Skip navigation
Ed_Eubanks
Currently Being Moderated

Multiple Footnote/Endnote Threads

Jul 16, 2010 5:29 PM

I’m totally new to InDesign, having done all of my recent layout in Apple’s Pages. (I did use PageMaker back in the early 90s, when it was still and Aldus product!) I’m using InDesign CS5.

I’m working on a layout for a book that will use three different types of notes: two sets of footnotes (one references, and a different set for annotations) and one set of endnotes for each chapter (for editorial comments). I can create drafts in Mellel that offer this sort of flexibility, but I’m at a loss for how to lay it out in InDesign.

Could anyone help me learn/figure out how to tackle this kind of layout complexity? Thanks in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 16, 2010 5:36 PM   in reply to Ed_Eubanks

Sorry to disappoint you this soon, but InDesign's note features lack about everything one would expect from an otherwise advanced page layout program ... If you read Improve Footnotes Please (in the Feature Request Forum) you can see how many people ask for improvements -- the footnote function, crippled as it may be, has not changed at all since its introduction in CS2. Worse still, in that version it already had various bugs that seem to have gotten worse with the introduction of other features.

File an official Feature Request with Adobe -- the link to the Feature Request Form is in that forum discussion.

(For the record: neither separate footnote threads, nor endnotes, nor re-start numbering -- other than at '1' again -- are possible.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2010 3:30 AM   in reply to Ed_Eubanks

If you place a PDF, for all intents and purposes youare placing an image. You cannot use the built-in index features, or even find text inside a placed PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2010 8:47 AM   in reply to Ed_Eubanks

As far as I know, yes, but why not place one as a test and see what you can do.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2010 2:39 PM   in reply to Ed_Eubanks

One more follow-up: anyone using Sonar InFnote or Cross References Pro (from DTP Tools) as plugins to solve these issues? If so, two questions:

1) do both work well/easily with CS5?

2) do either or both support the robust levels of notes that I’m talking about?

1) I don't know.

2) I believe the answer is "no" to both...

Harbs

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2010 8:42 PM   in reply to Ed_Eubanks

You coulkd use Indesign's footnotes for one of your note threads, then use cross-references to do the other two threads, as described here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1318957#1318957

http://blogs.adobe.com/indesigndocs/2009/03/endnotes_in_indesign_cs4.h tml

http://indesignsecrets.com/bringhurst-on-building-endnotes-in-cs4.php

Peter

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers