Skip navigation
kswanzy
Currently Being Moderated

How to Host completed Captivate Content

Jul 4, 2010 9:32 AM

I thought completed Captivate 5 Content could be hosted on Acrobat.com.  I see how to upload and share content for reviews.  I have attempted to upload a project and all that I see will upload is a zip and pdf file but not cptx.  I thought the option would exist to upload a compteted project for a learning and that Acrobat.com would offer a link that would launch the project.

I would prefer to share the swf content and not a pdf as not all of our users have Acrobat Reader 9.

Is it possible to host a captivate project in Acrobat.com so I can have learners use the content?  If so how?

Do I need a Connect Pro account?  If so will I need a Meeting Account such as the one for $55/month that is available for a single host.  I worked with one of the large teleconferance providers and they seemed to think I needed a Connect Pro Account with Presentation enabled and Author with no Meeting.  Look like this would upload content only.

Or is Screencast.com an option?

My intent is create short 5 to 10 minute demonstrations of software for training and to also develop more comprehensive Lessons.  The Acrobat.com LMS will work for my needs.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 5, 2010 4:03 AM   in reply to kswanzy

Hello there,

You can share SWFs from Adobe Captivate 5 posted to Acrobat.com but you cannot host your courses. Once you share or upload a SWF to Acrobat.com, you learners would then need to download the SWF files to their local computers and view the eLearning locally.

If you want to go down the Adobe Acrobat Connect Pro route then you could publish your course directly to your Connect Pro server (File > Publish > Adobe Acrobat Connect Pro). Adobe Captivate offers great integration with Acrobat Connect Pro. If you were to invest in the Training module you could then track your learners as well.

You can learn more about Adobe Acrobat Connect Pro for eLearning from this web address.

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatconnectpro/elearning/benefits.htm l

However, you could just publish your files (HTML and SWF) to a web server and provide your learners access to them that way. As you have already mentioned Acrobat.com and the Adobe Quiz Results Analyzer - AIR application offer a great alternative to having to invest in an LMS.

Best regards,

Mark

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2010 10:27 AM   in reply to kswanzy

You can publish Captivate content to any web server. The finished product is just HTML, JavaScript, and Flash. If you need user accounts and tracking, you'll either need an LMS (e.g. Moodle) or some other solution. Captivate 5 can leverage Acrobat.com for posting and aggregating quiz results. I believe your end-users would need Acrobat.com accounts (free) to use this feature, though.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2010 12:54 PM   in reply to kswanzy

kswanzy --

All of the responses are accurate, though I feel that Captivate's new " Internal Server " tracking option hasn't been addressed fully.

Using an existing web server (if your company has one) or purchasing a domain name and hosting service needn't be an expensive or daunting proposition. Here's the basic scoop:

1. Purchase a domain name for less than $12 (one year, one-time charge).
    2. Sign up for hosting for as little as $8.95/month.
    3. Before publishing your project, you'll select "Internal Server" from Captivate 5's Quiz Preferences panel and enter a URL where the quiz results should be written.
    4. Publish and upload your Captivate files to your new server, making sure to include two PHP files Adobe provided with Captivate. You will simply send learners to that server URL to view your course, and their quiz results will be written to a folder on that server. Everything's in one place!
    5. You can still use Captivate Quiz Results Analyzer to generate reports -- just like you would when using Acrobat.com. You just need to open the Preferences panel and insert a URL that points to the results on your server.

Rather than wait for others to say so, I'll admit to leaving out a few details for the sake of clarity -- but they're MINOR details. Nonetheless, the benefit of going this route is that it can be less expensive than subscribing to Acrobat.com.

I'm a subscriber to Acrobat.com and will continue to use it for meetings and document sharing -- it's a great resource, and our clients love it. However, if you don't have a need for those additional capabilities, take a moment to explore this alternative. The skills required are pretty minimal, and even if there's a small learning curve for you, I think you'll be glad you took the challenge!

Randall Bean

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2010 4:04 PM   in reply to rtc2010

I did my first test of this today and really liked it. It's a simple solution and, with a little tinkering, it could be repurposed in a lot of ways (to write to a server-side database, for example), and could be re-implemented for other platforms. Nice.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2010 9:39 PM   in reply to rtc2010

What two php files are you talking about?  I have loaded the InternalServerReporting.php. (unedited version) to my server.  When I try to access this file in a web browser I do not get and error (so should be good).  When I post results it says it is successful, but I do not see any new files in CaptivateResults folder (which I also created).  Do I need to load the other php file you are talking about?

Thanks,

Jo

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2010 11:42 AM   in reply to James Martin

I have not tried to use the internal server yet because ultimately I would just like to publish to a server side database. Has anyone tried this yet? Is there any special instructions I should know of?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2010 2:46 PM   in reply to Shaun__Mc

The data Captivate sends when using the internal server method is in XML

format. The standard PHP script Adobe provided simply writes that XML data

as a record in a specific folder. However, you could write your own server

side script to parse the XML data and write it to a database. I haven't done

that yet, but it's clearly possible. I'm thrilled that Adobe has finally

opened up the tracking data, and look forward to tackling that in coming

months.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2010 7:50 PM   in reply to rtc2010

In rfc2010 July 8th post:

" Publish and upload your Captivate files to your new server, making sure to include two PHP files Adobe provided with Captivate"

What are the two PHP files?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2010 9:10 AM   in reply to MSC81501

The two PHP files (included with Captivate) are:

• internalserverread.php
    • internalServerReporting.php

You have to dig around just a bit to find them. On the Windows 7 (64-bit) machine, you'll find them here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 5\Templates\Publish

If you're running XP or the 32-bit version of Vista or Windows 7, the path is probably quite similar. It will probably be C:\Program Files instead of C:\Program Files (x86).

NOTE:

I initially had some trouble getting the results to populate in the Quiz Results Analyzer once I published the content up to my LINUX-based server. I contacted Adobe for help and though they didn't say precisely what the problem was, I think the scripts that shipped with Captivate 5 (in July) had been tested only on a Windows-based server. After a little troubleshooting, they got it to work on my LINUX server.

The point is, if your web host is running a Windows-based server, it should work right out of the box. If it's a LINUX or UNIX server, you might need a little help.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2010 7:35 PM   in reply to rtc2010

Thanks,

Jo

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2010 6:42 AM   in reply to rtc2010

I'm with you. I did some more work with the Internal Server reporting option yesterday. And it's really quite good. There's even a decent tutorial of how to use it included with Captivate 5. You can access it by clicking the Tutorials link on the welcome screen and then choosing Alternate Reporting. Or you can launch it directly off your drive (in Windows XP) from this path:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 5\cp_tutorials\index.html

It even walks you through installing WampServer, for people who don't have a web host, for testing it out.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2010 12:17 PM   in reply to James Martin

Thanks - I'll give it a try.

jo

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2010 2:52 AM   in reply to kswanzy

Hi

Has anyone been able to store the result's in a database yet, rather than stroing it as a file on the server??

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 9:01 AM   in reply to rtc2010

rtc2010, can you provide some insight into how Adobe was able to get your PHP scripts to work on the Linux server? Would you be willing to share the modified PHP scipts they provided you?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 2:38 PM   in reply to kswanzy

I'm having an issue trying to publish a Captivate Video Demo directly to Adobe Connect. I'm not seeing an option to publish straight to Connect within Captivate. Here is what I'm seeing on my end:

publishing window.png

menu.png

Does anyone have any insight? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Matt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points