Skip navigation
adunavent
Currently Being Moderated

Pictures look grainy

Aug 21, 2010 2:00 PM

Hey need help, I use LR2 to open my raw images

I then select an effect preset that I have downloaded from internet, when i upload them to my site or Facebook my pictures not all but some are looking grainy any suggestions welcomed! THANKS

Amanda

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 21, 2010 2:09 PM   in reply to adunavent

Post an example and maybe some one can give you some idea. Lets us know the exposure and ISO setting and what processing you did as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 8:07 PM   in reply to adunavent

Depending on the camera, auto mode will crank the ISO if it cannot satsify the exposure requirements with either shutter speed or aperture.  This can result in grainy images.

Lr 3 will apply some (or no) noise reduction on import based on the ISO. I recall that higher ISO images will not have NR cranked, so you will have to tweak thos by hand. Or apply a preset upon import.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2010 4:17 PM   in reply to adunavent

Since I'm using a trial of LR3, I cannot get phone support, so I was told to post here for help.

After editing, many of my photos turn out grainy....mostly when I use the adjustment brush, I notice the grain in the spots where I used the brush.  I am a beginner with LR, but I thought it did everything in layers and was non-destructive editing.  Am I mistaken?  Has this happened to anyone else?  Am I just doing something wrong?  Any help is greatly appreciated   :}

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2010 10:16 PM   in reply to adunavent

Hi! 

I've noticed a similar issue, but only when uploaded to Facebook from a mac computer. It seems like they have written different code for processing files before uploading when it comes from a mac. I can't seem to replicate the issue on a PC. I have a number of clients that i shoot for, so i've had the chance to try this out on quite a few different comps during random editing and uploading sessions.

Cheers,

Ben

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2010 8:49 AM   in reply to adunavent

No idea. The issue seems to have something to do with the way noise reduction and sharpening is done in Lightroom and the way the uploader is coded in facebook for macs. Seems a lot worse if the original image was .RAW. I haven't experimented much with size, i don't think it will fix anything. Perhaps copy the format, resolution dpi etc of an image saved directly from facebook and upload an image matching that format. Report back with what happens

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points