Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why Does 640kbs Dolby AC3 Crash Encore CS3?

Jul 10, 2010 3:02 AM

Why is Encore CS3 limited to 512kbps Dolby AC3 Surround when Blu-ray spec allows up to 640kbps Dolby AC3 Surround?

I have been unable to import a 640kbps AC3 track into Encore because of consistent crashing of Encore. I have had to re-encode all my tracks to the lossier 512kbps AC3 in order to successfully import and author a BD program. Why isn't Encore CS3 Blu-ray compliant?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 11, 2010 4:19 AM   in reply to MarkWeiss

Because that bitrate is out of spec for Dvd-Video.

The specs for Dolby Digital Surround on DVDV are either 384kbps or 448kbps.

If you have space to include 640kbps (Pink Floyd did this with "Pulse", rather stupidly IMHO as they have to include a spec stream at 448 as well, so with that taken into consideration they should have used hlaf-bitrate DTS instead.

Encore will throw out any file that is not to DVD specs. 640kbps Dolby Digital is out of spec.

Simples.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2010 1:24 AM   in reply to MarkWeiss

MarkWeiss wrote:

Does this mean that I should not be using Encore to author Blu-ray, which uses 640kbps AC3 streams?

I know DVD is limited to a paltry sub-MP3-quality 448kbps (that's only 80kbps per channel, 2/3 of MP3's most common bitrate of 128). I'm authoring a Blu-ray disc and the audio needs to be at Blu-ray data rate of 640kbps as it's a very demanding audiophile recording that really should be in 24-bit PCM, but I see no means of getting Encore to accept a 5-channel PCM audio file, so I'm using Dolby AC3, which seems to be the only multichannel option in Encore. Problem is, at 448kbps, much of the impact is lost, compared with the PCM source files. I've been able to get Encore to accept 512kbps files, but 640kbps causes Encore to generate a program error and crash every time.

Blu-ray supports 640kbps AC3 files, so if Encore is supposed to author Blu-ray, why doesn't it comply with the Blu-ray spec for audio?

Ah - the dreaded Blu Ray. Mea Culpa - I thought you were authoring for DVD-Video

Of course 640kbps is correct for BD specs.....although the words "Audiophile" & "Dolby Digital" are mutually exclusive, to my mind.

You cannot use any lossless multichannel format at all in Encore - this is something that has irked me since forever - both the mandatory BD Surround Lossless formats (LPCM & DTS-HD MAS) are unsupported.

I think you can use straight DTS as a sole stream in a BD disc (although not 100% certain) but you would certainly be able to include a 24-bit stereo stream as well as a DTS stream. That would definitely work.

Let me go look at the specs, and

post back.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2010 4:02 AM   in reply to Neil Wilkes

I poked around a bit; this is the closest help page I found (CS5) that I thought should provide this information, or give a heads up/link to another page.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/encore/cs/using/WS5C9E1CF8-B5BC-436f-89D3- 61DDC02A2C47a.html

Someone might add a comment to that page if a better one is not identified.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2010 6:41 AM   in reply to MarkWeiss

To create replicable output as Blu Ray, you need CS5 - CS3 & CS4 cannot be replicated.

You'll also need an AACS license.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points