Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Eyedropper: not working as it should

Jul 28, 2010 2:06 AM

The Eyedropper tool in Illustrator CS5 doesn't work as it should.

It doesn't pick up the correct color from placed images or even PDFs.

I have tested this with the Color Settings set to North America Web/Internet across the whole suite (PS, IL, ID).

I tested it using RGB images.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Set the color settings in PhotoShop (PS) and Illustrator (IL) to "North America Web/Internet".

2) Create a new document in PS. Example: 100x100 pixels, fill it with 255,0,255 (RBG magenta). Save the document as PSD.

3) Create an new IL document. Adjust the color settings to the same settings as in step 1.

4) Draw a square. Fill it with 255,0,255 (magenta).

5) Place the psd file you created in step 1 and 2.

6) Select the eyedropper tool and sample color from the placed image and the square drawn in Illustrator.

Result:

The sample from the psd yields this color: 215, 71, 250

The square in Illustrator yields this color: 255, 0, 255

Funny: If you rasterize the image (using Object > Rasterize...), sampling from the rasterized image will yield the proper numbers.

Please try to reproduce this problem.

It could be that I'm wrong.

If I'm not wrong I'll submit a bug report.

Cheers,

Phil

ps. Wouldn't it be swell, if the color picker in IL would work the same way as PS's? In PS you can pick colors from the document from the color picker. Oh, right, it's a suite...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 28, 2010 4:50 AM   in reply to cmyck

What was the document color space of the original document? Was it RGB?

I just did the same thing you said you did and I get a nd I get this.

Screen shot 2010-07-28 at 7.49.06 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2010 4:55 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Also did this with another color and get the correct color.

Screen shot 2010-07-28 at 7.52.43 AM.png

I would say you started out with a CMYK document which converted to RGB when you exported to Photoshop or you opened the New Document as a cmyk document.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2010 6:04 AM   in reply to cmyck

Yes, CS 5!

I would say something is afoul on your system, would you not say so as well?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2010 2:00 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

The color picker will work as expected with embedded pixel images.

You can't expect the color picker to work the same as in Photoshop when the image is just linked.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2010 1:15 AM   in reply to cmyck

I followed the exact steps mentioned by you with Illustrator CS5 & Photoshop CS5. The Eyedropper picks the same colors for both objects (one created in Illustrator, other place-linked/embedded from Photoshop).

Can't say why you are seeing the difference.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2011 1:20 PM   in reply to cmyck

I'm using, CS3 and I'm having the same problem, it's not working for me, but it use to work, I'm thinking, I must of changed a setting or something and didn't know it, like pressing the CAP Lock and no longer having the arrow. Anyways, I read this posting and it wasn't helpful at all, so I looked esle where, I still haven't fix the auto setting but, I found out if I just Hold down the Shift key while using the Eyedropper it will sample color from any image placed or open in Illustractor.

So there you go. Hope this helps someone that needs it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2011 1:44 PM   in reply to misshelena

misshelena wrote:

I'm using, CS3 and I'm having the same problem, it's not working for me, but it use to work, I'm thinking, I must of changed a setting or something and didn't know it, like pressing the CAP Lock and no longer having the arrow. Anyways, I read this posting and it wasn't helpful at all, so I looked esle where, I still haven't fix the auto setting but, I found out if I just Hold down the Shift key while using the Eyedropper it will sample color from any image placed or open in Illustractor.

So there you go. Hope this helps someone that needs it.

Because it is a different issue then the one expressed by the OP you simply weren't using the the eyedropper properly and here the user was having diffculty

obtaining consistent color readings.

Different issue would you not say? In case stated by the OP it is possible that the color settings in Photoshop were different than the color settings in AI for instance it could very well be that in Photoshop it was set to RGBs and in Illustrator to Adobe RGB 1998 then by linking the image the conversion is carried out to the best i can be by Illustrator since there are two rendering intents it would not be expected to obtain the same reading.

You on the other hand were simply not getting a reading because you did not hold down the shift key.

The reason this thread was not useful is that it was not addressing your issue and was not expected to be useful from the get go.

However if you did a better search you might have…and I write might have…fund other threads that do address the issue you write abut it has been covered many times in the past.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2013 8:06 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

On a slightly different line; I am new to Illustrator and shocked by the eyedropper's incompitence. I pick for my fill color and it instantly knocks my stroke out to transparent!! Is there a reason for this or is the most basic function on any graphics system on it's back?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2013 8:39 AM   in reply to DelBoy78

DelBoy,

The eyedropper is picking everything it is set to pick. If you double click on the eyedropper tool it will bring up a dialogue that displays everything the eyedropper will effect.

Screen shot 2013-10-11 at 10.37.43 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2013 8:57 AM   in reply to elDudereno

Thanks, I'll give that a go tommorrow as I've just packed up for the day (UK Time). So with all those options there I can actually select a fill without losing my stroke color in the process... fingers crossed.

P.S. I moaned in a new post about picking colors whilst in the live bucket tool. Feel free 8o)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2014 4:50 PM   in reply to cmyck

I had the same issue, was unable to pick any color from images placed in the illustrator. But once you embedded the image, just hold down the Shift Key while using the Eyedropper tool and you would be able to pick colors from an image. Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points