Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Duplicate a composition layer in the timeline, at same time make new comp

Aug 24, 2010 1:59 PM

Hi,

I know that in the project panel I can do Control D and make a new comp. I know that in the layer panel I can do control D and make a new layer for a different comp, which keeps all the animations I have applied to that comp.

I also know that after I've duplicated that comp in the Project Panel I can Alt drag it to the other comp in the timeline and replace, or swap the comps.

What I want is to remove a step.

I have Comp A

In the timeline I want to duplicate this comp and at the same time create a new Comp B.

What I want is to be able to duplicate the layer in the timeline, and while doing so also create a new composition which would show up in my project panel. Basically I am trying to skip the extra steps of duplicating layer, going to project panel, duplicating comp, then Alt dragging to swap them.

Is there a shortcut for this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 24, 2010 7:44 PM   in reply to garek007

Precompose??? I think that's what you're asking.

The keyboard shortcut is Ctrl/Cmnd + Shift + C

Here's the help file page on precomposing layers.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2010 12:29 AM   in reply to garek007

Is there a shortcut for this?

No. Nor should there. Doesn't really make any sense to have it that way...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2010 7:45 AM   in reply to garek007

As a process, it would be very easy to accomplish with Scripting.  If you ask nicely in the Scripting Forum I'm sure you'll find some assistance.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2010 8:09 AM   in reply to garek007

Mylenium, why would you think there should be no shortcut for this?

You are forgetting, that pre-comps in themselves can contain any number of pre-comps inside pre-comps inside pre-comps.... You would have to find a way of taking care of those scenarios which is a major logic challenge and effort. that being so and to avoid potentially risky user operations that might ruin entire projects, it is much safer to not allow this. I would agree with Rick that a simple script that mimics the manual steps and tied to a function key is probably as good as it gets, but still, even there the underlying deeper problem still exists, so you have to work very controlled.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2011 5:03 AM   in reply to garek007

Apologize for resurrecting an old thread, but this was ranked highly on Google and I found a solid working solution at donationware site AEScripts:  http://aescripts.com/true-comp-duplicator/ in case anyone else finds this thread while searching.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points