Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS5 crashes when clicking on Edit menu or context menu

Jul 9, 2010 10:16 AM

I had this infuriating problem with InDesign CS4, found a few references to others having the same issue, but never any real solutions.  This problem seems to in InDesign CS5 as well.

With a document open, if I click the Edit menu or right-click anywhere in the document window (including in the pasteboard area... it does not have to be on an object), ID immediately freezes and I get the Windows 7 "Adobe InDesign CS5 has stopped working" dialog.

I've deleted the preferences, created a brand new one-page document, and the problem persists.  If no document is open, I can pull down the Edit menu just fine.  With a document open, ID crashes before it even draws the menu.  It does not matter whether I use the mouse or the keyboard to get to the Edit menu.  I can also right-click on things like palette tabs to bring up the context menu.  But I cannot right-click anywhere on the document itself without ID crashing.

The maddening thing is that the problem did not show up until some time today.  I've brought up an object's Effects window via right-click plenty of times, as well as used the Fitting context menu.  It was working fine last night and earlier this morning.  Then suddenly for no discernible reason, the crashes started happening.  I am not aware of any changes to my system that might reasonably cause this.  No new fonts, no Windows updates, no Adobe updates.

Any suggestions on how else I can troubleshoot this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 9, 2010 10:32 AM   in reply to BrianTao

If you edit the default paragraph style and change the font, and change the default font in the character panel, with nothing open, does it persist in a new doc with no content?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2010 11:40 AM   in reply to BrianTao

The purpose of the test was to see if the default font might be corrupt since you said the problem appeared in a new doc as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2010 1:27 PM   in reply to BrianTao

Starting to sound like a corrupt workspace. Are you trying to use one of the defaults, or a custom space?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2010 1:40 PM   in reply to BrianTao

You have to tell ID to remove your old prefs and workspaces when you uninstall or it leaves them there for the next time. Close ID, then go to to your user profile and delete anything in the Workspaces folder that says current workspace.xml in the name, then restart ID. That will reset all the workspaces to their default conditions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2010 1:53 PM   in reply to BrianTao

Resetting prefs does not affect workspaces, KB shorcut sets, scripts, or find/change queries which are stored in your profile.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2010 1:54 PM   in reply to BrianTao

So did getting rid of the current workspace configurations fix it?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2010 3:03 AM   in reply to BrianTao

I'm pretty mystified here now, too. It's possible the base workspace you've been using is corrupt, but I've never seen that except with a custom space, and it doesn't sound like you've saved the custom space.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2010 10:31 AM   in reply to BrianTao

Well, it is a USER forum, but we see a few Adobe employees from time to time. They actually do lurk in the background even if they aren't posting.

Are you using one of the predefined workspaces or a worksapce you saved with a new name? I've had some issues with an old workspace I tried to bring in from CS4 and ultimately I abandoned it and rebuilt from scratch.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2010 8:56 AM   in reply to BrianTao

Hello Brian,

do you have Open Office installed on the same machine?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2010 11:29 PM   in reply to BrianTao

Brian,

I noticed when I have Open Office started sometimes my InDesign crashes exactly the same way as you described. Because programs work in secured memory space I figured out that the only one thing that conects them is clipboard.

Sometimes if you ctrl+c some OO spread sheet, by accesing InDesign edit menu or content menu, InDesign crashes at once. In edit & content menus there is "paste" command. InDesign checks clipboard (I suppose it does) and some Open Office content in there makes it crash.

This is how I see it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2010 5:48 PM   in reply to BrianTao

I was just having a problem in ID CS5 that was whittled down to not being able to right click the screen. Reading this forum post it was determined I couldn't click Edit either without ID crashing. Sure enough, I had been working on an Open Office spreadsheet earlier and had cut and pasted three cells containing text. I rebooted my pc and ID is working perfect. After starting and stopping ID a few times I opened a spreadsheet, cut and pasted a few cells, closed Open Office and restarted ID. No more worky. I'll reboot and be happy knowing how to deal with this minor error until Adobe fixes it, but big big thanks to the above exchange for the temporary fix.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points