Skip navigation
Joshua Horn
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere CS4 Export Problems

Aug 10, 2010 12:03 PM

I have been having some problems with exporting a video with Premiere/Media Encoder CS4. Here is the file type - .mov SD widescreen and HV30 .m2t HD files. In a 720p sequence. The first problem was that it will not export any image file types. Next when I try to export certain file types it has issues - for quicktime and WMV I remember it would not work. The only one that would work was H.264 (I didn't try them all) Any ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 10, 2010 12:38 PM   in reply to Joshua Horn

Hi,

If you can put screenshots of what your file assets are ( the video files) here...using GSpot or MediaInfo...that would help people understand your problem ...

Offhand I would suggest you convert the HD to SD before importing to a 720p project...

Also, I'm wondering what the mov SD is  ( interleaved or progressive...the screenshots will show us...)

ps...as a general rule the projects you create for editing exactly match the video you wish to import....

However, there are times you want to manipulate ( motion / scale , position etc ) video files and could import a larger dimension (frame size)  video than the project frame dimensions...but everything else should match...fps, interleaved or progressive, the codec of import being the same too is helpful...

All this has an effect on your export ability..

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2010 12:42 PM   in reply to Joshua Horn

You might also have to be more specific on what you mean by,'....it has an issue.'

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2010 12:53 PM   in reply to Joshua Horn

cool ...try to upload screenshots of the video files from GSpot ( free program )...as it gives tons of info about the video and audio specs..

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2010 5:51 AM   in reply to Joshua Horn

Thanks ! That info ( screenshots ) is very helpful...

I think you will have this fixed soon...  one more question....where did you get this mov file from ( the file in the screenshots ) is it from the hv30 camera converted down to 720x480 ?  If it isnt hv30 conversion, what camera did you shoot it with ?

I can see from the screenshots that their are possible discrepancies between what your project settings are and the footage..and once that is fixed I think you'll be able to work with it ( edit, export ) with no problems.

So...what camera is this file from or explain how you got the footage please.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2010 8:21 AM   in reply to Joshua Horn

Hi,

-----------------

could it be that DV capture should not be set to HDV (I didn't capture  anything)

--------------------

no, that has nothing to do with stuff unless you want to capture...

I don't know how you got the mov file...from that camera...but anyway, start a new project with these settings and see how the video looks after you import it.. if it looks OK then do a test export to whatever you want and see how that goes..

Use custom desktop settings...NOT PRESETS ..( general / desktop I think in cs4 )

my-xl2-project-mov.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2010 11:03 AM   in reply to Joshua Horn

Hi,

Can you come to the forum rather than email...and check this out??  You put a file in GSpot....I put a recommendation for project settings for you to try THAT particular file...to import that one file...720x480...

Did you try that ? What happened ?  Did it import OK ?  Thanks !

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2010 11:31 AM   in reply to Joshua Horn
    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

jehorn wrote:

I have been having some problems with exporting a video with Premiere/Media Encoder CS4. Here is the file type - .mov SD widescreen and HV30 .m2t HD files. In a 720p sequence. The first problem was that it will not export any image file types. Next when I try to export certain file types it has issues - for quicktime and WMV I remember it would not work. The only one that would work was H.264 (I didn't try them all) Any ideas?

What is the final product going to be?

DVD, BD or ....

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2010 1:13 PM   in reply to Joshua Horn

if you are going to dvd have you tried exporting as mpeg 2 ? or to encore to burn a dvd ?

I'm now referring to the project settings I recommended and the specs of the file you showed...we have to narrow this down to one thing at a time...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2010 1:28 PM   in reply to Joshua Horn

As you are working with two different format i suggest a DV widescreen project.

Set default Scale to Framesize on in the Preferences.

Use Dynamic link for DVD, Its under File / Dynamic Link / Send to Encore.

Your file will be send to Encore, make a menu and burn. No worries about mpeg settings they are set to automatic.

For export to the web depends on your website. Which player are you going to use?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2010 1:26 PM   in reply to Joshua Horn

heh...dont worry about being confused about anything...its complicated stuff sometimes...this video editing and exporting to different delivery formats ...

I'm confused too a lot of times...thats why we help each other.

I would suggest sticking with one type of video file that you have ( your original posting ---"Here is the file type - .mov SD widescreen and HV30 .m2t HD files." )...and solve everything for one type ...and then move onto the next type of video file to solve those things.

It's kinda like thinking of it as a "workflow" where you start out with one thing, edit it, change it, and then "deliver it "....and you have to deal with one thing at a time to get it right....

There are so many "codecs" and options because this is a very fast evolution of media in general...so believe me when I say it's not unusual to be "confused" about stuff.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2010 1:49 PM   in reply to Joshua Horn

oh boy.. I hate to go this route..but since we seem to be stuck in this Quicktime land of lore...I would suggest you BUY Quicktime pro...it is about $40 US....and you can immediately use it ( download and use ) when you put your magic credit card info into the mix.

That might ( might ) fix your fixation on quicktime codec...worked for me with CS3...I have QT pro...not only that...but you can load stuff into QT pro and export or just SAVE stuff for the web and all sorts of stuff...  So my suggestion is " get out your wallet and get online and buy QT pro now ! "

Then try your export again...degrag your drive when you get a chance...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2010 1:57 PM   in reply to Joshua Horn

Use anything but Quicktime.

You also need to put your project and footage on another drive.

It now set to the C drive, this is not good editing practice.

Get yourself a internal second drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2010 1:58 PM   in reply to able123

There are three popular flavors of H.264, Apple's, Lead's and MainConcept's. Many users have had Export issues with Apple's version, and most have found that either Lead's, or MainConcept's works better for them.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - though QT Pro can be very useful (I recommend it for Apple file conversions), the full capabilities are already installed, and the Pro is just an unlock. I would consider updating QT Player first. What version does the OP have now?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2010 8:00 AM   in reply to Joshua Horn

having the latest version update to CS4 is always a good idea....the updates fix "problems".

I guess you should give us all the info you can about your computer at this point...something is definitely not right.

computer make , model

cpu type , speed, ram amount, graphics card, hard drive info ( including rpm, free space, total space, type of format ( ntfs ? )

There are threads here about how to report stuff about the computer system...

make sure you have the latest drivers for both your graphics and soundcards too and the latest directx version

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2010 8:56 PM   in reply to Joshua Horn

Hi,

The usb hard drive is probably too slow to edit with. Most people only use usb drives for storage.

I would suggest you make sure your project file isnt on that drive and would move your assets off that drive into your c drive if thats all you have. You could use and external firewire 800 drive, or esata would be even better. Maybe clear as much space as you can from your c drive and defragment it, make sure your pagefile is set to 1.5 times your memory and try it that way.  You really should have only program files on your c drive, projects files on a 2nd drive and assets on a 3rd drive...and drives should be only about 1/2 full...

There's threads here about how to set up your system for editing.. especially in the hardware forum.

I personally only have two internal drives with programs on c drive and projects and assets on 2nd drive.  The 2nd drive is 1Terabyte 7200rpm ( pagefile on 2nd drive also )...the drive is about 3 percent full....as I only have little SD projects on it now...and I dont even try to edit HD stuff...as my computer is not powerful enough.

using CS3...

I have an intel dual core 2.6 ghz, 4gig ram, windows xp, 2 hard drives sata, 7200rpm.  If I edit more than a couple minutes of HD with transitions my computer starts to slow up so much its retarded to even try to edit that....

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points