Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Collapsing two layer project to one video layer?

Aug 5, 2010 8:01 PM

Is there an easy way to collapse a two video track project into a final, one layer edit?  I want to keep all my cuts, dissolves 'n stuff.

(I want to keep my cuts live, so I don't want to nest a sequence.)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 5, 2010 8:04 PM   in reply to Navarro Parker

Nesting is what you are looking for.

An alternative would be to Export, and then Import the resultant file to a new Sequence.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2010 9:19 PM   in reply to Navarro Parker

You need to explain a bit more about what you are trying to do?

Post a screen shot of the project sequence maybe.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2010 1:26 AM   in reply to Navarro Parker

I dont see why you would need to do this but...

In the example (screen grab) it would not be possible because your Vid 2 Clips overlap Vid 1 clips.

Do you have a reason (need) to do this that you can share with us?

Obviously its really easy if you actually edited it in one vid track. ie - there is no automatic way to reduce what you have to what you want. You can achieve it manually.

What are the key frames?  (Opacity?)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2010 5:10 AM   in reply to Navarro Parker

(I want to keep my cuts live, so I don't want to nest a sequence.)

Well, you do realize that when you nest, your edits don't disappear, right? All of the clip references, edits, effects, keyframes and so on are simply moved into a new sequence, and a reference to it takes the place of the selected clips in the original sequence. If you double click the nested sequence, it opens up in a new tab with all of the clips and edits intact. You can fairly quickly toggle back and forth between them; any changes you make in the nested sequence appear in the original sequence. You can also drag the tab containing the nested sequence into a new Timeline panel so that you can view both sequences simultaneously--of course, only the active one will be visible in the Program Monitor, but making the other panel active will send it to the preview output. Like this:

sequences.PNG

Bottom line is that there is no automatic way to "collapse" a number of tracks into one as you've pictured, beyond the way that you did it (i.e. select all clips on the second track and drag down). Your keyframes, presuming they are opacity keyframes as Craig has questioned, will have to be removed; that's not too difficult if you select all of your clips and go to Clip > Remove Effects. Deselect all options except opacity and hit OK; this will remove all keyframes and set the opacity back to detent. You can then add dissolves to all clips by selecting them all and go to Sequence > Apply Default Transitions to Selection. Of course, if you have custom durations and positions for each dissolve, you'll have to go back and tweak these, but that will get you going.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2010 10:28 AM   in reply to Navarro Parker

Please see Colin's discussion on Nesting. He said it better, than I ever could. Everything is preserved.

I still maintain that Nesting is what you want, unless I am missing something really big here.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 3:05 PM   in reply to shooternz

I do have one, albeit minor, reason for wanting to collapse tracks... you can't do a Ripple Delete from 2 different tracks, so I am always having to zoom out and select clips using the selection tool, then manually move clips over... and using Shift + the Track Select tool doesn't work if you have a long music clip underneath all your tracks (because it selects it as well if it's length is past the pont you use the Track Select Tool...

Maybe there's another trick to do this I am unaware of...

Thanks...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 5:48 PM   in reply to RuesterProd

If you have multiple Video Tracks, and wish to then work with a Sequence, that has combined the overlays, just Export the initial Sequence to an appropriate AV file, such as Lagarith Lossless. Then, Import THAT file into a new Sequences, and you can Ripple Edit, all that you wish. That will affect what was once material on several Video Tracks, but is now included on one.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 9:56 PM   in reply to RuesterProd

you can't do a Ripple Delete from 2 different tracks

Sure you can.  Ripple affects all tracks.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 10:36 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

Sure you can.  Ripple affects all tracks.

Not if the clip you want to ripple delete the space from is on a different track than the one  just in front/behind it

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 10:38 PM   in reply to RuesterProd

Target all  the tracks and see if that works

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2012 2:05 PM   in reply to shooternz

Ripple Delete affects all tracks, targeted or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 10:33 PM   in reply to Navarro Parker

Select all clips on the top track and drag them straight down onto the next track.

Then select all the clips on that rack and drage them straight down.

Repeat until you reach the bottom video track (video track 1).

This is a good method once you have picture lock and want to color correct.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points