Skip navigation
austinwalker
Currently Being Moderated

CS5 Premiere project size grows exponentially, crashes

Aug 3, 2010 10:44 AM

Working with a high-end Dell, 3 years old with 4 gigs of memory. Installed Windows 7 and CS5 Master Collection a few weeks ago. Now I'm having numerous crashes in Premiere. My project is a one-hour documentary, admittedly with lots of footage. However the size of the project file has grown exponentially. Yester day afternoon it was 275 megs, last night it was 330 megs and today by noon it was over a GIG! This last happened after I went to a version in the auto-save vault.

The only forum answer that made any sense at all said that I should delete all the preview (render) files. I have deleted them before, but I haven't done THAT much rendering since yesterday. Why should the project file grow so huge that my system can't even open it? Now I'm wishing I had bought a Mac with Avid or FCP, but this project is my livlihood and I have to finish it. HELP!!!

Thanks in advance.

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2010 11:01 AM   in reply to austinwalker

There is a known Bug in CS5, that causes Project File "bloating." Adobe is working on a fix to be released.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - This THREAD will give you some background.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added link

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2010 11:22 AM   in reply to austinwalker

When you Import your Project (PRPROJ file), you will get the full structure of your original Project. Now, you will most likely have to navigate to your Timeline, and Dbl-click on it to open it for working. Do not be alarmed, if you do not see your Timeline at first.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2010 8:45 AM   in reply to austinwalker

I want to thank everyone in this forum.  You were a lifesaver in solving this problem.  We have four Sony  NXCAM's producing lots of AVCHD.  We have three hot computers running CS5.  We were proud of the new acquisitions right up to the day the first computer went to its knees. 

I am ashamed to say we panicked thinking maybe we chose the wrong horse. (Camera, format, computer, software?  Maybe all.)

We are back to at least working and relieved it looks like adobe will create a happy ending for all.

Thanks again.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2010 8:48 AM   in reply to bad Timing

Since Bill mentioned that Adobe is already working on a fix you don't need to report this (but may if you want) but for the future, you report bugs or ask for new features at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2010 11:21 PM   in reply to John T Smith

The  Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update fixes the issue with project files growing ("bloating") and causing problems with loading and working with the project.

When you have updated Premiere Pro CS5, let us know whether your problem is fixed.

See this page for details about the Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update:

http://bit.ly/djiyh4

Please report bugs that persist after the update here:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers