Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 & Office 2010

Aug 4, 2010 3:40 AM

Hi, I recently installed Microsoft Office 2010 & Acrobat Pro 9. I have noticed that in word and excel the add-in tab is missing and not showing at all?,can anybody tell me if it is compatable with office 2010?, the add-in is missing?Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 4, 2010 4:54 AM   in reply to Phillip-Gordon

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2010 2:27 AM   in reply to Phillip-Gordon

I am sick and tired of all the Adobe apologists.  Office 2010 has been in Beta for a year now and Adobe's programmers could not create a Acrobat 9 compatiblity fix? Give me a break!

I spent a fortune on Acrobat Pro Extended only to find out that it has limited compatibility with Office 10 and the bundled Presenter has none.

What is wrong with Adobe??

Content edited because it was not consistent with the requirements of the Adobe Community Guidelines. For more information, please see our Adobe Community Guidelines and adobe.com Terms of Use.

Message was edited by Jochem van Dieten

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2010 9:45 PM   in reply to PsycoRant

Could Adobe support the new version, but why should they when they can charge for it. They are in the business of making money.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2010 8:33 AM   in reply to PsycoRant

And as I believe I heard, Acrobat worked with the beta. It was the final release where it quit working. Might this be deliberate on the part of MS? In any case, you can still print to the Adobe PDF printer with OFFICE 2010. That is what other packages, that folks use as examples, also do. The problem is with PDF Maker. PDF Maker is a plugin for OFFICE and has to deal with a lot of extra low-level stuff. That is not to say that Adobe should not pursue the fix, but rather to say that it is not necessarily as simply as a lot of the posts imply. Programming things to fit into another package can be very challenging, particularly if the information provided for the other package is poor or in error (a common occurance with MS - error or purpose, only they know). The users here can not solve the problem. I would agree that a fix for AA9 would seem appropriate and may eventually come. Right now they are apparently concentrating on AA10. Is that a good business model, I don't know? The model that MS has stinks too, so what is new. MS is doing more work on introducing products that are not backward compatible and everyone is expected to update to MS -- I think this is an aspect of MS that stinks, but I don't hear all of you complaining about that. Both are guilty, not just Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2010 12:43 PM   in reply to Bill@VT

I agree with those who find Microsoft's upgrade arrogance frustrating.  I was working quite happily with Office 2003 and Acrobat 9 pro.  I reluctantly upgraded to Office 2010 and learned that the two programs do not work together.  I was saving all my Outlook e-mail as Acrobat portfolios and could open attachments within the pdf document etc.  I need to be able to do that again.  I have been around and around with Microsoft and they can't help me.  Does anyone know if Outlook 2007 still works with Acrobat 9 pro in the old way?  If so, I may try to downgrade to that version.  (Microsoft won't sell me a version of Office 2003).  I would welcome any thoughts about this.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2010 12:53 PM   in reply to SallyGL

To bad you don't have the original OFFICE 2003 disk, or you could just reinstall. OFFICE 2007 works with PDF Maker, but I have not been all that pleased with it. Do realize that I am not a big user of OFFICE since I use a different technical word processor for most of my needs and have had issues with OFFICE 2007. I also had some issues with creating PDFs (almost looked like MS hooks to mess up Adobe created PDFs, but not something someone could prove) where graphics would be split into graphics pasted together. There really did not look bad unless you noted little gaps or places where the parts did not seam together well. It may have been resolved. When I was doing that testing, I was using OFFICE 2007 on VISTA with AA8. In OFFICE 2007, both print to the Adobe PDF and PDF Maker work, but as I mentioned there may be some quality issues at times. There is always the compromise solution to use the MS built in converting process (may have to download it from MS) with its related problems -- probably MS trying to redefine the meaning of PDF like they tried to do with HTML.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2010 5:11 AM   in reply to Bill@VT

Thanks Bill.  It was nice of you to reply.  The one thing I really need

to be able to do is save my outlook e-mail as pdf's with live links to

attachments etc.  I probably have the old word 2003 disk somewhere

although it came pre-installed on at least one computer. Can't remember

if that computer (Dell) came with a backup installation disk or not. 

Such a hassle.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2010 8:56 AM   in reply to Bill@VT

>almost looked like MS hooks to mess up Adobe created PDFs

I don't know about Office 2010, but I do know that Microsoft has their own PDF creation add-in for Office 2007

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4D951911-3E7E -4AE6-B059-A2E79ED87041&displaylang=en

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2011 3:10 AM   in reply to SallyGL

Outlook 2007 works fine

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2011 4:44 AM   in reply to Phillip-Gordon

Adobe Acrobat 9 and X both pro and standard, are not compatible with office 2010 & 11, 64 bit, else they work fine with 32 bit office, still waiting for an update patch for acrobat X, may that solves this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2011 7:42 AM   in reply to Phillip-Gordon

For those of you having trouble creating a document in Acrobat 9 from Office Word 10 try saving the document as a .doc file not the .docx. Once you do that, print the .doc to PDF. That seems to work.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points