• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player linux, grey box issue (youtube vids and some applets do not display)

Jul 20, 2010 Jul 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted this question on my distro-specific forum as well as linuxquestions.org, however it appears to  be a unique problem, so here it is:

When viewing videos on youtube.com, most other websites, and when trying  to run certain flash games, the flash applet will not display (though  the audio will play). Instead of displaying the flash applet, there  will be a grey box where the flash video or applet would normally be.

This problem occurs on Firefox and Chromium, but not on Opera.

My Specs are as follows:
Distro: PCLinuxOS 2010 (32-bit)
flash-player-plugin: 10.1-2pclos2010
firefox: 3.6.6-1pclos2010
swfdec has never been installed (to my knowledge)

I did a lot of investigating about the problem but have turned up no  solutions thus far. Here are my results.

• Flash videos and applets which allow  access to the settings menu (like youtube played from their website) do  not display, however flash videos and applets which do NOT allow access  to the settings menu (including youtube videos embedded in other  websites) WILL display.
  • Reinstalling flash-player-plugin and firefox through synaptic does  not solve the problem (though note that PCLOS works with rpm files, not  deb files. apt4rpm does not support the remove --purge operation,  however reinstalls are said to overwrite custom configs with stock  ones.)
  • Creating a new firefox profile and/or starting FFox in safe-mode  does not solve the problem
  • Creating another user and running FFox from that user will  properly display flash videos
  • Comparing default plugins between my main user and new user shows  that there is no difference. So this likely rules out a defective  extension or plugin binary.
  • Deleting ~/tmp/plugtmp* folders when FFox is closed does not solve  the problem.
  • Removing the ~/.macromedia and ~/.adobe folders does not solve the  problem. (have checked permissions between the new test user and main  user, and they are equivalent)
  • Downloading libflashplayer.so from the Adobe website and copying it  to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins has no effect on the problem.

I'm thinking that there might be somewhere else that flash stores  configurations for my user, and that maybe the settings there are  corrupted and would need to be purged. However frantic googling has  turned up nothing useful so far.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 22, 2010 Jul 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have narrowed the problem down to it being a KDE issue, not a flash-player-plugin issue since the problem only occurs in KDE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 23, 2010 Jul 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a unique twist, the problem was not due to KDE, but was actually caused by faulty QTCurve (theme) settings from WITHIN KDE. KDE apps weren't affected, however GTK ones were (QT and GTK apps were both being themed by QTCurve, although only the GTK apps were acting up).

The problem was resolved by loading one of the presets from the QTCurve configurator, and then customizing it to taste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2010 Aug 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this is a KDE related issue or QTCurve.  At least for me.  I'm on XFCE4 and don't have QT on my system.

The videos work if they are linked to or embedded from another page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 26, 2010 Aug 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that is the case, then your grey box issue is different than my grey box issue -- since mine has already been solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2010 Aug 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem, at least in my case, was QtCurve's opacity. If I have opacity set to less than 100%, flash would not display for sites like Youtube and Vimeo, but worked elsewhere.

The solution for me was to go into qtcurve's settings, and put npviewer.bin in the application exceptions section for window and menu opacity. Doing that, I was able to keep my transparent menus, and also use flash everywhere.

You can find out what the application name is by launching your browser of choice in a terminal with qtcurve debug turned on, like so:

QTCURVE_DEBUG=1 firefox

If you watch through the lines that start with "QtCurve" you'll see "Application name". Look for the one that shows up when you try to load a video. In my case it was npviewer.bin. In yours, it might be nspluginviewer or something else. If you add an exception for that specific application, you'll fix your problem without having to compromise on your theme.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may exactly be the case.  Have to investigate further. 

Maybe I do have QTCurve on my machine.  The odd thing is, some pages play on Youtube, while others do not.  If the video is embedded on a site, it plays.  Directly on Youtube it doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, same thing here. Also, if you go to a user's channel the video will play there, even if it didn't on the main page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To be more specific, the method I used to solve it was to simply load one of QTCurve's default presets. This did away with the broken setting(s) which caused the problem. Then if one wants, the rest is to simply re-impement the changes one at a time until it breaks again, at which point you either (1) undo the change(s) or (2) add the program to an exception list (especially in the case of transparancy, which can be buggy on QTCurve 1.5.1)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines