Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Extra space between paragraphs: is there a way to delete that?

Jul 8, 2010 8:59 PM

I am importing text from a word document to format in InDesign. It' 150 pages of a book that I'll layout.

I made a mistake when writing the book with word by creating a space between every paragraph, which I now want to get rid of.

Is there a way to automate this with InDesign? Is there some way to automatically delete the extra space betwen my paragraphs and add an indent instead?

Replies
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jul 8, 2010 9:06 PM   in reply to craigatadobe12345

Of course! The usual answer is to find-and-replace ^p with ^p^p. ^p represents the paragraph break character.

You should not replace it with an indent. Instead, you should set the first-line indent attribute in the Paragraph panel. Or better still, do so with a Paragraph Style.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 8, 2010 9:41 PM   in reply to craigatadobe12345

Hi craigatadobe12345

You can do it by by seaching "^p^p" in find and replace "^p^t" with Find/Replace window. This will remove the extra line and set a tab to indent the text.

Please find below the screenshot of the same. Hope it helps...

Best,

Anil Yadav

Search_Replace.JPG

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jul 8, 2010 9:44 PM   in reply to Anil Yadav

Again, it's really not a good idea to use a tab for the first-line indent of a paragraph. It makes it a lot more annoying to change later (you have to mess with tab tops instead of the dedicated paragraph-indent).

Edit: whoops, I see my original instructions were backwards! Of course I meant replace ^p^p with ^p.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2010 2:46 AM   in reply to craigatadobe12345

The sample script, Find Change by List, which is installed by default since CS3, not only includes this fix, but also removes multiple spaces after a period, spaces at the end of a paragraph, and tabs at the start, among other things. Check it out -- it's very useful.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2010 2:55 AM   in reply to craigatadobe12345

craigatadobe12345 wrote:

I made a mistake when writing the book with word by creating a space between every paragraph, which I now want to get rid of.

Is there a way to automate this with InDesign? Is there some way to automatically delete the extra space betwen my paragraphs and add an indent instead?

When I read this I thought you meant you'd added space before or space after the paragraph under the "Spacing" section of the paragraph formatting dialog (which would be the "correct" way to do this) in Word, rather than hitting Enter to make a blank paragraph. If that were the case the above suggestions won't work and instead you'd have to either re-define the style to remove the spacing or select all and remove a manual override. You can do these "repairs" in Word, too, by the way, before you import.

One reason you should use spacing as part of a paragraph style definition rather than an empty paragraph is that it gets ignored at the top of a column so you don't have text that starts too low on the page.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2010 5:07 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

There's also a built in grep query to remove multiple returns and replace with a single return.

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points