Skip navigation
CruelRhetoric
Currently Being Moderated

How To Turn Off Auto GAP Filling/Shifting In Elements?

Jul 8, 2010 11:50 AM

Just curious.  It is driving me crazy!!!!  If I find a cool picture or video clip that is perfect for the end of the video while yet still in the middle of the project, its placement will keep jumping up to the section where I am currently importing.  I mean, I can not even shorten the length of an object without the latter object inching its way up to my current position...  I don't like to work like this, please help.  I've searched the options and the forum, but I am on a deadline for todays video.

I'm thinking about taping the CTRL button down...  but would that interfere with other operations? (seriously)

Thanks!!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 8, 2010 12:01 PM   in reply to CruelRhetoric

The Ctrl key will allow you to alter a Clip, without closing up the gap (Rippling down the Timeline). [Note: PrE is just the opposite of PrPro, where you NEED to hold down Ctrl, to get the Ripple. That always keeps me hopping - which program am I in???]

As for dragging to the Timeline, PrE does have a habit of doing a Ripple Insert, and on a particular Video Track. A PrE expert will have to give you tips on how to address that behavior. I use PrPro mostly, and it has several Insert options. I'm sure that there are tricks to get around PrE's predisposition, but I do not know what they are.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2010 12:18 PM   in reply to CruelRhetoric

That can happen, unfortunately.

The best solution I've found is to right-click on the clip and select Unlink Audio and Video. Then click off the clip to unselect it and select only the audio portion.

Right-click on it and select Clear (rather than Delete).

Hopefully, it doesn't happen often enough that all those clicks don't become too annoying.

Lots of great tips and hidden tools like that in my books, by the way -- available on Amazon.com and at the Muvipix.com store.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2010 12:24 PM   in reply to CruelRhetoric

If you have a muxed (Multiplexed with both Audio & Video in one file) Clips, and wish to just remove the Audio, Alt+click on that, and Delete (or Rt-click and choose Clear). That will leave your Video in place, untouched.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - now, if you have say a Soundtrack Clip, spanning many of your Video Clips, and wish to Delete one (or more) of those AND have the gap close, you have an issue. The spanning Audio Clip (could also be a spanning Video Clip on a higher Track), will prevent the gap from closing up. That does not sound like anything that you are having a problem with, but wanted to point that behavior out - just in case.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2010 1:33 PM   in reply to CruelRhetoric

The trick is to do all of your Video editing, before adding a Clip that spans them, either on the Audio, or the Video Tracks. Otherwise, it is a slightly tedious process of Selecting the following Clips in that Track, and then dragging them to close up the gap. Unfortunately, PrE has not added Lock Tracks, which can make the Selection process a lot easier, as you would just Lock the Tracks that you do not wish to make Selections from, then "lasso" all following Clips in the Track you are working on, without having to be careful to NOT lasso Clips on the other Tracks. Maybe in PrE 9?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 9:28 PM   in reply to CruelRhetoric

The quick and easy ways to get around this...

Deleting:

• Right-click, Select "clear"

-or-

• Shift + Delete

Trimming:

• CTRL + Drag edge

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status