Skip navigation
outpaddling
Currently Being Moderated

Error 1321.The Installer has insufficient privileges to ...

Jul 16, 2010 9:35 AM

Aloha:

The update for Acobat reader fails on my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit notebook PC. See error log below. Not only did the update fail, but it corrupted my current version and reader would not load due to main dll problem. I had to remove the reader and install version 8, the only other option on the Adobe downloads.

By the way, the solution in this article below does not work for Windows 7, but possibly could if someone would update the procedure.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403915.html

[2010-07-14 12:28:21] Adobe ARM 1.4.5.0 logging started.
[2010-07-14 12:28:21] Command Line: /PRODUCT:Reader /VERSION:9.0 /MODE:2
[2010-07-14 12:28:21] ProductCode: {AC76BA86-7AD7-FFFF-7B44-A91000000001}
[2010-07-14 12:28:21] ProductName: Adobe Reader 9.3 MUI
[2010-07-14 12:28:21] ProductVersion: 9.3.0
[2010-07-14 12:28:21] ProductRegistry: SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0
[2010-07-14 12:28:21] ProductInstallDir: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\
[2010-07-14 12:28:21] Found CommandLine preference AUTO_DOWNLOAD.
[2010-07-14 12:28:55] ArmUpdate record found.
[2010-07-14 12:28:55] Newer version ARM Update is not available.
[2010-07-14 12:28:55] New file object: AdbeRdrUpd932_all_incr.msp
[2010-07-14 12:28:55] New file object: AdbeRdrUpd933_all_incr.msp
[2010-07-15 05:29:40] InstallProductMsp...
[2010-07-15 05:29:40]    file - C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Reader\9.3\ARM\AdbeRdrUpd932_all_incr.msp;C:\Pro gramData\Adobe\Reader\9.3\ARM\AdbeRdrUpd933_all_incr.msp
[2010-07-15 05:29:40]    args -
[2010-07-15 05:30:04] Error 1321.The Installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\ACE.dll.
[2010-07-15 05:30:04] ** Setting Error Condition:
[2010-07-15 05:30:04]    Error Code: 1500

[2010-07-15 05:30:07] Installation error code:
[2010-07-15 05:30:07]    Error Code: 1603

[2010-07-15 05:30:07] Error Code: 1603

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 16, 2010 6:27 PM   in reply to outpaddling

Can I assume the following

• the update is initiated automatically (by AdobeARM)?
    • the account on which it was running was not an Administrator account?

Can you try to download and install the update manually, either running from an Administrator account, or run it 'As Administrator?  Download the update from http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.3.3/misc/AdbeRd rUpd933_all_incr.msp (if your Reader is 9.3.2), or download the full installer http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.3.3/enu/AdbeRdr 933_en_US.exe (Eglish version).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2010 7:43 PM   in reply to outpaddling

Since you are running the update from your Administrator account, you don't need to additionally 'Run as Administrator' (which you would do by right-clicking on the installer).

I think you should try to investigate that specific file that is mentioned in the error message: ACE.dll in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader - right-click on it and check the Properties & permissions.  Also check the install folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader itself.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2010 1:12 AM   in reply to outpaddling

I don't see any screen shots; use the camera icon to insert images into the post.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2010 7:50 PM   in reply to outpaddling

It looks OK to me too, but I really don't know what's wrong.

I suggest that you uninstall the Reader completely, then download and run the full 9.3.3 installer http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.3.3/enu/AdbeRdr 933_en_US.exe

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2010 8:26 PM   in reply to outpaddling

Just to clarify: this is a user-to-user forum, and Adobe support staff does not usually make any appearances here.

Regarding your problem: it is one that I have never seen before.  Unfortunately I am not familiar with Windows 7 (I am still using Windows 2000 and XP), so I do not have any additional suggestions.

Hopefully someone with Windows 7 experience may be able to help you.  See also this post http://forums.adobe.com/message/2998888#2998888

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2010 12:56 PM   in reply to outpaddling

I am having the same problems... It won't let me download, and I'm an admin, and I have no idea what to do.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2010 7:51 AM   in reply to outpaddling

I had the similar problem, and it got resolved with the below steps,

1. Uninstall Reader 9
    2. If uninstalled then please navigate to this folder, C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\ and then DELETE all the leftover files/folders
    3. And then run the full installer reader 9.3.3 from the location, http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.3.3/enu/AdbeRdr 933_en_US.exe

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2010 2:23 AM   in reply to outpaddling

Well, in that case, MSI logging information would be useful to track down the issue. Can you enable the MSI log as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300 And then try to install Reader 933 full installer, once the error 1321 comes up, go to temp folder (type %temp% at the run dialog) and look for the MSI log (The new log's file name is random, but begins with the letters "Msi" and end with a .log extension)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2010 5:41 AM   in reply to subrato namata

I have the exact same thing except it is sporatic... We did about 100 upgrades and 4 of them failed 2 on windows 7 and 2 on XP so I would think you cant call it just one OS.

This is the failure I am getting in all my cases..

Error 1321.The Installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe.

And the installation is being performed by an AD Domain Admin Service Account so it has administrative rights...

Anyone else have anything new to add..

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2010 5:19 AM   in reply to outpaddling

The same information to enable MSI log for Vista can be used for Win 7 too. The problem can be tracked down if,

1. MSI log can be provided, Or,

2. Command cacls.exe can be tried at your end, The KB article http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403915.html has the command line info at the end, which can be used for Win 7 as well. The below procedure can be followed,

Note: You must elevate the level of permissions for Win 7 with UAC enabled.
    On Windows 7
    Choose Start > Programs > Accessories.
    Right-click on Command Line and select Run As Administrator.

If Error 1321 is being caused due to some file e.g. if it's ACE.dll, then it's containing folder i.e. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader" is to be mentioned in the below command line. The below 2 commands in blue can be typed at the command line and the end press Enter Key. Hope it helps.

C:\Windows\system32>cacls "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader" /T /E /C /G Administrators:F
    C:\Windows\system32>cacls "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader" /T /E /C /G SYSTEM:F

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2010 11:39 PM   in reply to outpaddling

Looking at your issue, it seems like your permission has been somehow corrupted and even the installer is not able to modify the dll. You will have to get rid of the those files (e.g. JP2KLib.dll etc.) which are not being modified by the installers. My suggestion would be to follow the below steps,

1. Download Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, though it's not supported by Microsoft anymore. But it's available from other third party software download sites

2. Remove Reader 9 with the help of this utility

3. Navigate to the folder, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\" and Manually DELETE the folder "Reader 9.0"

Hope, it helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2010 8:07 AM   in reply to outpaddling

Since, your attempt to uninstall Reader and manually delete the files didn't work, it most certainly is a case of a corrupt installation.

As mentioned earlier, you can download the Microsoft Cleaner Utility (not supported anymore) from the below location to clean out any leftover traces of the application after uninstallation.:

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4459

You shoud be able to successfully install Adobe Reader after the cleanup is completed.

Hope this works for you...!!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2010 2:31 AM   in reply to outpaddling

Hi outpaddling,

Remember, you tried the "cacls" command and it did not work for you. I spent sometime on it and found that on Win7, there's command called "takeown" on Win7, which allows an administrator to recover access to a file/folder that was denied by re-assigning file ownership.

Could you try the following?

Note: You must elevate the level of permissions for Win 7 with UAC enabled.
    On Windows 7
    Choose Start > Programs > Accessories.
    Right-click on Command Line and select Run As Administrator.

If Error 1321 is being caused due to some file e.g. if it's ACE.dll, then it's containing folder e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0" is to be mentioned in the below command line. The below command in blue can be typed at the command line and the end press Enter Key.

C:\Windows\system32>takeown /f "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0" /r /d y && icacls "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0" /grant administrators:F SYSTEM:F /t

After running the command, you should be seeing something like this,

Successfully processed 1367 files; Failed processing 0 files

And then try installing Reader 9.3.3 from http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.3.3/enu/AdbeRdr 933_en_US.exe

Hope, it helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2011 4:58 AM   in reply to outpaddling

In google search "takeownership.zip" and download it.It's just a registry entry.install it.Now install adobe reader.It will show the same error 1321.Note the path of the folder in which it will show privilege problem(in my case it was C:\ProgramData\Adobe).Now go to that path and right click on that folder(in my case it was adobe folder) and select "Take ownership" option.Now hit retry in installation window.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2014 5:02 PM   in reply to subrato namata

I have the same issue however there is no Adobe subfolder under C:\Program Files.   The error message 1321 says "The installer has insufficient privilges to modify the file C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader\plug_ins3d\...... but there is no "Adobe" folder under C:\program files. I made sure that there are no hidden folders. I don't have previous version of adobe. My asus laptop crashed so I had to re-install windows 7 starter. My pc is clean. However, when I tried to install adobe I get an error message. I did notice that there is an adobe folder under C:\Program Data folder (but there is no Reader subfolder under Adobe). I am not sure how to solve this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2014 7:57 AM   in reply to serkanokar

Here's what worked for me (Windows 8.1, upgrading from 11.0.05 to 11.0.06)

• Downloaded install file, left one copy in the download folder, made a copy on the desktop (this is because running the install deletes the downloaded file...this way I didn't have to go back and redownload every time there's an issue)
    • Right clicked the desktop file, selected "run as adminstrator"
    • Got the error message "1321: etc., etc." I highlighted the full path from the error message and copied it using CTRL-C. Knowing that some folks install in various directories, the install is looking at the current directory structure in the computer being worked on. Copying the path gives you the exact path the installer was looking at, which could be different than other users, and prevents typos when searching for the correct folder.
    • Opened File Explorer and pasted the path into the address bar
    • Clicked the "up" arrow to go up one folder
    • Right clicked the folder I just left and selected Properties
    • Changed "read only" to NOT read only
    • Closed window
    • Right clicked desktop file and ran as adminstrator
    • Successful install happened!

It looks more cumbersome than it is, and we shouldn't have to do this, but it's really a pretty simple fix.

Good luck!!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points