Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

MOD & TOD Files - Some Comments & Links

Aug 13, 2010 8:31 AM

Tags: #premiere #panasonic #mod_files #tod_files #jvc

This ARTICLE was originally posted to the PrE discussions forum, and I am linking to it here, as the MOD files are quite popular with JVC and other cameras. This will allow us to also find that thread more easily.

Please look down at the bottom of that thread for some links to other threads, with comments by Chris at JVC. He has some good thoughts and tips.

Hope that this helps, if one has a camera, that produces MOD files. The TOD HD files are falling out of favor, and are being replaced by other formats/CODEC's.

Hunt

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 17, 2011 11:29 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

A late reply, but just thought I'd mention that the avove JVC link isn't relevant. It is about a particular codec used in a MOV file, not a MOD file. The two are competely different.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2011 9:43 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Just change the extension on the .mod files to .m2t and you should be fine.  It works for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2011 9:05 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I am currently using Adobe Premiere Pro CS3. I have a JVC 20 gb hard drive video camcorder that I have currently recorded footage on. I need to either find a way to capture that footage somehow or convert the videos from .MOD files to a supported format for Adobe without the blurry pixelated quality of the video and the lack of sound on certain formats. If anyone can steer me in the right direction, your help would be appreciated! Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2011 9:21 AM   in reply to christian6_11

What have you tried?

Did you try simply changing the file extention to .m2t?

You could always download the trial for CS5.5 and work with your footage there or simply export it to a format that your CS3 supports.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2011 9:42 AM   in reply to Shawn Lam

By changing the file extension to .m2t, will it show a clear visual of my footage without a blurry pixelated visual and will the audio stay in tact?  Also, what are the limitations of downloading the trial version of CS5.5?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2011 10:16 AM   in reply to christian6_11

Dude - just try it.  It worked for me when I had the same problem with a client's footage on CS5.  I have no idea if it will work on CS3 because that version is three generations old and although I still have it running on one of my old systems that I keep active just in case updates to Productin Premium remove functionality (it happens...) it is much easier if you just try it for yourself as there are a lot of variables.

It should not affect the audio of video.

No limitations for downloading CS5.5 trial, other than you need a supported system (64 bit o/s and meet minimum specs).  And oh yeah, it is a trial so at some point you need to buy it or uninstall it.  CS5.5 won't play .mod files natively - you will still need to change the file extenstion - so why not start with that step.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2011 10:20 AM   in reply to Shawn Lam

thanks!  I appreciate it!  Have a Merry Christmas!

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt wrote:

Chris at JVC just sent me a PM on the use of the JVC MOD files with PrPro CS5.0.2. I hope that this proves useful to others.

There is an update to Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 which will greatly enhance the compatibility of this software with our JVC Pro camcorders.  Please check out the press release at the following url:

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/pr/2010/releases/premiere_pro_update.html

Thanks to Chris for this link,

Hunt

This link is for JVC MOV and not MOD files.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt wrote:

A PrPro CS5 user posted, asking for some instructions on dealing with TOD & MOD files. In his search, he found this YouTube Tutorial. That poster is testing the workflow, and will update on whether it is successful. Note: I have not tried editing TOD, or MOD files in PrE, or PrPro, so cannot vouch for any of these methods.

I hope that it helps others.

Hunt

Some bad advice in the tutorial: like installing K-lite.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 8:48 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

Elements is much more suited for MOD files then Premiere Pro.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 12:33 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

Ann Bens wrote:

This link is for JVC MOV and not MOD files.

That's exactly what I said a few posts back.

Well said Bill, completey agree about codec packs. But I haven't had any problems using ffdshow. If the ffdshow codecs get dragged in unexpectedly you can usually sort this out by using its program white/black listing options which prevent it being used in specific applications.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)