Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Windows Indexing - What is It, and How Can it Affect Me?

Jul 8, 2010 11:43 AM

Tags: #windows_indexing

What is Windows Indexing, how do I use it, and why might it be getting in the way, when I am doing Video editing?

Well, most versions of Windows has a feature, called Windows Indexing. This is a little application that roams your system, looking for files, that it can Index, so that Searches are quicker. For many computers, it causes no problems, as it goes about looking at your DOC, and TXT files, compiling indexes to speed up Searches, especially for content. When it’s working, it’s behind the scenes, and usually causes no problems. When a DOC or TXT file changes, or is created, it will Lock that file, while it searches through its content for future Searching.

Now, when one is doing Video editing, they are working with some large files. Windows Indexing cannot glean anything from the AV files, or from the various working files, that an NLE (Non Linear Editor) creates, and updates constantly. The inability to extract useful info from those files does not stop Windows Indexing from trying - and trying. The files get locked, so that the user, or the NLE cannot access them, when needed. Every time that one of these files gets changed, or written, Windows Indexing will immediately Lock it, as it attempts to do its job. This can cause all sorts of issues, and many slowdowns and even program crashes.

One can find out if they have Windows Indexing turned ON, or not. It will be ON by default. Go to My Computer and click on each HDD (Hard Disk Drive), both internal and external, and then Rt-click, choosing Properties. In most versions of Windows, the Windows Indexing status will be shown near the bottom of the drop-down menu.

This differs by version, but one can usually turn it OFF for the entire HDD, or can limit it to just certain folders. I turn it OFF, as I mostly do Video and image editing on my computers, but some do leave it on, but just for folders with their DOC and TXT files, as it does speed up Searches, and Windows Indexing can speed those up, for the DOC, TXT and some similar files.

Hope that this explains why one might be getting “access denied,” “file locked,” and other errors, or major slowdowns, especially when working with large AV files, or perhaps when writing a DVD to a folder. Also, Render files can get locked by Windows Indexing, as it struggles to do its job.

Hunt

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 17, 2011 4:11 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

for the indexing, mines says that Indexing is not running. is that good or?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)