Skip navigation
CLVPRO
Currently Being Moderated

Importing multiple Sony XDCAM EX Clips

Aug 22, 2010 10:16 AM

Is there a way to import more than one clip (from Sony EX1 camera) at a time into Premiere Pro?

First, I transfer the footage from my camera to my computer hard drives using the Sony Clip Browser. Then I go into Premiere Pro CS5, and import the clips. However, since the footage needs the folder structure, I can only select one clip at a time to import. Is there a way to see all the clips within the folders and import more than one clip at a time into Premiere Pro? Sony Clip Browser will show all the video clips within the sub folders and allow transfers of multiple clips at once, but I don't know a way to do that in Premiere Pro.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 22, 2010 10:20 AM   in reply to CLVPRO

Why not import the complete BPAV directory and disregard the unsupported file error? That will import all your clips in one go.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2010 10:21 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

I think you can use Media Browser as well... right?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2010 12:50 PM   in reply to CLVPRO

Colin's suggestion is even better in that you get no error messages.

Use Media Browser for all of your tapeless workflows.

You will only see the files Premiere needs (even thumnails in the case of P2).

You can preview (double click) and import those files by dragging them into the project bin or the timeline.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2010 3:43 PM   in reply to CLVPRO

Does the "View As" dropdown say "File Directory" or "XDCAM-EX"?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2010 5:48 PM   in reply to CLVPRO

This is the Media Browser we have been referring to.If it doesn't work for you, then there is something wrong with your setup.

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2010 5:55 PM   in reply to CLVPRO

I would suggestthat it is better to use the Sony software rather than Adobe's clip Browser as it includes error checking and correction which, as far as I know, is not done if you use the Adobe software.

Geoff

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2010 6:06 PM   in reply to CLVPRO

As you can see, you can also import XDCAM files converted into MXF files via Media Browser, thus solving the audio problem that arises when importing XDCAM EX files from the PMW-350 into a Premiere Pro CS5 timeline.

Capture 2.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2010 7:00 PM   in reply to CLVPRO

Ah yes, the Clip Browser introduced in CS4.

Media Browser, remember... Clip Browser is that Sony thing.

One thing you might want to check before going hog-wild on the logging in Clip Browser is that the Media Browser and, more importantly, Premiere actually read the metadata. I haven't worked with XDCAM too much, and the last time was with CS4, and it did not read any of the metadata--particularly frustrating after spending a day logging footage

Might save you a bit of grief... or it might be fixed now...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points