• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unlocking objects in CS5???

Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2010 Jul 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I am trying out CS5 to see if I can switch from CS2. This far, I am not at all convinced.

In CS2 locked objects can be selected by frame, then right-clicked to unlock or to use some other options.

When I open the same file in CS5, I can't even select the locked objects anymore. Only option I can use is to either unlock every object on the entire spread!?? OR to try locating that little lock icon for each object - something which is IMPOSSIBLE for objects that is below other objects if they share upper left corners. It doesn't matter if the object below is much larger than the object above, if the object above share the upper left corner with the object below.

How do I make CS5 to be able to select locked objects like in CS2?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is now a preference setting.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But how do I unlock the object? There's no option for unlocking when I right-click the selected object.

Am I missing something here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you expand the layer that the locked object is on you will see sublayers that display a lock icon for each locked object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to both you guys for the answers! Too bad its not as easy as in CS2.

Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been expiramenting with this a bit and found that when you allow locked objects to be selected (as per the preference setting) you can unlock an object that is behind another object even what the bottommost object doesn't appear to have a visible lock icon.

If you select the object that you want to unlock, and it's upper left is behind another object, clicking where the lock icon would be will unlock the object that is selected. The object that is above it and unselected is still locked and unaffected. The clue is to look for the cursor to change to a little unlocked padlock. This does require you to be able to roughly guess where the lock icon would be, which could be difficult in a complicated layout, but it does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's should also be a lock "adornment" on the edge of the frame somewhere near the upper left corner that can be clicked to unlock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2010 Jul 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why on earth is there no "Unlock object" or similar option, in the right-click menu, as it is in CS2???? Is there even a reason for that? I gotta say CS5 brings some nice new features, but it also take away a few ones too. I don't know what the meaning is with making a new "improved" product inferior.

Can this at least be fixed by scripting? So the Unlock command is added in the right-click menu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Peter just explained, it's only one click away by clicking on the lock. As for scripting, you can pop over to the scripting forum and ask there. You can communicate directly with Adobe here: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since there is no command, apparently, to unlock a selected object, only to unlock all, it seems unlikley that one could add it to the context menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I wouldn't hesitate to file a feature request for ht enext version: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since there is no command, apparently, to unlock a selected object, only to unlock all, it seems unlikley that one could add it to the context menu.

But there IS a command to unlock a selected object . So one can of course use a keyboard combination (shortcut) to do that. However, there's no such command present in any menu. It's not in the Objects menu, nor in the righ-click menu when selecting an object.

But the command is there and works. Why can't Adobe just add the command to the menu? It is after all the most needed command for locked objects, if one need to unlock

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps I should have said no MENU command. I'm no scripter, but everything I've seen added to the context menu has been available as a menu command somewhere else, so I don't really know if it's possible to add or not via script, but I suspect not. Wouldn't hurt to ask in the scripting forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And please don't get the impression that I think the lack of an Unlock commnad inthe context menu is a good thing. I'd love to see it added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thanks Peter. I'll ask in the scripting forum then!

Btw, in this case my biggest question is not why it's not why it's not in the context menu, but rather why it's disabled from the context menu in the first place, since it has been there before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of things have changed since CS2....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would assume it is missing from the context menu because of the changed default behavior of not allowing locked objects to be selected or changed in any way. InDesign's old way of doing things didn't truly lock down a locked object. With the addition of the lock icon, as well as the ability to lock and unlock objects through the expanded layers panel, Adobe probably assumed it was safe to remove unlock from the context menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I make CS5 to be able to select locked objects like in CS2?

Try:

Edit > Preferences > General > uncheck Prevent Selection of Locked Objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2010 Jul 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, that's already been covered in this thread. The remaining problem is not selecting locked objects, but rather to unlock them via the context menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines