to connect to the running application.
    Ensure that:
        1. For in-browser applications, you are running the debugger version of Flash Player.
        2. For network debugging on a mobile device, you have a reliable network connection to the device, and port 7935 is open on your machine's firewall.
            Device connection help

Flash Player is really got nothing to do here since i'm trying to debug Air apps.

Debugging worked fine with Flex sdk 4.5 and air sdk 2.6.

After updating to air 2.7 and sdk 4.5.1 i couldn't debug any Air app, mobile or not (although i can debug on the mobile device, however it's a pain to always debug on the device, it's just a waste of time)

I'm using windows 7 64b btw

Is there any solution for this?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2011 4:36 AM   in reply to pin05h

I have encountered this situation many times in Flash Builder 4.5 and it always seems to occur when, prior to launching the application from the Builder I was using phpadmin (wampserver) and failed to close this application in the browser before staerting the debugger.

The app load hangs at 57% every time.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2011 1:37 PM   in reply to Scott R. Hamilton

I don't have wampserver installed nor am I using phpmyadmin on this computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2011 10:49 AM   in reply to pin05h

flex 4.5

Window xp sp3

wamp

This worked for me.

debug your application en FLEX, when the message appears (bla bla bla 57%), go to your browser.

Right click on the application (in you browser), you will see a menu.

Select Debugger (you must have installed the flash player debug)

In the new window, select "localhost" and Click on the button "connect"

And that's all.

I hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2011 9:53 AM   in reply to A_O_9

I'm having the exact same problem that pin05h is having - debugging in AIR, Flash Builder hangs at 57%, get the same error message every time, not running phpadmin or wampserver. However, when I debug the application, not only do I have nowhere to right click and say Connect (the window does not appear until the error does), but the error only lasts 3 or 4 seconds.

How do I specify that I want the app to run in the browser? And, if we are using AIR-only features (which I'm not sure I am), how do we fix the debugging issue there? Thanks for working to fix this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2011 10:58 AM   in reply to Compynerd255

If you have many browsers installed in you pc, you can choice one of them doing this:

FLEX:

Window->Preferences

General->WebBrowser;

Then, you can select the browser where you have installed the debug plugin.

Now, in the code: Right click->Debug as Web Appication.

Message was edited by: A_O_9

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 8:02 PM   in reply to fedster72

hi i have the same problem, adobe flash builder keep proceeding on 57%, i tried the solution of disabling chrome plug in but nothing happens, please help

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 1:03 AM   in reply to nico8691

Are you sure you don't have a JS error in your HTML wrapper?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 4:36 AM   in reply to fedster72

Steps to resolve this issue, on window machine

• Go to control panel -> add and remove programs
    • Uninstall Flash player 64 Bit and Flash Player 64 Bit Active X Player
    • Re-install Flash Player 32-Bit version Debugger player.
    • Exit your browers if required and Restart you IDE.

This solved my problem, i hope it solves your problem with the warning message on debug click in the IDE.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 2:40 AM   in reply to krishnamrajgoud

If you are using Chrome and the Flash plugin, be sure to disable the build in Flash plugin in Chrome:

1. Type in you addressbar about:plugins.
    2. Click on details (in the upper right corner).
    3. Scroll to the flash plugin. Here you see two files (if you installed a debug version yourself).
    4. Disable the build in Flash plugin (which is located inside the chrome install folder).
    5. Restart Chrome, and start debugging your flash content.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 5:52 AM   in reply to Flex harUI

Hi,

I'm facing same issue, "Failed to connect;session time out". For the background, I'm using FB 3 and IE . A strange thing is happening in my Flex Builder though, for one application the debugger is working successfully but for the other its giving this error at 91% launch.

Please suggest.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 6:13 AM   in reply to NehArr

Open the Progress Panel (Window>Show View>Other>Progress) and click any red boxes you see there. What has happened is that FB is still compiling the project, but has already launched the browser window. Since the Browser really couldn't load the swf, which was still compiling, you're just kind of "stuck." Once everything cancels out, close the browser and click the "Run" or "Debug" button again. You should find that this time the file launches right off, as it was compiled last time.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2012 4:40 PM   in reply to fedster72

I have the same issue on FB 4.6 when connecting to IE 9.0.8... for a debugging session. Can't get past 57%

Funny thing is - the environment WORKS FINE for many sessions - and then just stops working after a while.

Cleaning the project, restarting FB, killing tasks... all do nothing.

I can't right-click on the application to get the player's context menu (as suggested above), because the app is not yet running! IE just dings the system bell when I try that.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 8:06 PM   in reply to AlHolden

The workaround I've discovered - which works specifically for the situation described above - is to...

Keep an eye on the FB launch progress indicator as you start your debug session, after the blank IE window appears.

If you see it hanging at 57%, rapidly click the cancel and reload icons on the IE browser. The flash movie then loads as expected - still in debug mode.

HTH

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 8:17 AM   in reply to fedster72

I had the same problem with a web application in Firefox, FB 4.7, Win 7 64-bit. What worked for me was both of the following:

1. run FB as Administrator. (e.g., right-click the icon in the start menu and select Run As Administrator)
    2. if not running as Administrator, browse to the web application (e.g., go to localhost:8080/MyWebApp, or wherever your app is running). Once the app loads, the debugger kicks in.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2013 5:52 AM   in reply to Barticula

I've actually found a couple of scenarios recently where the debugger failed to connect that in retrospect should have been obvious, but weren't up front. These are worth checking for as well:

1. Check to make sure your swf is compiled with debug information (if you're working between Flash Builder and Flash Pro, the default when you compile from FP is to leave this information out).
    2. If you have some sort of process up front to get into the swf (for example you have to log in because you're testing that the credentials are being set properly via flash vars), make sure that the code isn't redirecting to a different location than you thought. I recently brought down code to localhost that someone else had written, and I couldn't figure out why the debugger wouldn't connect. It was because the code was hard-coded to launch a swf on the server which, you guessed it, had been compiled without debug info.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 1:20 PM   in reply to VRPDeveloper

1) Clean the project and try. - works for me (y)

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points