Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Any way to edit actions in a text/script editor?

Aug 9, 2010 12:48 PM

I need to duplicate a very long action about 5 times and make file-name saving changes to each step, but going through the resaving process 75 times is a pain in the ***.  It's a simple action that shows, saves, and hides 75 different layers individually.  But the naming of these saved files will be different depeing on the photoshop file I'm using (about 5 different variances).  Batch Processing just takes too long to do what my action will do in 10 seconds, so it seems like I'm stuck with using actions.  My question is:

Is there a way to edit actions through a text/script editor vs using Photoshop?  I could copy/paste/replace text much quicker than going through the actual saving process 375 times.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 9, 2010 1:01 PM   in reply to bsnyder175

Ctrl + Alt (Cmd + Opt on Mac) while click on Save Actions from the Actions panel flyout will give you a txt file. The problem is that I do not know about a way to re-convert this into an atn.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2010 1:03 PM   in reply to bsnyder175

This will convert an action file to XML:

http://ps-scripts.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ps-scripts/xtools/apps/Ac tionFileToXML.jsx

You can edit this file with a normal text editor.

This will convert an XML file to an action file:

http://ps-scripts.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ps-scripts/xtools/apps/Ac tionFileFromXML.jsx

There are a few cases where this does not work. But they are not very common.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,986 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 10, 2010 6:14 AM   in reply to bsnyder175

bsnyder175 wrote:

Xbytor, I visited your 2 links, but don't understand how I implement my action file into that system.  Is it something I download?  When I visited the links, they were just browser pages filled with what looks like script.

Try a right click on the links to Xbytor and choose save link as and save his two scripts into your \Photoshop version\Presets\Scripts. The next time you start Photoshop you will have two nes scripts in meny File>Scripts... . You can edit a XML file with a text editor like wordpad.

Also the Action Palette is a full fledge Action editor.  It should be quite easy to edit you action highlight the sections you want to dupe five times and replicate that section five times then rerecord(edit) the duped "saved as" steps. You may want to look at my crafting action package.

http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/JJMacksCraftingActions.zip

Contains:

Action Actions Palette Tips.txt

Action Creation Guidelines.txt

Action Dealing with Image Size.txt

Action Enhanced via Scripted Photoshop Functions.txt

CraftedActions.atn Sample Action set includes an example Watermarking action

Sample Actions.txt Photoshop CraftedActions set saved as a text file. This file has some additional comments I inserted describing how the actions work.

12 Scripts for actions

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 12:03 PM   in reply to xbytor2

This was an incredibly helpful toolset- thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2013 8:42 AM   in reply to xbytor2

xbytor2 wrote:

This will convert an action file to XML:

http://ps-scripts.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ps-scripts/xtools/apps/Ac tionFileToXML.jsx

You can edit this file with a normal text editor.

This will convert an XML file to an action file:

http://ps-scripts.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ps-scripts/xtools/apps/Ac tionFileFromXML.jsx

There are a few cases where this does not work. But they are not very common.

This looks good but are these version sensitive? This post is about 3 years old and the current version is Photoshop CC.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2013 1:07 PM   in reply to monmart

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2013 2:33 PM   in reply to monmart

I was able to get this running on CS5 and CS5.5.  Give it a try the worst you can get is an error.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 7:41 AM   in reply to bsnyder175

i need to do the same thing!! did anyone figure out an easy way to do this?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 11:02 AM   in reply to monmart

Looks like my last post was eaten. The scripts should work from CS3 through CC.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 11:26 AM   in reply to xbytor2

i am using CC and the script From Action to XML works but when i run the Action From XML script i get the mac spinning wheel of death.

any help would be great!!

I tested it on a smaller Action and it works fine on CC.. Maybe my ActionScript is just too big or something.

It also has commands to save out differnet files as is goes through the action. Maybe thats it.

Would be really cool if this worked for me though.. save hours if not days in recording action scripts if i could just duplicate a set of commands and rename custom file names in the XML file..

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 5:17 PM   in reply to getdawson

Email the original xml and modified xml and I'll  see what I can figure out.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2014 4:21 PM   in reply to Domnita Petri

No, it doesn't work.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers