Skip navigation
katiegrnfld
Currently Being Moderated

Unable to open .pdf files directly from the internet

Aug 7, 2010 12:13 PM

Today when I was trying to open a .pdf - from within Firefox or Safari - I kept receiving the message: "The document “filename.pdf” could not be opened. Acrobat cannot open files in the “Adobe PDF document” format."  This is very frustrating, and I have been through the preferences for Acrobat Pro as well as Firefox.  Please help!!

Katie

Mac OS

Snow Leopard 10.6.4

Acrobat Pro 9.3.3

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 7, 2010 12:49 PM   in reply to katiegrnfld

You need to use Safari to read pdf files directly from your browser. Firefox is not supported. To get things working in Safari, try repairing the installation of Acrobat from the Help menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2010 12:50 PM   in reply to katiegrnfld

Adobe's PDF Viewer Plugin, only works with Safari and other web browsers using Webit. They have decided for what ever reason not to support any browsers that use the Gecko Rendering engine. FireFox, SeaMonkey, Camino and either Opera or OmniWeb.

Go to google and look up the PDF Browser Plugin, by Schubert from Germany. It works with Anything other than IE.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2010 5:41 PM   in reply to katiegrnfld

Go to FireFox's Preferences > Browser > Helper applications

look for pdf. click on it and the click on button to right and choose either Reader, Acrobat, or anything that will open PDFs If you have PDFPen You can even use that.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2010 4:11 PM   in reply to katiegrnfld

I have a very similar issue only it happens to me after I have created a

pdf file from my scanner and then try to open it.  The dialog is the exact same. "The document “Conf Room.pdf” could not be opened. Acrobat cannot open files in the “Adobe PDF document” format".   The file at this point is in my hard drive and not on an email or internet web page.

What I can do is open Adobe Acrobat (9.3.3) find the file then choose it.  Then it will open.

This problem just happened when I switched scanners and got HP driver software made for OSX 10.6.  This has affected my ability to open all pdf files by double clicking them.  I wonder what settings changed in Acrobat??

Jay

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2010 4:19 PM   in reply to jayKapp

Duh! I decided to quit and reopen Acrobat 9.3.3.  After that, everything worked again.

Jay

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points