Skip navigation
nyumeddei
Currently Being Moderated

Best workflow working btw a Desktop and a Laptop

Aug 11, 2010 11:23 AM

At work i use a Mac Pro to edit, but sometimes i want to take the work home and edit on my laptop. I dont need to use an external drive because the footage is on both computers. Is there a proxy system like after effects in premiere that allows me to make smaller files to edit? Is there a way to make the scratch disk settings universal for all projects so that i do not have to set them each time?

thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 11, 2010 11:56 AM   in reply to nyumeddei

There is no proxy system, per se, in PrPro. You could ship the PRPROJ file back and forth, but you will want ALL of your Assets on the same drive letter, and in the exact same folder structure, or you will spend more time finding and re-linking, than with editing. I would definitely do Save_As_a_Copy, leaving your original PRPROJ files safely untouched. That "same drive letter and folder structure" is very important.

I use the external route, and have many of my Projects, plus their media, on FW-800 HDD's, Each is seen as the exact same drive letter (set in my OS) on my workstation and on my laptop, so that Z:\ is always Z:\, regardless of which machine it's plugged into.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2010 2:26 PM   in reply to nyumeddei

Yes it does, so long as all Assets are in the same folder. If one has an intricate folder structure, you must Find the first file in each folder, and then the rest will be re-linked.

In your stated case, you will be migrating the Project from machine to machine and you will need to do that re-linking each time that you migrate. If you are not adverse to that, each time, then there will be no problem. I prefer to set up the structure to be identical in all machines to save that re-linking.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 11:27 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hi!

One guy wrote this

I'm also looking for a good proxy workflow.    Native or not, I want to edit 5D2 footage in Multicam (4 cameras) and it's simply not keeping up in a fluid way.  It's *really* laggy.   So, I started looking at proxy workflows and .....

I have two folders, one called "Source Media" and the other called "Proxy Media".   What I was hoping to do was tell PP that all the footage was offline, then tell it to link the media to the proxy folder.   So, it asks me where the first file is located and it connects to the proxy media fine, but then it links all the remaining footage back to the source media folder instead of following the path I get it for the first file. 

For a few files I could do it all manually, but there are 715 files in this project....

The only way I've come up with so far is to take all the media offline, RENAME the folders so that the proxy becomes the Source Media folder then bring them all back online again.

Is there a better way of doing this?  Is there a way to have the offline media all connect to the proxy folder instead of going back to the source folder (without having to rename the folders!!!!!)?

I have the exactly same problem! I tried everything I could and there's no solution found. Why Premiere is SO STUPID??? How to link ALL files to their copies in OTHER FOLDER?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 4:37 PM   in reply to Anri Orlow

Would be nice to have a smarter solution...

but as Premiere Projects are pure XML you can use a texteditor to "search & replace" a given local path with the proxy one...

Make a macro of it and it will work by pressing one button...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points