Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Best Export Settings Full HD for YouTube using Premiere CS4

Aug 19, 2010 4:16 AM

Dear All,
Thank you beforehand for your time.
I am uploading sporting videos on YouTube particularly snooker.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5qyGPld8U8
The videos are captured with a high quality videocamera and then edited with Adobe Premiere CS4.
May I ask two questions:
1. Which are the best export settings for Youtube when using a Full HD source file (1920 x 1080) at 30 frames per second ?
For the export file I use the same width and height as the source file i.e. 1920x1080.
However, the original file is shot @ 30 fps but I read somewhere that I shoould use 59.94 fps for the export file and it seems to be working although it doesn't sound right, does it :-)
My current settings for my export file are:
Video Settings
Main Concept H.264 video
Width and Height : 1920x1080
FPS: 59.94 fps
Pixel Aspect Ratio:Square Pixels
Profile: Main
Level: 4.2
Bitrate Settings
Bitrate Encoding: VBR, 1 Pass (I also use 2 as it doesn't make matters worse it just takes longer to render, pls correct me if I am wrong)
Target Bitrate: 4.8
Maximum Bitrate: 8.2
KINDLY PLEASE CORRECT THE ABOVE SETTINGS AND EXPLAIN WHY IF POSSIBLE, MANY THANKS :-)
2. Is it normal that the export video plays great on my PC but when uploaded on YouTube it skips frames and seems a bit choppy?
I have watched many clips on YouTube at 720p or 1080p and the seemed v good, when I watched mine it was not playing as smoothly as it does on my pc.
Is this something I have to keep in mind so as to assist the YouTube player by chnaging my export settings.
Kindly please comment on the above and also watch my videos for your comments on how to improve the quality.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!
Best wishes form Athens Greece,
Snookergr

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 19, 2010 9:01 AM   in reply to snookergr

---------------

The videos are captured with a high quality videocamera

------------------------

what is the camera brand and model number ?

can you post a screenshot of your video source footage using GSpot ( free program ) here ?

I think that's the first thing to deal with as it looks like your original footage is interlaced and before going further it would be good to confirm what your source footage is...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2010 1:24 PM   in reply to snookergr

This ARTICLE might help regarding the screen-caps.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2010 2:16 PM   in reply to snookergr

Thanks for telling what you shot footage with.

The screenshot would be putting the video into gspot , hitting the prnt screen button, opening an image program like photoshop, choose file / new ...it should automatically "see" whats in the screenshot (copied to computer with prnt screen ) and open the new file with the correct dimensions...no need to adjust anything...when new "file" opens then "paste" into the new file...you should see the screenshot in the new file...

crop it so its just the info you want to save and then upload it to this forum..after saving as JPG image on your desktop or somewhere easy to find...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2010 3:39 PM   in reply to snookergr

There is a preset for YouTube HD widescreen under the H264 format

Use that, it works great.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2010 8:21 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

Hi,

I think Ann's suggestion to export is what you should do...

---------------------she said -------------

There is a preset for YouTube HD  widescreen under the H264 format

Use that, it works great.

--------------------------------------------------

However, I don't think you have the correct project setting to begin with, and that may have some big effect on your export.

The GSpot screenshot didnt tell us what we wanted, which is what your source footage is...and you could try---- mediainfo -----instead, another free program..and use the "tree" view to see all the details of your file.

Since I didnt get to see the specs of your footage I googled your camera brand and model and came up with some facts that suggest you may not have the correct project settings to start with ....which may have an bad effect on your exporting....

Your Gspot screenshot says you have a filename extension of mt2s, which is avchd , and then confuses me with the mpeg-2 transport stream, mp2t..info..  so maybe the free program----- mediainfo-----can tell us more.  We are looking for exact specs of the footage which will probably look something like this:

1920x1080 interlaced 60 fields, 16:9, 30 fps, 16,000kbps ....

Here is what sony says about your camera basically ( as far as we care about it at this moment )

------------------------------------

sony handycam HDR-XR520ve

Format : HD: MPEG4 AVC/H.264; SD: MPEG2
    Video Signal : HD: 1920 x 1080/60i
    SD: NTSC color, EIA standards

---------------

Movie Format

High Definition, AVCHD (1920 x 1080, 1440 x 1080) / Standard Definition, MPEG2
    Recording Media  
    240GB Hard Disk Drive, Memory Stick
    Movie Quality   
    HD ; FH (1920x1080i, 16Mbps) / HQ (9Mbps) / SP (7Mbps) / LP (5Mbps) , SD ; HQ (9Mbps) / SP (6Mbps) / LP (3Mbps)

----------------------------

Note especially that according to this your camera shoots HD interlaced footage at 30fps.  When you set up your project in premiere it should "match" the footage...and the specs of the footage.  If your source footage is SD ( mpeg-2) --then you should match THOSE specs.

When you export progressive ( for the web ) you will lose half your interleaved fields...which essentially means you need to export a frame size "half" the size of your original footage to keep nice quality....But we are getting ahead of ourselves, because before exporting considerations it's important to make sure your original footage is in a project that matches that footage...

That is probably why I thought I saw ( on youtube sample you have linked here ) interlaced artifacts in the video...?

After you get the right project settings, once again, I would try what Ann suggested in her post to you !  Good Luck !

ps...youtube is progressive for watching on computers, and if you want to burn a blue ray, you could burn it interlaced and let the blue ray player deal with the sending the right signal to the digital tv ....in other words, you keep the frame size on export for blue ray...but for progressive you may have to half the size of the frame ....hope that makes sense...  also ---youtube will reformat your video no matter what you give them...but usually they convert everything to mp4 and so the preset Ann speaks about will probably be mp4 so there is less fudging by youtube when they get it...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 6:39 AM   in reply to snookergr

HI,

Thanks for all the info....that helps a lot...Im gonna hope Ann helps you with this project setting because I dont have cs4, I have cs3..without avchd presets...which is probably what you'll use...

you want 1920x1080 25 fps (24.97 ? ), top field first (interlaced), etc..instead of 1440x1080 progressive like you have picked on screenshot...but let Ann tell you which preset to use as I dont have cs4 and she is familiar with this format I think...

With regard to the video interlaced in general...there are two pdf files on this internet website page ( PDF FILES ) that give the basics of video info...

http://rodneybauer.com/whiteboard3.htm

When you have the time breeze through them and you'll see what you're dealing with...

Ann may also have suggestions for using cineform with premiere cs4 for BETTER results but that's sorta another issue...and may not apply for an export to the web like this case..

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 7:14 AM   in reply to snookergr

you are welcome  

interlaced was sorta invented for use with broadcast tv and the quality is very good, and sometimes even better than progressive ( even today ) if there is a lot of 'Action' in a scene  ( less blur in single frames if you look at the single frames to compare )..also, most DVD's to date have been burned from interlaced footage and many blue ray are too....

The dvd player or blue ray player can figure out what sort of tv it is hooked up to ( digital widescreen tv or old 4:3 crt tv ) and deliver the proper signal to make it all look good...

So there's no need to think progressive is automatically BETTER than interlaced...it depends on a lot of stuff...

lets see if Ann weighs in with cs4 settings for you ...while you read more of those pdf files , hehe...you will be expert in no time !

ps...if you feel like it , check out the color sampling info ( you have YUV and 4.2.0

I mention this as it might help later re: good color reproduction on your exports ( your youtube color was a little over "saturated" IMO...very very green and very very red )....so at some point maybe that can be fixed up a little bit too...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 7:27 AM   in reply to snookergr

You have an AVCHD camera so you must use a AVCHD preset.

NTSC is 60i.

avchd sequence.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 7:40 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

You have PAL and in the U.S. we have NTSC....that's what Ann meant by saying NTSC is 60i ....just pointing out the difference between countries ( standards ...which is based on our electric grids -- power from wall socket )

Thanks Ann !!!

when you get your project done export as Ann suggested to that youtube preset....and yes, you have to reduce the size of the movie, I would stay with the default ( I think you said 720x480 16:9 ? )  and if you have choice leave it --"main" high and level 4 (same as source)

For Blue ray it would stay the same dimensions and be interlaced ....I believe....and in general you would export other stuff for PAL probably...

SD would be 720x576 I think...  good luck !

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 11:47 AM   in reply to snookergr

Hi,

hmm, well, that's a boatload of stuff to cover...

yes, progressive for youtube ( probably is set that way for the preset export to youtube, with reduction in frame sizes to accomodate - bitrate is probably already set also, and cbr, or vbr stuff )

yes interlaced for dvd and blue ray...match footage.

yes progressive to watch in a media player on computer, and again, reduce the frame dimensions to half your original...dont use mpeg 2 for that, as that is basically to burn discs...try microsoft wmv etc

Hopefully you are using encore for any dvd blue ray burns...that will make life easier for you.

note: if you watch interlaced footage exported for burning a dvd or blue ray on computer with a media player it will look horrible probably...you have to burn the disc and look at THAT to see the real quality.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points