Skip navigation
SeattlePE8User
Currently Being Moderated

PS Elements 8 - "Save As" PDF File Sizes Huge

Jul 19, 2010 7:35 AM

In Photoshop Elements 8.0, Photoshop PDF file sizes are huge when using the "save as" function, using JPEG compression.

No matter which "Image Quality" is used, the resultant PDF is huge. At "high" quality the file is 20 MB. At "medium" quality, the file is 15 MB. At "low" quality, the file is also 15 MB, much too large. This was not a problem in older versions of Elements. File sizes were typically just more than 3 MB.

If I save the image as JPEG files using "maximum" (10) quality, "medium" (5) quality, and "low" (3) quality, I can insert the image(s) into Word and use the Acrobat Pro PDF printer driver to get PDF file sizes of 1.8 MB, 1.3 MB, and 1.1 MB. These PDF files are perfect. Even the lowest quality is perfectly readable for my purposes. The older versions of Elements worked fine so I didn't need to take the step of saving in JPEG format, importing to Word and then printing.

Does anyone know if Photoshop Elements Version 8 is capable of saving PDF files in the smaller file sizes?  Is there a plug-in I can purchase that would give better results?

Photoshop Elements Version 8.0 (20090905.r.605812) with all updates applied.

OS = Windows 7 Enterprise (6.1, Build 7600).

Thank you for any help or adevice.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 19, 2010 12:47 PM   in reply to SeattlePE8User

Is this a single file comparable to the files

you were saving in earlier versions or a PSE

(project file), which was not in some earlier versions?

If it's a pse file the size may be larger.

MTSTUNER

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2010 3:31 PM   in reply to MTSTUNER

I'm dealing with the same situation.

With Photoshop Elements I use to scan a picture at 300 dpi, save as PDF file, jpg compression medium low

quality and alway got files under 5 Mb, even lower than that. Colour or black and white pictures.

Now with Photoshop Elements 8.0 did the usual procedure but the pdf are huge, larger than 8 Mb, even more

than 10 Mb !

Am I missing any detail in settings program, perhaps ?

Thanks for any suggestions.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points