Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator CS5 Rotate Tool Anchor Point Bug

Aug 18, 2010 9:49 PM

Summary:

I can reproduce this bug consistently, every single time.  I am unable to set a new anchor point for the rotate tool in Illustrator CS5.

Steps to reproduce the bug:

1.  Create a new shape, doesn't matter what

2.  Press R or just select the rotate tool

3.  Alt-Click to pick up the anchor point and drag to a new posiiton

4.  Let the mouse go- at this point the anchor stays locked to the cursor even if I click and am only able to unlock it from the cursor if I click on a new tool, but without getting to choose a new anchor point.

Also I tried this with a Intuos 2 tablet and pen with the same results.  I have an NVidia Quadro FX 3500 card installed with the latest driver as well.

I'm not sure if this issue is related, but also in After Effects CS5 if I press 0 to start doing a preview and then click away say on Firefox, then click back to After Effects, I am unable to click around inside After Effects to get the render to stop.  It makes me wait until the whole comp is pushed into a ram preview before it unlocks itself.

Any ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 19, 2010 12:34 AM   in reply to Infinity_Spiral

Your After effects problem may depend on specific features or effects used, so post your question over there and provide more info. As for your AI issue, I have no idea. Quite possible there's a bug somewhere. Does it also occur with guides and grids? Any particular reason you need the rotatete tool and not the generic transform?

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2010 3:59 AM   in reply to Infinity_Spiral

I see... Was beginning to wonder, as it works with no issues for me.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2010 12:53 PM   in reply to Infinity_Spiral

I too experience this problem and was hoping to find a solution.  I've tried reverting to early Wacom Driver versions with no success. I find that if you "break the connection" between the pen and the tablet then the rotate point will drop and the rotate dialog will appear.  I've found that this only works reliably when lifting the pen straight up off of the tablet til it loses signal. Not ideal for precision work.  You'll notice that the rotate point drops when you move over to the menus, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the "drawing area."

My system specs for comparison.

Intuos 3

Windows 7 x64

Wacom driver v. 615-3a

Illustrator CS5 15.0.1

Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ Driver Version 258.96

Core i7 920 Processor

12Gb DDR3 Ram

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2010 3:16 PM   in reply to Infinity_Spiral

I can't test on CS5 now but I use it everyday at work and haven't noticed a difference with CS4

3.  Alt-Click to pick up the anchor point and drag to a new posiiton

4.  Let the mouse go- at this point the anchor stays locked to the cursor even if I click and am only able to unlock it from the cursor if I click on a new tool, but without getting to choose a new anchor point.

I didn't know about Alt-Clicking and dragging to change the rotation reference point, Alt-Clicking works fine for that purpose without dragging. I did Alt-Click and drag with the same results, no bug or lock with CS4, I'll try CS5 on Tuesday.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 4:05 PM   in reply to Infinity_Spiral

I have found that if I click directly on the pivot point I can drag and drop it without any sort of Alt funny business or any hanging to my mouse. I'm not sure if this is a happy glitch or they just made life easier in CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 4:49 AM   in reply to Infinity_Spiral

I've had this bug for as long as I can remember now - it occurs with the rotate tool and also the scale tool.

If I want to position the pivot point I have to use the mouse, which works fine. I would contact Wacom, but to be honest I'm somewhat jaded by relentlessly lacklustre product support throughout all areas of everything that I just can't be bothered.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 4:39 AM   in reply to Infinity_Spiral

May be the bounding box is off?. In illustrator, go to View > Show bounding box > Enjoy

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 4:20 AM   in reply to Infinity_Spiral

I have the same issue. The problem started when I upgraded to cs5. I too am on Windows using an older CTE 640 table. I've tries everything (short of contacting WACOM) and not been able to resolve the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 4:37 AM   in reply to go2qdesign

For the record: I no longer see this bug in AI CS6 on Win7 x64

Nice

Message was edited by: curtjackson (added spec)

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 1:49 PM   in reply to curtjackson

May be reason enough to upgrade. Thanks for the info.

This message was sent from my phone and typed on a tiny little keyboard, probably while juggling flaming chainsaws or battling wild animals, so please forgive any typos and the brevity of my message.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 8:30 AM   in reply to Infinity_Spiral

Hey, Ive just come across the same issue, im using a wacom and manage to resolve it by pressing the "windows" key. It seems that when the windows menu pops up outside of Illustrator it sort of breaks the trance of the stuck ancor point. Silly really but works for now.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 10:21 AM   in reply to Infinity_Spiral

Im using CS5 and I use a wacom Intuos 3 that has a mouse but i never use it. I have a Logitech mouse that doesnt have the issue so definately the wacom but since using the wacom full time a few months ago i never use a mouse. It is a really weird issue but must have somthing to do with the software not recognising the wacoms tap or the wacom not telling the software, or something!?!?

Either way, in a little frustration tapping any key that i thought would commit the ancor move i hit the windows ket and realised it kinda slapped Illustrator to snap outta its trance and get on with it. Let me know if you recall any update that is practical than this current method.

cheers,

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points