Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

"Photoshop CS3 has stopped working"

Jul 9, 2010 1:11 PM

I am running Photoshop CS3 Extended on a new Dell XPS 8000 under Windows 7 64-bit. It had been working all right until today. Now I get a Windows message, "Adobe Photoshop CS3 has stopped working." There have been no changes in my system configuration or software since yesterday, when it worked all right. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but still get the same message.

Replies
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jul 9, 2010 1:48 PM   in reply to w.d.oneil

The first thing to try is resetting your Photoshop preferences They remain around even when you uninstall an reinstall...

Do one of the following:

• Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings.

• (Mac OS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.

New Preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 9, 2010 5:03 PM   in reply to w.d.oneil

When something is working one day, but not the next, then something has changed. Your task is to figure out what has changed.

Things like simple OS updates can kill video drivers, and PS interfaces pretty closely with those, though not nearly as much as Adobe's video-editing PrPro. I'd start by updating that.

It that has no affect, then do a manual System Restore Point (for now), and boot to Safe Mode. Roll back to a System Restore Point from when it DID work, and test.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - if you have added any hardware, software or fonts (yes, fonts), please let us know.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jul 9, 2010 5:57 PM   in reply to w.d.oneil

If you on windows try a system restore to a checkpointed day when it still worked.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2010 8:19 PM   in reply to w.d.oneil

Best way is to look in Windows 7 event viewer. If something crashes or does not respond it will be listed in there. Post the results you find here.

Also if Dell puts a lot of crapware on their computers it could cause issues with other software not wanting to play well with others.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,528 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 9, 2010 8:47 PM   in reply to w.d.oneil

There is no way the System Restore feature takes 6 hours.  More like 6 minutes.

Read up on System Restore.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2011 10:26 PM   in reply to w.d.oneil

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop  CS3\Plug-Ins\Import-Export  Find a file named Twain_32.8BA. I simply  added a tilde (~) in front of the file name.Everything should work. (:

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2011 6:16 AM   in reply to w.d.oneil

maybe a newer version will not create this problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2011 7:31 AM   in reply to aycarter

THIS WORKED FOR ME!!!!  Thank you, AYCARTER!!  Been dealing with this for weeks!!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2011 7:33 AM   in reply to w.d.oneil

I was having the same issue....used AYCarter's solution....WOOHOO -- back up and running =D

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points