Skip navigation
fallenturtle
Currently Being Moderated

Advice on best way to structure flash movie

Aug 28, 2010 2:16 PM

Hi,

I'm a little mixed up on the best way to approach this movie I need to make. Basically it includes a loading screen, some narrative sections, and a few interspersed interactive sections (a couple of quizes and some forms to fill out).

I'm thinking because of the complexity I should seperate it into "scenes" but my understanding is scenes are bad, so I'm thinking I should be using movie clips for each major section?

I also want to have a controller for skipping forward and backwards,  so let me see if I have this correct.

Would I have one master timeline with all my actionscript and what not and my navigation controller, and would each major section of the animation be a movieclip that would be trigger by a frame in the master timeline?

I pretty much have the whole thing storyboarded out, I'm just wondering the best most efficient way to do it.

One other question: is it bad practice to have a raster visual asset with an alpha based mask on the main timeline that overlays on top of all the nested clips? For example I have a "frame" with is an png with a abstract white border with the middle masked out that remains static throughout the entire movie. Or am I better off applying it to each movieclip.

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 29, 2010 4:43 AM   in reply to fallenturtle

It will probably be easier to manage if you make each section a moiveclip by itself,  That way you aren't always manipulating the main timeline to fit in or adjust for changes in each section.  You can either spread them out along the timeline, using frame comands to navigate to the different sections, or you can have them all in one frame and control navigation by controlling the visibility of each section.

If the frame you mention is to be applied to each section, then having one on the main timeline to cover all would be easier to manage in most cases.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points