Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Multiple Guide Sets in Photoshop

Aug 12, 2010 3:21 PM

I've been able to find very little documentation (mostly just user requests) about having multiple guide sets in Photoshop. I really think this would be a useful tool. Has anyone heard anything about this feature (maybe in upcoming versions - can it be done another way)?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 13, 2010 1:09 AM   in reply to Shan-Dysigns

Shan-Dysigns wrote:

I've been able to find very little documentation (mostly just user requests) about having multiple guide sets in Photoshop. I really think this would be a useful tool. Has anyone heard anything about this feature (maybe in upcoming versions - can it be done another way)?

Save a blank file with the desired guides and use it as a template.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 13, 2010 9:54 AM   in reply to Shan-Dysigns

Seems like a useful idea to me.  I suppose now most folks just add/move/remove guides as needed.  They snap to stuff if you hold the shift key down, so if you've made something a while ago and removed the guide, you can get one back to the same place.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2010 10:13 AM   in reply to Shan-Dysigns

Shan-Dysigns wrote:

Has anyone else thought this would be a cool feature?

It already is in Indesign – which is a true layout program.

Photoshop is primarily a photo editor with a bit of digital painting capability thrown in and I would like to think Adobe would be concentrating on getting rid of the current problems without bloating the software with even more marginal features.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Aug 13, 2010 4:47 PM   in reply to Shan-Dysigns

If you just talking about Guide lines that is very easy to do in Photoshop. Just create an Action to add the guidelines you want a set to have.  Create as many actions to set guide as you need. The Shortcut ( Shift+Alt+Ctrl+;  ) will clear all guide line if you want to start out fresh. You can add guide sets it other sets by playing several actions the set guide lines.  Guide line can be set relatively or absolutely...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2010 12:55 PM   in reply to Shan-Dysigns

That's exactly what JJMack was saying.

Create an action that clears guides, and creates your horizontal layout guides. Also create one that clears guides and create verticals. Run the appropriate action when you need the corresponding guides. It's certainly not as clean as sets, but with the same basic functionality.

Try reading the responses with the mindset of how they might help you, not how they might be wrong.

BTW, selecting all layers and dragging to John's [useless] template docs will also work (and there you can have new slice sets for each layout).

Or just fill out a feature request and wait. Your choice.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2010 1:06 PM   in reply to Gyno-jiz

Or try doing it in InDesign.  

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2010 7:56 PM   in reply to Shan-Dysigns

t I just wish they would literally read a little closer to what I'm trying to get at than throw up random suggestions and hope something sticks. I'm not strictly talking about this post, but in general to the majority of my topics.

I will just look for the feature request and be done with it...

That's because the majority of your posts are feature requests.

Good luck. Be sure to look out for my noise in your next post. I'll make sure it's level one for you, grand master.

I've got say I do take delight in knowing that PS employees who cruise this forum skip over queries with multiple posts, as they take that to mean it's been answered. And given the fact that we live here it does appear you'll just have to suck it up. Oh, and what you're really looking for is a grid. In case you're not familiar with google. Oops, level one hint dropped (awww, snap).

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Aug 14, 2010 7:09 PM   in reply to Shan-Dysigns

Look if you want a new feature  Adobe has a web  Feature Request Form that you can use to submit your feature request here is its URL https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform.  Also in the Adobe support forums there is Photoshop Feature Requests Forum you should also use that forum.

If you want help with available Photoshop versions use the Photoshop Windows, Photoshop Macintosh and Photoshop Scripting Forums. The way I see it your posting to the wrong forum.  Sorry there is no  rumor  forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2010 7:51 PM   in reply to JJMack

How about a moron forum? I'd trade my kingdom for a whore in there.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2010 7:35 AM   in reply to Shan-Dysigns

"So, if it is your desire to discombobulate [another word for you to look up] me and sabotage my posts by adding your "noise", at least I have it in your writing so I can forward to Adobe forum moderators."

I'm not saying that.

And Shan, I've already solved your problem, and would have contributed my solution if you hadn't been so impolite to JJ and JJ. Try and be a little more polite to folks (especially the one who suggested the solution you're about to use -- I mean, come on).

Multiple Guides

Shoe!

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 15, 2010 11:21 AM   in reply to Shan-Dysigns

"Shoe"? 

The culture around here occasionally gets hostile.  Just ignore it; try not to get caught up in it.  You're expressing a valid need and idea.  More power to you.

The Photoshop Jedi says:  "There's good in them, I can feel it." 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2010 1:31 AM   in reply to Shan-Dysigns

I came here looking for the same thing, and personally found the Actions idea great, so thanks for the question and thanks for the answer.

The Actions works a treat.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 2:40 AM   in reply to Shan-Dysigns

WOW! Is this the best solution you guys can come up with? Really!

I come across this over a year later (unfotunetly) and no-one has come up with anything better!

Here is my Solution that I have been using since PS6:

1) Create a New Group. Call it "GUIDES" for easy reference or whatever is easiest for you to identify.

2) Select Line Tool (U)

3) Set size to 1px (or bigger, depending on your requirements)

4) Draw your Line(s) (Guides) as desired - Horizontal, Vertical, Diagonal, or Other.

5) Done.

* Don't forget to move the "Guides" Group to the top of the layers list so that it is above all layers.

* also check your Snap settings under the "View" menu.

Bonus:

You now have the most advanced and fully customizable guides ever. Let your imagination go wild!!

Ideas:

1) Create 1 Line per Guide.

2) Create a Hierarchy of Groups under your main guides group - (Banner, Title, Heading, Subheading, Text, Arrows, Buttons, Image #, etc)

3) Colourize your Lines (Guides) for easy identification

4) Use the "eye" to show or hide your guides - either as a whole or individualy or as desired.

5) Colour code your Groups as well.

6) Create a PSD file that contains ALL of your Templates and copy this, to that document. You will now have a database resource of Templates.

6a) Now if you create a new document, you can open your Template Resource PSD document and drag the required template(s) to your new document and adjust as needed.

7) You can even use the "Lock" to lock your new guides.

* Now you don't have to worry about searching your millions of "Actions" every 10seconds to find the Guide(s) you need. Just Click to Show or Click to Hide. Simple!

"Actions" are for repetitive or time consuming tasks, not to Show or Hide stuff.

I think this covers what you need or needed...

I hope this helps with future stuff and those that may need this in the future.

Regards,

RaveWolf.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 29, 2011 6:25 AM   in reply to RaveWolf

Nice tip, RaveWolf, and great first post!  Thank you for your contribution.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2011 7:00 AM   in reply to Shan-Dysigns

Thanks for your reply... It is actually very simple to move. Just use "Shift". It semi-locks whatever you move.

So if you hold Shift and move the mouse, the image will lock on that plane - Horizontally or Vertically.

Oh, just so you know the "Line Tool" technicaly is a smart object already.

Glad to hear that you found a solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2011 7:39 AM   in reply to Shan-Dysigns

Shan, I think your marked correct answer is also equally convoluted workaround.

The best solution is a feature request. I don't think it will take much to be implemented if there is a demand. In Illustrator the guides belong to a layer - sometimes I whish they don't but most of the time it is  better idea. I think a new feature that treats guides similar to shape and text layers with an option to hide the layer or stay visible when Alt + clicking on other layers' eye would be the best solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2011 1:36 AM   in reply to Shan-Dysigns

Hi All,

Please accept my full apology...

I Said... "WOW! Is this the best solution you guys can come up with? Really! I come across this over a year later (unfotunetly) and no-one has come up with anything better!"

I now fully understand why the solutions ended... Clearly, the only person that can please Shan, is Shan himself. (125 posts since 2009?) are any of those solutions satisfactory?

Again - My Full apology.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2011 2:04 AM   in reply to Shan-Dysigns

If you really want to »get something accomplished and not wait around for a potential (if any) new feature« you may want to ask around in the Photoshop Scripting Forum.

There is a Panel available that helps keep track of external files for Smart Objects – I have not installed it but I think it stores the information about the originally placed files’ location in the metadata.

One might also apply this approach, I suspect, to simulating guide-sets by having a Script write the existing guides’ parameters into the document’s or maybe layers’ metadata and later recreating them with a Script that reads out that information.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2011 11:32 AM   in reply to Shan-Dysigns

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2011 6:53 PM   in reply to Shan-Dysigns

Sorry, never knew I was responding to a Five year old!!! Seriously!!!! Get

over yourself and GROW UP!!!

I'm Done wasting my time on you. I'll stick to all my other blogs where

people actually appreciate help, advise and

the occasional "constructive criticism".

PS- If your work is still "a work-in-progress" (

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Shan-Dysigns/119627724770343?sk=info) and you

are still looking for assistance for Adobe Creative Suite on Blogs since "July

of 1999"  Then maybe A Graphic or Web Design career is not for you!!!

NB: Never publish a site that does not work or is incomplete...

http://shan-dysigns.com/userForums/dreamweaver/atws/ (ALL pages say: "NOT

FOUND"), Instead, link them to an under construction page or at least test

it first before publishing.

If you want advise or assistance from a "Professional" then "Bite the

bullet" once in a while and maybe "YOU" will learn something.

My apologies for trying to help... I'll keep my eyes open to make sure that

I never reply to any of your requests again... Good luck with your Career...

You must after all be the "Professional" since you're the one that "provides

online technical/design support through a peer-to-peer computer connection".

Not sure why you are asking for help on Blogs!!! after 12years of it, but

hay, each to his own.

For your information, I've been programming and doing Graphic design from

the age of 13 since the Sinclair ZX-Spectrum and Commodore Vic-20 / 64 for

over 23 Years.

I have also worked on almost every OS (that's Operating System - in case

you don't know) since then. I could give a list of all the software and

Operating Systems I've worked on, but don't have the time to teach you how

to use the mouse wheel to "Scroll Down".

To answer a previous question: NO! I'm following your blogs, but as can be

seen in this reply, You pop up like a "sore thumb" all over the WWW (Sorry,

that's World Wide Web - Not Wild Wild West).

Take off your Spurs and step outta Texas... There is no need to be spittin'

in the spittoon.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2011 10:55 PM   in reply to Shan-Dysigns

First of all you moron, the Facebook page is a work in progress

Please refrain from using such insults on this Forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2011 11:08 PM   in reply to Shan-Dysigns

I’m no police and I have not bothered reading the whole thread, I just noticed your use of »moron«.

If others have been equally impolite to you it was improper on their part, but is it really a good reason for you to use that language?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 5, 2011 6:08 AM   in reply to Shan-Dysigns

It's time for everyone just to move on and ignore anything further said here, however derisive or irritating it may seem.

Please allow me to make a few suggestions: 

• Sign up for forums using your real name, and post only things you'd say to others in person in polite company, and of which you'll be proud of having associated with your name far into the future.
    • Arguments, bad judgment, and misunderstandings happen.  Defusing an argument is an admirable skill.  ANYONE can escalate one - it's a skill we acquire at age 2. 

Everyone reading realizes, when someone throws an insult out publicly, that it's the person doing the insulting who's making the mistake.  Don't propagate it to yourself by responding in kind.  Take a higher road and just laugh it off.  You'll be proud of having done that later.

And there's no need to explain or justify what's happened; it's out there for all to see.

"Heh heh heh, thank you for your opinions.  I shall treasure them!"

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2011 1:02 AM   in reply to Shan-Dysigns

This thread may be of interest to you, as there is a script that will allow multiple guide sets NB: the name must not contain a # as that is what is used as a seperator.

The quide sets are saved in the documents metadata.

CS5 or better is required...

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/932834?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 1:47 PM   in reply to Shan-Dysigns

I don't want to get involved in the 'debate', but I stumbled across the post while searching to see if this kind of functionality had been added in yet. I want to +10000000 the OP's idea. Just being able to have 'layers' with different sets of guides that you could turn on and off would improve my workflow a thousand fold. None of the 'work around' solutions would speed up my workflow, in fact they would slow it down but maybe alleviate the headache of trying to remember which guideline, out the thousand (exaggeration) streaking every which way across my screen, is the one I want.

Really feel like Adobe has missed a trick here. It's always been one of those things when I consider everything that Photoshop can do and I'm like... "Really? You can't do that? Huh...weeeeeird."

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points