Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

scanintf.dll is missing

Aug 7, 2010 3:27 AM

can't use twain for Canon MP600 in Acrobat 9. Scanner does work. have even tried twain org twacker to test it.

have latest driver and MP Navigator from Canon

running Win7 64bit

ideas?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 7, 2010 7:49 AM   in reply to Erol

You do not mention the version of AA9. It is currently at AA9.3.3. If you are not updated, try to update AA and try again. Also, have you tried the scan from other software, such as a graphics package?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2010 12:41 PM   in reply to Erol

You may have a functioning twain driver, but is it 64-bit native???

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2010 5:33 AM   in reply to Erol

I'm experiencing the exact same problem with brand new Adobe Acrobat X. I'm using a Canon Lide 600F, running on Windows 7 64-bit.

Did you resolve this problem in Acrobat 9?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2010 4:20 AM   in reply to Erol

I just tried with Canon PIXMA MP780 with 64 Bit Win 7 and it worked with Acrobat X. Are you able to scan with other applications, like MSPAINT, TWACKER that use TWAIN driver?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2010 4:24 AM   in reply to Fiske12

Can you please check if you have latest 64 Bit driver? You may want to download one from http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010401.asp

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2010 3:43 PM   in reply to Erol

Yes, I'm able to scan with other programs. I'm also able to scan with Acrobat X, but only using Custom Scan. All the presets are greyed out, and when I select Configure Presets, and select the twain driver I get the error about the missing SCANINTF.dll. When selecting the WIA driver I get this error:"This scanner does not support presets".

What is strange is that I have used this scanner with Acrobat 9 and Windows 7 64-bit before, and everything worked just great. Seems to me this is a problem with Acrobat X, not the scanner driver..

I'm using the latest Canon driver (12.12).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2010 5:06 PM   in reply to Fiske12

OK, add me to the list. I was able to use my Canon CanoScan 8600F up until the last Adobe Std. update. Then I get the missing scanintf.dll error.  Any help from the frontlines would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I tried downloading the lastest x64 Canon driver (I'm on Win7x64) with no joy. I'm up to date on Adobe Std.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2010 5:20 AM   in reply to Erol

Just to let you know: I was able to get scanning using profiles working again by downgrading to Acrobat 9 Pro. Thanks for your input.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2011 3:03 PM   in reply to Erol

Re: Windows 7 (64-Bit) with a CanonScan 8600F Scanner

Previously I had the "scaninitf.dll is missing" error, but now after trying to re-point Adobe 9 Std to the scanner, I'm also getting "Error while interacting with the scanner: the selected scanner was not found."

Now here's the interesting part: If I create a PDF using the CanoScan Toolbox (it is pointed to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe"), and create a PDF all works fine. If I leave Adobe open to this created document, and try a 'Create PDF from Scanner' operation from within Adobe directly to create a new scanned PDF, Adobe works as it used to before this most recent Adobe update. That is, it finds and scans a new PDF just fine!

For now, I'm using the CanoScan toolbox to fire up Adobe 9.0 for creating PDF's from the scanner...and patiently waiting for an update to be pushed down from Adobe Galactic.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2011 6:42 AM   in reply to Erol

Erol, thanks for your post.

We must have slightly different issues. I don't have a ScanGear app on my install (just a readme and uninstall icon in the folder where it should be). This was from a fresh install from the CanonUSA site for the 8600 Win7x64 driver, Adobe RGB, and CanoScan Toolbox 5.0.

My toolbox runs just fine and in all functions. The Windows Devices and Printers Scanner icon operates just fine with no problems. All other scanner-related apps on my machine operate properly with the scanner. It is only Adobe Acrobat Std. 9.4.0.195 (core version 9.4.1) that is not operating properly. Prior versions of Adobe 9.0 used to work properly on my machine but now don't since the latest update.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2011 7:28 PM   in reply to Erol

Capture.PNG

I even went so far as to copy the twain drivers to the Acrobat Directory, and create an environment variable and now I get the image above:

Windows 7x64 Canon Lide600F with 12.12 drivers and CanoScan Tool Box 5.

If I try to use a Custom Scan I get this image:

Any thoughts? NE1?Capture2.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2011 8:54 PM   in reply to abustraan

I have a solution! I killed my ability to twain scan at all in

photoshop just a little while ago while checking 64-bit Photoshop for twain on another thread.

My earlier post stated I tried an environment variable and copying the twain files to the Acrobat directory. I have since removed them and the environment variable and added this path to my Path Statement in my System Variables: C:\windows\twain_32\CNQ4802.

I would check the twain path per the directory that your driver(s) create.

I can now scan in any mode from Acrobat X.

Capture3.PNG
    Hope this helps

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2011 3:33 PM   in reply to abustraan

Abustraan - you did it! Thank you. I added my twain driver path to the system environment path, re-booted, and all is well.

For Adobe staff - in case they ever read this thread, here are the two places this twain driver file is referenced in my registry:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\PnpLockdownFiles

and

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\PnpLo ckdownFiles

Mine was a Win7x64 OS.

Thank you again Abustraan for getting my Adobe back up and working again with my Canon scanner! Good Job!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2011 6:32 PM   in reply to abustraan

May I know the scanner make and model you are having? Is that from  Canon or from any other manufacturer?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2011 9:49 PM   in reply to Bobby_Johnson_

Canon 8600F

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2011 10:42 PM   in reply to LarryJones22

Thank you Larry. Glad it worked for you.

Some days I get lucky, some days I make money...lol

As for the 8600F problem.

Trying to determine if the scanner supported Twain functionality previously, I can only assume that it's still there and just have to figure out how to "Path" it.

I noticed that Canon does have Windows 7 x64 bit drivers and an Updated Tool Box: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/scanners/canoscan_serie s/canoscan_8600f#DriversAndSoftware

If you've already installed the drivers, I'd check the Windows\Twain_32 folder for any subdirectories and add "C:\Windows\Twain_32\<Subdirectory>" to the environment variable "Path =".

Hope it helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2011 9:31 PM   in reply to Erol

I just re-installed the ScanGear 12.12 64-bit software from the Canon Website and here is what the readme says:

Copyright CANON INC. 1998-2007. All Rights Reserved.

Canon ScanGear Version 12.1.2 64-bit Edition
    for Microsoft Windows
    Instructions

"Windows" is a trademark of Microsoft Corporation, registered in the
    United States and other countries.
    All other names and brands mentioned here may be trademarks or
    registered trademarks of their respective owners.

< Contents >

Introduction
    Foreword
    Installation Components
    Deleting ScanGear

====================================================================
    Introduction
    ====================================================================

< Foreword >

This product is a 64-bit TWAIN-compliant scanner driver for CanoScan
    LiDE 600F scanner.
    When this driver is selected from within a TWAIN-compliant
    application program, this scanner can be used to scan image data.

< Installation Components >

The following components make up the installation package:

- Installer (Setup.exe)
        Installs the TWAIN-compliant scanner driver for CanoScan
        LiDE 600F scanner on your computer.

- ScanGear 12.1.2 for CanoScan LiDE 600F (hereafter referred to as
        "ScanGear")
        The software allows you to scan image data.

- Uninstaller
        Lets you remove the ScanGear from your computer.

- Readme (readme_english.txt)
        This document. It contains important information about the
        ScanGear. To view it after installation, select [Start]-
        [(All) Programs]-[CanoScan LiDE 600F]-[Readme].

< Deleting ScanGear >

Delete unnecessary ScanGear according to the following
    procedure:

1.  From the [Start] menu, select [(All) Programs], and then
          select [CanoScan LiDE 600F].

2.  Click [Uninstall].

3.  If the [Scanner Driver Uninstaller] dialog box appears,
          click the [Execute] button.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2012 6:27 AM   in reply to abustraan

Thanks, you did it for me as well (Canoscan 4400F, Windows 7 x64, Canon 12.13 x64 drivers).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2012 7:26 AM   in reply to Erol

I'm having kind of the same problem.

My Brother MFC-9840CDW used to work perfect on Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.5.0

Suddenly, a few days ago it stopped working. In fact, it looks like all my Twain-driven applications has stopped working, but only my WIA works (example: Photoshop).

I have tried removing and re-installing the complete software package from Brother as well as ensured that it was the correct entries in the Registration Database.

Nothing seems to help though...

Any idea on how to manually install the Twain drivers or any other solutions?

When opening Acrobat and selecting Create PDF - from scanner - I select the Custom Scan. In the pop-up there is no scanner to be selected. It's driving me nuts!

I'm running Win 7 64-bit

Rgds

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2012 5:03 AM   in reply to Erol

Tried that – No success.

Even tried installing the USB version of the driver – didn’t help either.

Any other ideas?

Venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Lars Møller

http://tollers-delight.dk

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2012 5:28 AM   in reply to tollersdelight

tollersdelight -

Are you receiving the same scanintf.dll error when you try to scan?

You mentioned Photoshop in your inital post. Please ensure that you are running the 32-Bit Version of Photoshop, and if using CS5 or 5.5, you'll need to install the optional plugins found here: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4688

I am only familiar with Canon Scanners (specifically the Lide600), but I have found that the scanner software/drivers don't include a an entry for the scanner drivers in the path statement.

You can either open a command window and type 'path' and enter to list the directories included in the path or you can right-click 'my computer' choose properties, then 'Advanced System Settings', then the 'Advanced Tab', then click the 'Environmental Variables' button. Scroll to the 'Path' entry inthe System Variable list' and click edit. Copy that whole entry and paste it into notepad. Review the contents, add the path to the folder created by the twain drivers for your scanner in my case it's "C:\Windows\twain_32\CNQ4802". When adding paths to the paths statement seaparate them with a ";" (semicolon).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2012 5:41 AM   in reply to Erol

Erol,

I have done more checking into Twain functionality for 64-Bit and there aren't any true 64-Bit twain drivers for Canon Scanners.

Even though the driver that I have downloaded says in the readme file that it is 64-Bit Twain compliant, it only works with 32-bit apps.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2012 8:11 AM   in reply to abustraan

Hi,

I think I found the problem. Brother scans to TWAIN by use of PaperPort.

That software has disappeared from my PC (don’t know how).

I’ll look for the original discs and try to install it again.

I’ll let you know the outcome

Venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Lars Møller

http://tollers-delight.dk

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 9:51 PM   in reply to Erol

Here's another case of the same thing.  Adobe Acrobat X, gets the scanintf.dll missing with my Canon LiDE 70.  That scanner works perfectly with Acrobat 9.  I'm really getting burned out on this thing.  I NEED to scan in documents to get my home and car insurance set up, and I can't DO it with this POS!!!  Does anyone from Adobe ever read these forums?  Or are we just spinning wheels?  I paid a lot of money to Adobe for all the various stages of the CS3, CS4, CS5, CS5.5, and soon the CS6 web premium suites.  I DON'T seem to be able to get support, though!

E. Humbert

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 2:55 AM   in reply to GeneHumbert

You'll want to:Go to C:\Windows\Twain_32

Make a note of any subdirectories under this folder. For the Lide 600F my subdirectory is 'CNQ4802'

Right-Click Computer

Select Properties

Select Advanced tab

Click the Environment Variables tab

Scroll to the 'Path' statement in the System Variables section

Edit the 'Path' entry

Add: "; C:\Windows\twain_32\<noted subdirectory> (use a ';' semicolon) to separate multiple entries, and exclude the quotes

If you have multiple subdirectories under the twain_32 folder they will need to be added individually.

As of right now there's no 64-Bit Twain drivers. Only WIA drivers.

But I've been able to successfully use this with Acrobat X and Photoshop Rrequires the Optional Photoshop Plug-in for Photoshop C5, 5.5 and CS6 (using version CS5) Download from Adobe to enable the twain functionality.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4688

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 8:24 PM   in reply to abustraan

I have

canoscan lide 600F

windows 7 x64 ultimate

adobe acrobat 10

all programs in my computer recognize the WIA side of this scanner but not the TWAIN

I did follow the instructions above for variable

I have the following folder C:\windows\twain_32\CNQ4802  which I have added to the variable enviroment Path

reboot couple of time

installed the newest drivers which are not new at all 2007-2009 date

upgraded acrobat from 10 to 10.1.3

nothing helps...

is there anything I am missing

p.s. I have an HP Envy 17 3200 with ivy bridge and  all the ports are USB 3 with newest updates from microsoft , intel and HP

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 8:39 PM   in reply to doctor-man

Sorry you're having problems with your new awesome sounding computer.

At a command prompt: Type path and "enter" and make sure the entry "C:\Windows\twain_32\CNQ4802" does exist. If there are other entries in the path statement make sure the entry is preceded by a ";" and followed by a ";". I am using Windows 7 Pro x64 with Adobe Acrobat X Pro 10.1.3 and CS5.5 and tried CS6 Trial and it worked with them as a Twain Scanner.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 8:46 PM   in reply to abustraan

oh when I type path in a CMD.exe

I get bunch of paths but non of them is the one I entered ..

how can I force the path in there?

detailed response on the steps on that

again in windows 7 x64

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 8:59 PM   in reply to abustraan

okay I forced the    C:\Windows\twain_32\CNQ4802   

in there and checked the cmd > path and I see it now but it made no difference 3 more restarts , uninstall , reinstall drivers and adobe...

I am out of ideas as to what to do...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 9:45 PM   in reply to doctor-man

Hummm. I just tried a couple of things

I set up a 2nd computer that has Win 7 Ult x64 and Installed Acrobat X 10.1.3 from scratch. Installed the same 12.1.2 that I had on my other computer and got the same error. Added the 'C:\Windows\twain_32\CNQ4802' to the path statement. Rebooted and It works just fine.

As a 2nd test, I removed the 'C:\Windows\twain_32\CNQ4802' from the path statement and rebooted and the error returned. I re-added it and rebooted and it scanned okay.

Is the file 'SCANINTF.DLL' in the folder 'C:\Windows\twain_32\CNQ4802'?

Also in case you don't have the 64-Bit version of the Canon 600F they can be found here.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/scanners/canoscan_serie s/canoscan_lide_600f#DriversAndSoftware

I can't think of anything else right-off hand. You can email me at abustraan @ h o t m a i l . c o m  minus the spaces if you'd like to do a webex.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 2:53 AM   in reply to abustraan

I think I figured it out

there should be no space after the semicolon   ;

and there should be a \ at the end of the path

like this

PATH                  another_link_here\;C:\Windows\twain_32\CNQ4802\

that fixed the twain drivers... now my options are grayed out in adobe but I think that should go away after couple restarts or a reinstall of adobe acrobat

THANK YOU GUYS...

PS> Canon is fast with email but they have no clue about this issue

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points