Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot import CR2

Aug 22, 2010 2:30 PM

I recently upgraded to Lightroom 3 from version 2.6. Along with upgrading Lightroom I installed Photoshop CS5. I am on a Windows computer, 64bit, Windows Vista. I am now unable to import my CR2 files using lightroom. I am given the error of the files not being able to be imported because the file type cannot be read. I have tried CR2 files from my Canon 7D and my Canon T1i. Neither camera's files can be imported. I was able to import my Lightroom catalog from 2.6 into 3. Lightroom is able to read and do everything just fine with my old files. I am just not able to import anything new. I checked for updates and everything seems to be up to date. I don't know if it makes a difference but I still have Lightroom 2.6 still installed on my computer along with Lightroom 3. What do I need to do to be able to import my files? Thanks for your help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 22, 2010 2:36 PM   in reply to Justin_Philip

Justin,

Are you importing directly from the camera, or via card reader? If not, try doing the import with a card reader. If still a problem, try copying the files from the camera to HD in finder/explorer and import from HD.

Beat Gossweiler

Switzerland

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2010 3:11 PM   in reply to Justin_Philip

I did not suggest these steps as permanent solution, but to rule out causes.

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2010 5:46 PM   in reply to Justin_Philip

Justin,  I seem to have the same problem that you do, that I discovered a couple days ago.  I use a laptop with a Windows operating system and a Macintosh desktop with Snow Leopard.  I run Lightroom on both of them.  The Windows laptop has Windows Vista Home service pack 2, version 6.0 [6002], with AVG Antivirus software.  About a week ago I upgraded from Lightroom 2 [481478], to Lightroom 3 on the laptop.  I left the LR2 on the laptop as well as LR3.  No other changes have been to the laptop or its software applications that I know of.  I had upgraded to LR3 on my Macintosh about 8 weeks ago.

All of the following were using my laptop:  Previously I had no problem with LR2 for any functions.  I just purchased an Epson 7000 media storage device, and about 1 1/2 weeks ago practiced importing images into LR2, and those images were pulled in OK. Next, I upgraded to LR3.  I discovered that the Epson's images had been placed into a wrong folder when I opened LR3.  I used the remapping function in LR3 to move the images into the correct folder.  Next, I used a SanDisk card reader to import images into LR3, but the following error message appeared "the following files were not imported because they could not be read" (Import Results said  'some import operations were not performed').  I tried importing a single image, and multiple images, but had the same error.  I tried switching the card reader to each of 4 different USB port on the laptop, with the same error occurring on each USB port used.

In order to try to isolate the problem.  I took the SanDisk card reader with the memory card and successfully imported the images into LR3 on my Macintosh desktop computer; so to me the problem is not the card reader or the memory card.  I also used the SanDisk recovery disk while using my laptop to look at the files on the memory card and I could see all the images correctly while in the recovery program, but I have not copied the images to the laptop's hard disk, and have not tried an import into the laptop's LR3.  I did not import images directly from my camera to the laptop LR3 since I did not think it would help with the troubleshooting.  I then ran the Repair from the Adobe LR3 CD upgrade disk, on my laptop.  Then I tried doing the import using the SanDisk reader and memory card, but the same problem occurred and same error message, that the files could not be imported.  I then used the Laptop's Control Panel function to remove LR3 application.  Then I did a fresh upgrade of LR3 on my laptop, but the same error message and I am unable to do any import of the memory card from the card reader.  I then tried to do an image import from the Epson 7000 into the laptop, and the same error message and I am unable to do any import.  Looks like I am unable to do any importing into LR3.  I then tried doing an image import into LR2 on the laptop, and got the same problem to occur.

I would appreciate other forum members help with this problem.

MikeH

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2010 5:53 PM   in reply to MikeH_Schaumburg_IL

I have a Canon EOS Rebel 35mm SLR, that is about 3 years old, and those are the images that I cannot import into LR.

MikeH

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2010 6:33 PM   in reply to MikeH_Schaumburg_IL

Do you images import if you plug-in the camera to the computer and use the camera as the card reader?

Do the images import if you copy them from the reader to the hard-drive, first?

Perhaps the reader is seen differently by the Mac compared to the PC, or something is intervening on the PC differently than the Mac. 

In your follow-up you seen to indicate your camera is a film camera.  If it is indeed a DSLR then is it an XTi, XSi or T1i?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2010 6:50 PM   in reply to ssprengel

The camera is digital XTi.  I will try your suggestions either much later tonight or tomorrow.  Thank you for your suggestions.

MikeH

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2010 7:05 PM   in reply to MikeH_Schaumburg_IL

When you experiment by importing directly from the camera, then make sure the USB-mode or Communication-mode or PC-mode or whatever it is called is set to whatever the alternative is to PTP.  In other words don't use PTP mode.

There also may be a software update you can try downloading from www.usa.canon.com to see if that helps with any of the problems.  Vista shouldn't need any drivers.

Try disabling the LR Detect Memory Card function in case it is getting in the way, somehow.

I always use a card-reader and always copy all the images to my hard-drive and then import using the Add Without Moving so I don't get into any problems from either camera communication or having to look at previews off the card, itself, which is slow.  If I want to do some sorting of images into different directories when it's in the reader, then I just use Windows Explorer and have the latest Canon Codec installed--which is also something you can find on usa.canon under the downloads for you camera, as long as your computer is 32-bit Windows, at least.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2010 7:06 AM   in reply to Justin_Philip

Justin_Philip wrote:

I recently upgraded to Lightroom 3 from version 2.6. Along with upgrading Lightroom I installed Photoshop CS5. I am on a Windows computer, 64bit, Windows Vista. I am now unable to import my CR2 files using lightroom. I am given the error of the files not being able to be imported because the file type cannot be read. I have tried CR2 files from my Canon 7D and my Canon T1i. Neither camera's files can be imported. I was able to import my Lightroom catalog from 2.6 into 3. Lightroom is able to read and do everything just fine with my old files. I am just not able to import anything new. I checked for updates and everything seems to be up to date. I don't know if it makes a difference but I still have Lightroom 2.6 still installed on my computer along with Lightroom 3. What do I need to do to be able to import my files? Thanks for your help.

Justin,

The fact that both camera's files are being ignored means it isn't specific to a type of file and LR has been supporting CR2's from the 7D for a while.  You mentioned that you installed CS5, where you able to import to LR3 before installing CS5, or did you do both installations concurrently?

If you copy the files onto the hard drive, use Bridge to access them, can you open them in ACR in CS5?  Just trying to isolate if the issue is more system related or Adobe side related.

Lastly, you don't mention it, but can you still import successfully into LR 2.6?

Jay S.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2010 7:16 PM   in reply to JayS In CT

I have tried doing the additional following things.

Went into LR3 Preferences, General Tab, I now checked the previously unchecked box for Import Options - "Show import dialog when a memory card is detected".

Connected the Canon XTi directly with a cable to the laptop computer.  Note that Canon's information said that Picture Transfer Protocol is automatically used when the XTi is directly connected to a computer, so I did not need to change anything in the camera's menu for communications choices (there is no communication menu in fact).  I selected one image and copied it to the laptop desktop.  Tried to import it into LR3 but got the error message "Could not copy a file to the requested location."  While in LR3, I changed the location of where the file would be copied into; tried 5 different folders, but kept getting the same error message.

With the card reader connected via USB port on the laptop, I copied one image file to the desktop, and then tried importing into LR3.  Got the error message "Could not copy a file to the requested location."

I am at a loss as what to do at this point.  The problem started happening after doing an upgrade to LR3.  As I mentioned before, I was successful in importing images from the Epson 7000 into LR2 and could see the images in LR2.  A week later I upgraded to LR3 and did the move of the Epson 7000 imported images to the correct folder (did the movement using LR3 method).  At this point, I cannot do any imports into LR3 or LR2, no matter what choices that I have tried. 

If I need to, I would uninstall LR2, uninstall LR3, and then install LR3.  Would that be the choice to do at this time?  If yes, what precautions should be done to ensure the catalogs are not damaged or erased, or will the catalogs still remain untouched during the uninstalls and reinstall?

MikeH

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2010 7:46 PM   in reply to MikeH_Schaumburg_IL

MikeH_Schaumburg_IL wrote:

I have tried doing the additional following things.

Went into LR3 Preferences, General Tab, I now checked the previously unchecked box for Import Options - "Show import dialog when a memory card is detected".

Connected the Canon XTi directly with a cable to the laptop computer.  Note that Canon's information said that Picture Transfer Protocol is automatically used when the XTi is directly connected to a computer, so I did not need to change anything in the camera's menu for communications choices (there is no communication menu in fact).  I selected one image and copied it to the laptop desktop.  Tried to import it into LR3 but got the error message "Could not copy a file to the requested location."  While in LR3, I changed the location of where the file would be copied into; tried 5 different folders, but kept getting the same error message.

With the card reader connected via USB port on the laptop, I copied one image file to the desktop, and then tried importing into LR3.  Got the error message "Could not copy a file to the requested location."

I am at a loss as what to do at this point.  The problem started happening after doing an upgrade to LR3.  As I mentioned before, I was successful in importing images from the Epson 7000 into LR2 and could see the images in LR2.  A week later I upgraded to LR3 and did the move of the Epson 7000 imported images to the correct folder (did the movement using LR3 method).  At this point, I cannot do any imports into LR3 or LR2, no matter what choices that I have tried. 

If I need to, I would uninstall LR2, uninstall LR3, and then install LR3.  Would that be the choice to do at this time?  If yes, what precautions should be done to ensure the catalogs are not damaged or erased, or will the catalogs still remain untouched during the uninstalls and reinstall?

MikeH

Mike,

I'm on a Mac, so some things are different, but I thought on a Windows machine, when an upgrade was done, LR replaced the prior version, so I'm just not sure if there is an issue there.  Did you try to bring any of these images into CS5 via ACR?  Does that work?  Let's narrow this down to a LR issue or something else perhaps.

Once you brought everything into LR 3 it created the new version of the catalog based on your old one.  Unless you've also got a LR2 version of the catalog still around, you can't go back to LR 2.  Does LR 3 import anything, e.g. a JPEG file or a DNG saved from CS5?  Judging by what you're saying I'm thinking it may not.

If you want to eliminate whether or not the issue is associated with the catalog that was created, open LR and create a new and different catalog (name it anything you want.. e.g. TestCatalog) and try importing into that one.  If that works, then something happened during the process of creating the new catalog from the old.

As far as trying the uninstall route, just make sure you have done backups of any catalogs you have and if you want to make doubly sure, make a copy of those.

Lastly, you should be able to import directly from the card reader unless there is some odd conflict there.

Jay S.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2010 7:50 PM   in reply to MikeH_Schaumburg_IL

Sounds like a security issue, where some folder is readonly or your user doesn't have access or maybe some other program is also doing something with the image at the same time you are.  I would turn off the card-detect feature in both LR2 and LR3 and any Adobe Downloader thing from Elements or whatever similar thing you might have on the computer.

When you are experimenting, and importing the image into LR from your computer's hard drive such as from your desktop, you shouldn't copy it anywhere, just import it in place w/o making a backup or DNG or anything and see if that works. 

You might also try importing a wallpaper JPG from somewhere on your computer and see if that acts any differently, to make sure if its your RAW file or your camera or something haywire with your computer.  Maybe you have already done this, I forget.

To verify the image on your desktop has not been corrupted, you can upload it to www.YouSendIt.com send the download link to your own e-mail and post the download link, here, for others to try.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points