Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

"Update Template Files" not working, Dreamweaver CS5

Jul 9, 2010 7:27 PM

"Update Template Files" does not seem to be working in Dreamweaver CS5.

After making a change to a template and saving it, I get the "Update Template Files" dialog box. It lists all of the files based on the template. So, I click "Update". Then, the "Update Pages" dialog box appears. Any files to be updated already open in Dreamweaver are modified correctly - in memory, that is. However, closed files do not get modified. The "Update Pages" dialog box seems to just get hung up. It just sits there with a status of "Updating...".

Is this an installation issue? ... a template issue?  ... or what?

FYI: I am using the 32-bit version for 32-bit Windows Vista.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 10, 2010 5:29 AM   in reply to David Burkhart

Can you show us your template file's code and tell us what changes you make that don't get propagated, please?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2010 4:41 AM   in reply to David Burkhart

Things that resolve mysteriously also break mysteriously at the worst possible time!  Can you show me your template file, and describe what you were trying to update?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2010 5:50 AM   in reply to David Burkhart

The best way to share something like this for these purposes is to upload the file to some webspace and post a link to that file so that we can browse to the link, see the file's layout, and look at its code.  By using your current method, we are forced to download and open a file.  It's not as convenient by any means.

How come you are using the mobile DTD?

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//WAPFORUM//DTD XHTML Mobile 1.0//EN" "http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/xhtml-mobile10.dtd">

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2010 9:01 PM   in reply to David Burkhart

"After making a change to a template and saving it, I get the "Update  Template Files" dialog box. It lists all of the files based on the  template. So, I click "Update". Then, the "Update Pages" dialog box  appears. ...The "Update Pages" dialog box seems to just get hung up.  It just sits there with a status of "Updating..."."

I have this exact problem as was described above. I moved all the rules from the dw cs5 template that I am using to an external css file. (topmost.css in a folder named css off the site home). I have made many changes up to this point in the template (menus and other stuff) but I never changed a rule and the updates always worked as expected.. But this is the first time that I have moved all  the template's rules to an external css file. I get the dependent files dialog box and click on Update. Then  the "update pages" dialog box just hangs with the log showing the first htm file.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2010 5:04 AM   in reply to ursa1

I have this exact problem as was described above. I moved all the rules from the dw cs5 template that I am using to an external css file. (topmost.css in a folder named css off the site home). I have made many changes up to this point in the template (menus and other stuff) but I never changed a rule and the updates always worked as expected.. But this is the first time that I have moved all  the template's rules to an external css file. I get the dependent files dialog box and click on Update. Then  the "update pages" dialog box just hangs with the log showing the first htm file.

What happens if you just leave this process running?

Would it be possible to actually see the template page and its code?

Migrating CSS rules from an embedded stylesheet to an external one could not in itself have any impact on the ability of a template to function as a template or to propagate its changes to child pages.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2010 12:02 PM   in reply to David Burkhart

I am extremely skeptical that this would affect anything like that - do you have a specific reason for recommending it?  A better approach might be to first rebuild the site cache by using SITE | Advanced > Recreate Site Cache.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2010 12:28 PM   in reply to MurraySummers

If I leave it running, as I said before, the dialog box log shows

"updating", and shows the first htm file name and that's it - nothing

more. Normally, it takes about a second to update 18 files. I waited

over 2 minutes. However my good news is that I tried it again from

scratch and it worked. So I don't know what the difference between my

unsuccessful attempt and the successful one is, but I'm happy enough

right now. Thanks for your responses.

Murray ACP wrote on 11/12/2010 5:04 AM:

>> I have this exact problem as was described above. I moved all the rules from the dw cs5 template that I am using to an external css file. (topmost.css in a folder named css off the site home). I have made many changes up to this point in the template (menus and other stuff) but I never changed a rule and the updates always worked as expected.. But this is the first time that I have moved all  the template's rules to an external css file. I get the dependent files dialog box and click on Update. Then  the "update pages" dialog box just hangs with the log showing the first htm file.

>>    

What happens if you just leave this process running?

Would it be possible to actually see the template page and its code?

Migrating CSS rules from an embedded stylesheet to an external one could not in itself have any impact on the ability of a template to function as a template or to propagate its changes to child pages.

>

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2011 3:42 PM   in reply to David Burkhart

I've had this issue several times with 3 different templates since I upgraded to CS5 (Mac, OS 10.6). Rebuilding the site cache didn't seem to do anything, but restarting Dreamweaver took care of the problem. Not an ideal time to shut down the program when you're in the middle of an update, but nothing else seemed to work.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2011 11:42 PM   in reply to devicat8

Same problem here -- Templates always worked up to DW CS5. Now, occasionally, Templates don't update, and recreating site cache does not fix the problem; only closing down DW and restarting it fixes the problem.

No nested templates; no templates renamed to .html, etc. Just a buggy Dreamweaver.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2011 2:04 PM   in reply to David Burkhart

THe same thing happened to me. What a nasty bug!

Mary Helen Fein

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2011 1:44 PM   in reply to David Burkhart

The same thing happened to me! Restarting Dreamweaver solved the problem. My configuration is Win 7 64-bit on VMWare Fusion, I first thought it had something to do with writing to the Mac filesystem, but it wasn't a problem after I restarted DW.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2011 1:15 PM   in reply to karin_newport

I am having a somewhat similar problem with templates since upgrading to cs5.

None of the templates can be used and I get an error "unbalanced #EndEditable tag"

Any ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2011 2:31 PM   in reply to c8t

Sounds like Dreamweaver is telling you that you're missing a template tag, or there are too many, or one's in the wrong place, etc. I'd take a look at your Template.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2011 5:52 AM   in reply to Diane Vigil

Yes, I have been troubleshooting the template  last week and this week-- using hints from forums, etc. 

Seems odd that all 6 templates for this site get the same error after upgrading to CS5 --

something is up.

Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2011 7:44 AM   in reply to c8t

I know what you mean. What version did you upgrade from?

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2011 8:11 AM   in reply to Diane Vigil

CS3 to CS5

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2011 8:16 AM   in reply to c8t

Okay. Strange that that would happen.

Might be worth it to re-do the Templates.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2011 9:33 AM   in reply to Diane Vigil

Looks like "we" (in house tech support) found /html tags in the middle of every template - CS3 did not have a problem with them for 2-3 years!- CS5 seems a bit more sensitive, which is why the problem cropped up after the upgrade.    Full steam ahead again.  Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2011 9:56 AM   in reply to c8t

Excellent. Glad you all resolved it.

Just as a note for anyone reading this in the future, I'd run into a similar circumstance years ago after upgrading to ... DW 8? The closing </head> tag had somehow gotten removed, and so Dreamweaver gave a warning upon opening the Template. I finally read through the code and discovered the missing tag.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 8:23 AM   in reply to David Burkhart

If you click in the white area of the Update Pages dialog after hitting start; it should kick off the update.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points