Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Do I need Adobe Reader if I just downloaded Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.0?

Aug 26, 2010 3:05 PM

Hi! I just downloaded Acrobat Pro 9.0 and when I try to open a .pdf file in a website, I get the following message, "The Adobe Acrobat/Reader that is running cannot be used to view PDF files in a web browser.  Adobe Acrobat/Reader version 8 or 9 is required.  Please exit and try again."  When I click "okay", I get the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" page.

I do have Adobe Reader version 8.1.2 installed on my machine.  Does Acrobat Pro have a built-in reader and should I just un-install it?

Thanks a bunch!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 26, 2010 3:35 PM   in reply to deda1264

Acrobat Pro isn't needed to read PDF files. Plus eventually (30 days) you will have to pay for it.

Adobe doesn't recommend or support having both Reader and Acrobat installed on the same machine because it causes problems like to one you are experiencing.

So, if you only need to view and print PDF's, uninstall both then reinstall Adobe Reader. If you need to create PDF's, uninstall both then purchase Acrobat Pro (once you uninstall the trial, you won't be able to use it again if you reinstall it).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2010 7:08 AM   in reply to ~graffiti

wow...so I cant have 2 adobe products on one machine :-) Too much internal competition ;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2010 7:35 AM   in reply to deda1264

deda1264 wrote:

Okay, so if I'm understanding correctly...and let me be clear...we did purchase the Acrobat Pro product.  At this point, I WILL need to un-install the READER product and the Acrobat Pro product should do everything for me.  Right????

Thanks!!!

That is correct.

If you have Acrobat you don't need REader anyhow since Reader is only for viewing PDF's and Acrobat has that covered already.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2010 7:36 AM   in reply to Phyll3

Sure you can. Just not Acrobat and Reader. And as I said above, there is no need for both since Pro can do everything that Reader can plus.

Phyll3 wrote:

wow...so I cant have 2 adobe products on one machine :-) Too much internal competition ;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2010 8:00 AM   in reply to deda1264

You're welcome.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2010 8:48 AM   in reply to deda1264

isnt there normally also an option for "browse" ? Where you can browse to the location of your other adobe programme? if thats not there...then...I don't know..

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2010 9:52 AM   in reply to deda1264

Sorry. Got a little busy. I was going to mention reinstalling or repairing Acrobat after Reader was removed. Glad you figured it out.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2010 8:04 PM   in reply to deda1264

The problem with Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Reader is that both will try to associate themselves with the PDF extension, and you cannot have two associations with the same extension.  So it's either Acrobat or Reader.

When you uninstalled the Reader, the file association was removed. You therefore needed to reinstall Acrobat, or manually recreate the file association.  (It's actually not just PDF, but quite a bunch of them, so reinstalling was the easiest way.)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points