Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

After Effects for color grading

Aug 20, 2010 5:33 PM

Hello. I requested as a new feature the next:

"A special timeline only for import EDL, with only three layers, for video A, B and a transition layer between both, and also perhaps several adjustment layers above, for professional color grading with effects as Colorista 2, for example. After Effects is more suitable for color grading than Premiere for its color management, precise control (mask, tracker, etc) and OpenGL realtime playback. Color grading in the current timeline is possible with only 10-20 layers, but with +100 layer is very dificult, almost impossible.

Also will be interesting the full screen playback mode as Premiere on desktop second monitor, for video preview."

Do you think this is a good idea?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 21, 2010 8:37 AM   in reply to Manuel Volcano

Yes, After Effects is a great color correction tool. As far as what's the best way to go about it, it depends on what you're trying to acheive and how awesome your computer is. Pick a film you want to match the look to and go from there. Deciding on the look will do a lot to determine your workflow.  BTW you should seriously consider saving color correction until you've locked the cut. Then you can work off the edit render.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2010 7:35 AM   in reply to red-mike

Color grading is only partially subjective.

You need a superb monitor and excellent viewing conditions and you need to be absolutely conversant with video scopes.

bogiesan

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2010 1:24 PM   in reply to Manuel Volcano

Don't be too anxious to get an entire feature into AE as a single project. Back in the day when we cut and spliced film we worked with a maximum reel size of 1000 feet. That's 10 minutes. Even the colorist at the lab only worked on 1000 feet at a time. When It's time for me to color grade in AE I render to a nearly lossless or lossless 10 bit codec segments or scenes of the movie that go together so that I'm not dealing with every shot.

This is actually the same way I cut. I cut Scenes together as individual sequences then I drag all of the scenes into a new timeline that is the movie. If a scene needs work then I just open up that scene's timeline and make the changes. This is easier in the long run, faster, and especially easier when you're trying to fine tune the story and the performances. I know a lot of editors that work this way. I've never seen anyone with a bunch of experience just start at 00:00:00;00 and start cutting a show from the first shot to the last. I've never known anyone that was that good.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2010 3:47 PM   in reply to Manuel Volcano

Think keyframes. I can't recall a single long form project that I've ever done in AE that required each shot to be on a unique layer. I should do a video tutorial.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points