Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Add Date/Time Stamp to Timecode Effect

Jul 22, 2010 11:21 AM

The Timecode effect of CS5 Premiere Pro is a very useful feature. However, it is missing a Date/Time Stamp. I would encourage everyone to submit a feature request for this. I have enclosed one I submitted. You can cut and paste it into the Feature Request Submission Form.

Feature Request Submission Form

Feature Request: Add Date / Time Stamp to Timecode Effect

The Timecode effect of CS5 Premiere Pro is a very useful feature. However, the Timecode effect is missing the ability to also display the Date/Time Stamp from Premiere captured video. This is a very important feature to include. Many videographers are archiving their miniDV tapes as AVI files since disk prices have become affordable. When I retrieve archived AVI files, I often need to look at the Date/Time Stamp, but unfortunately, Premiere does not offer that ability.

I would encourage you to add Date/Time Stamp capability to the Timecode effect so timecode, date, and time could be displayed all at once, or selectively picked via checkboxes.

Others in the Premiere forum have requested this capability.

Date / Time Stamp - Premiere CS4

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2564766

Hopefully, you could add this as an update to CS5. And hopefully, as soon as possible. Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 22, 2010 1:05 PM   in reply to Petrula

I personally would not use such an effect, especially if burned in.

DVMP is a stand alone application which can add such information to the file name, which I feel is the better archiving method.

Adobe engineers are better off spending there time elsewhere.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2010 7:37 PM   in reply to Petrula
    The Date/Time Stamp is an inherent part of the DV tape. Therefore, not having ready access to that information is unfortunate. Filenames are easily changed by mistake. Moreover, the time portion cannot be placed in the filename since it is continually changing. For scientific, documentary, and forensic work, this information is very useful. I do many documentaries and often need to refer back to when an interview occurred. I may not necessarily need to burn it into the final production.

Based on what you just said here, there is absolutely no need for what you're requesting. Premiere already has a pretty robust platform for viewing and editing automatically-generated and manually-entered metadata. You can set the Project panel or the Metadata panel to display fields like Date Created, Date Modified, and Shot Date. This screenshot shows shoot dates for a couple of clips from a miniDV tape and an MXF file:

date-created.png

I agree the information is useful, but requiring a plug-in or effect to access it would suck, especially since you can quickly filter in Premiere, or even Bridge with some formats, and find what you're looking for. You have ready access to the information (way faster than with an in-your-face effect that you later have to remove), and the data can't be changed (it's fixed to the file, unlike the filename).

If you need burn-in, that's a different story, but as has been suggested there are some third-party apps that will take care of this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2010 11:38 PM   in reply to Petrula
    For scientific, documentary, and forensic work, this information is very useful.

In which case you use a camera that burns it in for you, thus obviating the need for Adobe engineers to spend time on such a feature.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2010 2:42 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I personally would not use such an effect, especially if burned in.

Well...you don't have to if you don't want it

But it would be be useful for other people. Sometimes you want a filename or other metadata displayed on screen, so you can give a copy to a non-technical person. I have had directors that hate computers, they want to watch raw footage at home on a DVD. So the properties for the Timecode plugin can be adjusted easily; an optional extra line of label text, and escape codes or a picker for metadata fields.

Actually, After Effects allows this kind of thing already for anyone who really needs this, or one could use the AE SDK to code up a custom Premiere plugin. I seem to remember a previous version let you choose the font, color etc. for TC, which I sort of miss...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 10:20 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

In which case you use a camera that burns it in for you, thus obviating the need for Adobe engineers to spend time on such a feature.

Adobe engineers are better off spending there time elsewhere.

Seriously? You make it seem like Adobe engineers are inept or something.  Would this be hard and extremely time consuming for them to translate metadata to text? So much so that it would keep them from the next great feature in AE that scans all effects and turnes "suck" into "epic?"

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)