Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Simulate pressure in Illustrator

Aug 5, 2010 9:55 AM

Hi,

I LOVE the fact that in Photoshop I can right click a path and stroke it with a brush, I check "Simulate pressure" and I get a nice even stroke from thin to wide back to thin.

I can't seem to reproduce this in illustrator. Should be easy, but why can't I get it to look just as smooth. I've tried the calligraphic brushes, they don't do it. I've tried art brushes, still not happy. Any suggestions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 5, 2010 10:21 AM   in reply to garek007

In your strokes pallet Show Options, at the bottom you can change the stroke Profile. Just using a path with No brush effect and a Profile you can get a very nice thick then pressure look.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2010 10:27 AM   in reply to garek007

You can do it two ways and you might like the control you have in AI better there is the width tool in the tool bar which will allow you to change the width of a stroke at any point on the stroke and if you want to do use it to get a similar result as you get in PS just use the width tool to decrease the width f the stroke at both ends.

Or you can use or create a profile that you can apply from the stroke panel.

This is done witht he width tool

Screen shot 2010-08-05 at 1.10.32 PM.png

This is with a profile applied.

Screen shot 2010-08-05 at 1.20.29 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2010 11:27 AM   in reply to garek007

I have CS5....not sure about CS4

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2010 11:39 AM   in reply to garek007

It's a CS5 feature only.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2010 11:59 AM   in reply to Michael Riordan

In CS 4 you create your profile and then make it an art brush and apply it that way.

Screen shot 2010-08-05 at 2.55.09 PM.png

Screen shot 2010-08-05 at 2.55.29 PM.png

You vary the curvature of the shape you make as the profile to control the tapering behavior.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2010 12:37 PM   in reply to garek007

Those 5 minutes are well invested time. You just have to do it once and can use them over and over.

Besides there are lots of free brushes available. Just give www.bittbox.com a try

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 10:23 AM   in reply to Rick@RedNovaLabs

ok so i had illustrator cs4 and this is what i did to get the same effect as 'profile'... select the thick simple brush with pointed edges and select 'stroke options' and change the width of the stroke.

demo.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points