Expand my Community achievements bar.

WSDL Call stops working after saving/deploying form

Level 3

I have a form that makes a WSDL call to search for names in the EDCPrincipal db and present a list of users in a drop down box.  This way end-users can dynamically route to required individuals without hardcoding names/groups.  (Adobe, why don't you build in this functionality?)

Anyway, everything currently works but I'm required to make a minor asthetic change to a label.  When I save/deploy the form, this web service call stops working without any errors on the front or backend.  If I revert the previous version, it starts working again.  So it's clearly something local in the form itself.

I try to compare everything possible to figure out what is changing but everything appears to be identical.  Same Target Version 9.0.  No scripting changes.  For the life of me, I cannot identify what might be happening.  Has anybody seen a similar problem?

Designer ES2 SP1

Untitled-1.jpg

16 Replies

Former Community Member

Are you using Reader to view the form ....if so did you Reader Extend the form to allow a Web Service call?

paul

Level 3

Paul, thanks for your response.  I have Acrobat on my workstation so I don't need to extend it (yet) since I'm testing.

Since it worked fine from my workstation prior to deploying and again works after reverting it back, it seems like the problem is internal to the form.

Former Community Member

Can you validate that the web service is being called in LC. If you turn on Recording you should see a new entry in the Playback. This will at least tell us that the call is being generated.

Paul

Level 3

The process (LookUpName) is short lived so I can't record it, correct?  That said, I can review the SystemOut (websphere 7.0) and I always see the below errors that correspond to when I'm testing and I get this whether it is successful or not.  This tells me that the server is registering that the form is attempting to do something.

[8/31/10 14:27:16:469 CDT] 000000e2 TimerManagerF E   ASYN0069E: TimerManager default is being looked up without using resource reference.
[8/31/10 14:27:16:516 CDT] 000000e2 Serialization W   NMSV0903E: An error occurred while deserializing an object.

That said, my guess is that it is NOT actually making the full call to the process.  When things work normally (or even when I've seen this fail in the past when I've got syntax problems) I can see the little spinning circle and then it comes back as a null value.  That tells me it is trying to do something.  Currently I don't get the spinning circle.  As soon as I hit the 'Search' button then there is no circle and it immediately returns focus back to me.  That suggests it isn't even making the call.

Former Community Member

You can record a short lived process ......that is not an issue. The other thing to try is to copy the WSDL that is in the dataConnection properties and try it on a new form.

These are not solutions but merely steps in trying to figure out where the problem might be.

Paul

Level 3

Sorry, I was looking at the wrong subprocess.

I can see the recording on a success but when I deploy the updated form, there are no additional recordings.  So my intuition was correct that the call is NOT being made from the updated form.  As I mentioned, all I am doing is taking the existing form and correcting a label.

Former Community Member

How are you executing the web service ....are you using the button that was provided or are you doing it a different way.

Hit Ctrl_J and see if there are any errors in the javascript console.

Paul

Level 3

Ah, didn't know about ctrl-J.  Yes, there is an error:

Acrobat EScript Built-in Functions Version 9.0
Acrobat Annotations / Collaboration Built-in Functions Version 9.0
Acrobat Annotations / Collaboration Built-in Wizard Functions Version 9.0
Acrobat SOAP 9.0

event.target.hostContainer is undefined
110:1
currentStr is null
32:XFA:TDCR[0]:Page2[0]:Approvers_subform[0]:approvers[0]:btn_search[0]:click

Former Community Member

Are you changing the caption or are you changing the name of the object? Are you setting the wsdl through script?

Paul

Level 3

I'm changing a caption on a seemingly unrelated field.  I'm not making any changes to anything within the subform that is responsible for doing these lookups.

The WSDL is setup through a data connection.  All this is configured the same (as best as I can tell) before and after the change.  I'm simply modifying the existing form and correcting a caption.  DOA.

Former Community Member

Can you send me the file and indicate what changes you are making ......if you want to export the LCA I can load it on my system and test it as well.

You can send the files to LiveCycle8@gmail.com

Paul

Level 3

I just remembered that I AM getting an error on the Data Binding:

"The data connection does not match the cached data description.  Regenerate the data description using Connection Properties."
Code 20045

I have no idea what that means.  I've gone through the Connection Properties to re-establish it to no avail.

Former Community Member

It sounds like the wsdl has changed .....if you go into the Data View Taband right click on your Data Connection and choose Refresh Data View this shoudl cause a reread of the WSDL file and shoudl clear up that error. Short of that I woudl delete the data connection (leave the bindings when it asks you) and re-establish the connection.

Paul

Level 3

Well, that did the trick.

What is odd is that every time I modify the form, it loses the data connection(s) and I have to refresh the data connection after each save.  I've done it before but it didn't occur to me that I'd have to do it each and everytime.  Clearly something else is happening but I don't have time to troubleshoot the root cause.  This workaround is good enough for me ...at least for now.

Thanks Paul for your help.

Level 3

I am still having the problem.  Each and every time I make a change to the form, I get this error.  The annoying part is I don't get it immediately.  I'll make a change to any part of the form and then save and then the WSDL stops working.  In fact, I don't even have to make a I change ...I can simply open the form and hit save without doing anything at all.  Now, I don't get the error immediately ...yet the WSDL stops working immediately.  If I close the form and reopen, only then do I get the Warnning:

"The data connection does not match the cached data description.  Regenerate the data description using Connection Properties."

Take note that this error is attritubed to not only the WSDL but my standard XML data connection too.  Once I go through the bother of closing/reopening/refreshing (after each save), then I can get it working.  It is very tiresome and sometimes I miss it which causes frustration for users.

Please, any ideas?

Level 8

Hi Paul,

I think I am facing the same problem, see this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/730727?tstart=0

May I send you the PDF form to see if you can find out what is going on ?

In my case, the call to the Web Service (WSDL) will stop working if I have multiple connections to Web Services from the same PDF.

When I delete the Connections (keep the bindings) and re-create them, both web services will work.

After some time (making some desing changes, closing and openning the form), the call to the 2nd web service will stop working. But, no errors are thrown.

Appreciate your help.

Tarek.