Skip navigation
tangogal
Currently Being Moderated

32 vs 64 bit mode

Aug 10, 2010 4:53 PM

I am a beginner in PhotoShop so please excuse my asking this dumb question. What are the advantages/disadvantages of running CS5 in 64 vs. 32 bit mode? I am aware that certain plug-ins won't work in 64-bit mode. Is 64 faster? Is it better to edit photos in 64 bit mode?

I'm also confused about whether to set Photoshop/Bridge to 8-bit or 16-bit. I'm told that you get very big files with 16 bit but that you can't use all your filters unless you convert to 8 bit.

Please keep your answers simple, if possible. I don't know a lot of techie stuff. I am just learning.

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 10, 2010 5:20 PM   in reply to tangogal

If you have 4 GB RAM or less there is no advantage to 64 bit. If you have more than 4 GB RAM 64-bit is able to address more RAM.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2010 12:16 AM   in reply to tangogal
    I'm also confused about whether to set Photoshop/Bridge to 8-bit or 16-bit. I'm told that you get very big files with 16 bit but that you can't use all your filters unless you convert to 8 bit.

True, but do you actually need those Filters?

Editing images in 16 bit has the advantage that more extreme edits will less obviously damage the image quality because more color-values are available.

Photoshop has to calculate the results of every Adjustment Layer and Layer Blend one at a time and the ones further up are then applied on the resulting underlying pixels’ values … this necessitates rounding to the available steps of which there are more in 16 bit, so the rounding-effect doesn’t accumulate as steeply.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2010 6:50 AM   in reply to tangogal

Anyone know when/of the 32 bit plug-ins that doesn't work when running Photoshop in 64 bit mode will be updated to work in 64 bit?

Plug-ins not supported by Photoshop CS5 on Mac OS, running in 64-bit mode:

• Lighting Effects
    • Extract (Use Refine Mask under the Selection menu)
    • Variations
    • Web Contact Sheet II (Web Photo Gallery)
    • TWAIN support works on some scanners
    • Video Preview
    • Send Video Preview to Device
    • Firewire
    • Firewire DLL
    • Legacy Droplets

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/836/cpsid_83656.html

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2010 5:58 PM   in reply to tangogal

Hi, there is still a problem with arguement.

My scanner and many photoshop filters (that I have paid a fortune for, and who advertise they are 64bit) dont show up when in 64 bit mode.

I live by my epson 10000XL scanner (over $6000 here in Australia) and my Epson 7880 (over $5,500 in Australia) and I have paid more for the filters and photoshop upgrades... why cant any one get things right..

this is starting to get me !@#$%^& off with claims and advertising that they are 64 bit and yet still wont work..... sorry for my rant, but these 'incompatibility' problems are getting worse as technology advances...)

I thing the Photoshop and filter cost would be worth it is they worked with CS5 (they all worked with CS4. even though it was not 64bit. It was faster than CS5 though. I am sorry I upgraded...)

why cant people get thinsg right.

Regards, Sandy

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2010 2:07 PM   in reply to Sandy Barrie

>  My scanner and many photoshop filters (that I have paid a fortune for, and who advertise they are 64bit) dont show up when in 64 bit mode.

Does your scanner driver have a 64 bit TWAIN driver?  Most of them don't.

TWAIN drivers run in the application space, so a 64 bit application will require a 64 bit TWAIN driver.

If you want to use older 32 bit TWAIN drivers, you'll need to launch Photoshop in 32 bit mode (same as with older plugins that are still 32 bit only).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2010 8:41 PM   in reply to Sandy Barrie

Sandy Barrie wrote:

…I am sorry I upgraded.…

You have 30 days to get your money back.  Contact Adobe customer service if within that time limit.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points