Skip navigation
PotomacElf
Currently Being Moderated

Parsable formats only when trying to Place...

Aug 24, 2010 11:05 AM

Good day! My co-worker is having an issue with Photoshop (CS3) on her hardrive. Recurringly, she has had a problem when trying to "Place" an image from her desktop into a new Photoshop file she is working on. It is not allowing her to Place jpegs or others. It is only allowing what it calls "Parsable Objects" (pdf, psd and a few others). I have the same program on my computer and have NEVER had this issue. We fixed it once by re-installing the program, but now it is "stuck" again, and re-installing is too time consuming and inefficient. Any ideas what may be causing this and/or how to fix it more reasonably??? Thanks so much!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 24, 2010 11:30 AM   in reply to PotomacElf

Don't store stuff on your sesktop.... It's probably being indexed or locked by a system process and then some security stuuf kicks in whenver you try to access the file...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 24, 2010 12:27 PM   in reply to PotomacElf

It might help to list her operating system and system specifications.  Are your systems the same?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 24, 2010 3:52 PM   in reply to PotomacElf

Do the computers have the same amount of resources (memory, disk space, etc.)?

Well, you could carefully check the Edit - Preferences dialogs for differences.  Assuming the machines have the same amount of memory, you'll want to review the memory settings to ensure she's giving her Photoshop enough space in which to work.

Can you describe the exact sequence she's going through (e.g., dragging file from here to there, or using Edit - Place, etc.).

I'm happy to help, but I'm kind of grasping at generalities that could affect things because I have not seen this problem myself.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2010 11:14 PM   in reply to PotomacElf

Do your users have sufficient privileges? What other (graphics) software is installed on the systems? I still think you have a more generic problem there by another program or security mechanism taking a hold of your files.... That would also particulalrly apply to files stored on networks or possibly external drives.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2010 1:46 PM   in reply to PotomacElf

Photoshop doesn't have a "parsable" tag, label, checkbox, or anything else in the Place File dialog.

Are you sure you're in the correct application?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2010 2:41 PM   in reply to PotomacElf

Unless she's using a much older version of Photoshop (pre Smart Objects), I'm not sure how that could happen.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 30, 2010 4:22 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Maybe an inadvertent connection to a much older file format plug-in?

Has she done anything to make plug-ins from an older installation of Photoshop available in Photoshop CS3?  Is anything set in the Edit - Preferences - Plug-ins dialog for [ ] Additional Plug-Ins Folder?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2010 4:29 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Format plugins couldn't change the Place dialog (which is based on the OS file open dialog).

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2010 9:51 PM   in reply to PotomacElf

I am experiencing the same issue with trying to place a photo in photoshop as well. I too, have windows XP operating system. The options for saving the document are not ones in which you are typically able to use, and I am getting the "Parsable Error" as well....very strange.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2010 2:12 PM   in reply to PotomacElf

I'm having the exact same problem, which is why I came to this site to begin with. I'm using Windows XP Pro, I'm on my laptop, don't even know how to find out how much space I'm using before anyone asks. Please help us lol

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2010 2:21 PM   in reply to PotomacElf

You should just open a JPEG file and then drag the layer from the layers panel into any other open document.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2010 12:58 PM   in reply to tfkelly42-tHy2tE

Thank you and here's what I figured out. I had to turn the pics into pdf files

and it was easy as pie. Now what I can't seem to do is put the finished psd or

ppd or whatever the file is called (the finished product was saved as photoshop

ppd or something like that) onto a cd. fml. it took me all day to make this dang

collage and I'm on my laptop with no printer hook-up so I really need to get

this on a cd or to a store somehow to print it  thanks again!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2010 10:13 AM   in reply to raejordan

Ah ha! Thanks so much for your help/insight, Rae. I will try it out!

Thanks again!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2010 1:24 PM   in reply to raejordan

Ah ha! Thanks for your help/insight Rae!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points