Skip navigation
MichelleS
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe CS 2.3 won't run, uninstall or reinstall

Aug 29, 2010 5:16 PM

Hello,

I have submitte a help ticket with the tech support through adobe, however their response lead me to an outdated (website no longer there) response. I was hoping that someone here might have a better response for me.

I just purchased a new computer with Windows 7. I did not realize that I had to deactivate the old computers CS programs before I in
stalled on new computer. After installing CS 2.3 on new computer and it wouldn't open for me, I realized my mistake.

I deactivated on old computer and uninstalled the entire program. I then uninstalled CS on new computer and then reinstalled.

Everytime I open Photoshop up it gives me this error:

Your Photoshop user name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid. the application can not continue and must now exit. The application then closes right away and doesn't let me do anything to it.

After chatting with a help person, he directed me to this article. http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/331/331799.html I attempted to do #1. The installer gave me this message:

The installer could not start because of the following reasons. Missing or invalid Personalization Information. Missing Resources Library.

I went then to uninstall and try everything again and it gives me the same message. So at this time I am unable to uninstall or try installing (to redo the serial number). I am very hesitant to try manually uninstalling because I am unsure if I am capable of finding everything that needs to be deleted. I continued to read the entire article (link above) and there was a comment in there about applications couldnot find the valid activation information (name, org. serial) because of the stall path was "C:/Program Files (x86)/Adobe" Due to the specal characters, in continued to install to that location even after I changed it to simple "C:/Program Files/ Adobe" It needs to be installed at just "C:/Adobe" and that should fix the problem. The issue with that is that I can no longer uninstall this program to see if installing under a different location will solve the issues with loading the applicat
ions. What do you suggest I try next? I have researched it some (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/314178) and I hope that I can install and get these programs working and that I haven't lost these critical programs.
Browser: Microsoft IE
Operating System: Windows 7

This was the response I received from the tech support:

Solution 1: Update your VCOM software and apply the appropriate patch.

If you use VCOM Fix-It Utilities 6 or VCOM SystemSuite 6, update your
software to the latest version before you download the appropriate patch
from VCOM.

For Fix-It Utilities, update to version 6.0.3.4 before you apply the
patch. Find the patch in article 1507 "How do I keep Registry Cleaner
from removing my Adobe registry settings?" on the VCOM website at:
http://v-com.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/avanquestusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp .p
hp?p_faqid=1507

For SystemSuite, update to version 6.0.3.6 before you apply the patch.
Find the patch in article 1506 "How do I keep Registry Cleaner from
removing my Adobe registry settings?" on the VCOM website at:
http://v-com.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/avanquestusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp .p
hp?p_faqid=1506

Also please follow all the steps which are mentioned in belwo document
:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/331/331741.html

It will open a document which says " Error: "...user name, organization,
or serial number is missing or invalid..." when you start Photoshop (CS2
on Windows) " contain all the steps to resolve your issue.

This should resolve your issue.

I went to the VCOM website and it is no longer there, therefore I cannot reference the article the tech support listed to make sure I understand what a 'registry cleaner' is and to make sure I don't ruin something on my new computer.

Can anyone give me some direction on what I should do? If I am supposed to do a 'registry cleaner' is there an article that I can reference so I don't mess anything up. I understand some stuff about computers, but registry cleaning seems to be out of my realm of understanding. Thanks for your help. Let me know if you need me to provide additional information.

Michelle

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 29, 2010 5:24 PM   in reply to MichelleS

Do you realise that Windows 7 doesn't support CS2?  There is an XP compatibility mode that works well though apparently, you may find running it in that fixes your other problems?  Dunno, but worth a go.

Also, if you were thinking about upgrading, when CS6 comes out you probably won't be able to upgrade from CS2, you'd have to buy a complete new license...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2010 6:31 PM   in reply to MichelleS

Some people seem to have been able to get it to run,my point was that it isn't supported, i.e. not guaranteed to.  The first version that does would be CS5.

If you did upgrade you can only upgrade to the latest version, the older versions aren't sold any longer once the new one comes out, although there is a very slight chance there might be a retailer out there with an older version for sale still.  Any ones on sale online for cheap will be pirated copies...

As to your problems, they should go away with a new version, and all you'd need from your old version will be the serial number.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2010 9:45 AM   in reply to MichelleS

In addition to what's already been pointed out you should know that CS2 is the earliest version eligible for upgrade pricing. If the current policy remains in effect, you'll need to pay full price whenever the next version is released.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2010 3:12 AM   in reply to MichelleS

Hi Michelle,

I had the same problem with my windows 7. I have Adobe CS2 and it has given me the same message as you had. Can you tell me how to run a registery cleaner. I am not a tech person and only can design, all my projects are on hold due to this. Please help.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2010 7:24 AM   in reply to SHOBA PAIREDDY

If you're not a "tech person" I highly suggest you stay away from the registry. One wrong move and your Windows installation is hosed.

CS2 is not supported under Win 7. You should upgrade to CS5.

You can save $30 with free shipping and no tax at Amazon http://amzn.to/9FrpGY or you can buy from any other authorized retailer.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 9:58 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

I'm having the smae problems as Michelle, so I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling in C:/ ...I hope that works! The other issue I have (for all you "upgrade" people) is that a newer version of Creative Suite is pretty expensive and my CS2.3 was working fine for me (when it functioned as it should). Not everyone has the cash to upgrade. A new computer was a stretch for me, let alone getting all my programs updated too.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 9:03 AM   in reply to SalvoJo

You get the same advice except you can't upgrade as you've waited too long.

You should look into Creative Cloud which is rather inexpensive way to get to CS6 and beyond.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 10:38 AM   in reply to SalvoJo

so the direct C:/Adobe installation works... hooray! Now for my continued use of CS2.3

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 10:40 AM   in reply to SalvoJo

Creative Cloud inexpensive? pshaw!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers