Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Deleted Global Colors/[HUH?] error/Unused Brushes Keep Returning

Sep 2, 2010 11:06 AM

On Mac AI4 I inherited files, that have 1000s of duplicate brushes in the library. Any copying is slow and pasting between documents fills the swatches palette with 1000s of Deleted Global Colors and brushes. The files are excessively large, slow and any copying is really slow. Can't load CS5 trial here at work(to try out that new cleanup command). This problem has been on the forums before (MAC/PC/CS3/CS4), but has not been solved. I started this as a new thread, as this problem is spreading out of control on other files.

Picture 1.pngPicture 2.png

Here is what I have tried so far that has not worked (as the files are slow/crashing and the brushes keep coming back)

1. Recovered the file using 'Content Recovery Mode = 1". Edited this in simpletext to remove all code that has "Deleted global colors" & the "Begin PluginObject: Object". There was lots of junk to remove and I got everything in between the open & close tags.
  2. Saved files as AI3
  3. Copied & Pasted all elements into a new document
  4. Removed all unused Brushes, Swatches, Graphic Styles
  5. Deleted all layers/objects & did a save as, and the file is still 6mb.

The "deleted global colors"(see images below) problem has gotten better since cleaning up the code. The problem must lie in in the non-standard characters of the code, as I used search to flush out all items with "Deleted global" and "BeginPlugInObject" between start and ends tags. I also am getting the HUH error(see images below) when saving.

Huh Error.jpg

HELLp

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 2, 2010 12:13 PM   in reply to Mike Gondek

First do a save as using a different name you canalways change it back.

then close the document  open the newly named document copy and do another save as close and open the document and do another save as.

Now close it again create a new blank document to the dimensions of the copied document. then place the last save as document in the empty document. Now try to delete the brushes then the coor swatches.

Do a save as three times again then close and see if it is still there.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2010 7:53 AM   in reply to Mike Gondek

Hi Mike

I have been experiencing the exact same problem, you are describing above ( Deleted Global Colors/[HUH?] ). I feel your pain!

We have 4 imacs running in our studio and first encountered this issue about a year ago in CS3, we upgraed to CS4 in the vain hope it would go away, alas it stayed with us, I have now upgraded to CS5 and the probelem still exists. I have raised the issue with Adobe and they made me run through some exercises. Such as using the new action in AI "Delete unused panel items". This has made no difference and in fact we had been removing the panel items manually anyway.Once the problem exists within the file it gets transferred by copying and pasting between files. That's if you have nerves of steel, to let you wait the absolute age while trying to copy even just small vectors or even type! Then the pasting into the new document takes an age. Adobes temporary solution is a "work around" "Don't copy and paste!" Easy to say harder to put into practice!

I have sent an infected file to Adobe to test and they said they have about 20 such on going cases they are working on.

If you hear anything or find any solutions I would love to know. And in the mean time remember not to copy and paste!

Many Thanks

Mat

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2010 3:11 AM   in reply to Mike Gondek

Hi Mike

Wow this is great news. I must havemissed that previous posting.

It sounds a little bit complicated for someone not like me who is not that techie, we will have a go though for sure, I will get our Mac tech support guy to come in and help sort it for me.

Perhaps before I try it, if you would be kind enough to see if it does actually work on one of my files.

I have uploaded a file for you to our ftp if that's ok, I really appreciate your help very much.

FTP SERVER:

Host: ftp.wildandwolf.com

Username: gondek

Password: wolf2009

Kind regards

Mat

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2010 9:14 AM   in reply to Mike Gondek

Adobe's Teri Pettit posted the solution here:

http://adobe.groupbrowser.com/t177412.html

on March 19, 2009.

The link won't open on my computer, so I don't know if that site is still active or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2010 2:27 PM   in reply to couscouskid

Mike If I delete the everthing between those two lines, there is not much left of my file after opening.

How far down in textwrangler should i dig? There are approx 14 of the %A15_End_NonPrinting lines in my file. Which one is causing the problem. Thousands of bogus brushes and symbols keep regenerating as well as deleted global colour

These damn files are really starting to be viruslike, I hope there is a real fix soon!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2010 9:16 AM   in reply to Mike Gondek

Mike,

I finally got the files cleaned up. Alot of experimental selections of in Text Wrangler paid off ...thanks!

I did notice quite a few references in the code to "ARTPRO" (which I removed)....Hmmmm could it be a careless use of plugins from a production shop?

thx

paul

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2011 9:43 AM   in reply to Mike Gondek

Thanks to Mike for forwarding me to this thread. Unfortunately the prescribed cure hasn't worked for my nearly identical problem...

None of the infected files have any occurence of "%AI5_Begin_NonPrinting" or "%AI5_End_NonPrinting" or "ARTPRO" etc. They are client files, so I'd be unable to share them... any ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2011 1:38 PM   in reply to roxychaney

After a couple of weeks there are still some painful anomalies in the files. Some text changing to black instead of K/O etc. Not sure if this is a result of removing critical data in textwrangler? Still scary moving forward and trying to keep infected files separate from finals. Hope we don’t have egg on our face at the printers!!!! Still no word as to a cause anyone???

|
    Mark as:
  • woon kuong chin
    7 posts
    Feb 21, 2011
    Feb 21, 2011 3:40 AM   in reply to Mike Gondek

This may help, i've try one of the infected file.

- open the infected file, select all

- create new document

- click the arrange documents on the infected document, choose 2-up

- drag over the selected all file to the new document, save it.

- close all document

- open the new saved file. check brushes, it should back to normal.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2011 12:08 PM   in reply to Mike Gondek

Looks like there's still no real solution for this and we're at CS5 now. The real problem is when you copy and paste, all these deleted global colors get added to the swatches. Does anyone have a solution for the colors not being added at all? Cleaning up code is like a medicine for after you're already sick. We need a vaccine so this infection doesn't happen at all! Help us, Adobe! You're our only help!

|
    Mark as:
  • woon kuong chin
    7 posts
    Feb 21, 2011
    Apr 17, 2011 7:03 PM   in reply to cherryberryhell

Hi,

hope my attached picture explain well.

1) open infected file, you can see all the brushes swatches and symbols duplicated.

Screen shot 2011-04-18 at 9.14.47 AM.png

2) Create New document.

3) click the arrange documents choose 2 up.

Screen shot 2011-04-18 at 9.15.16 AM.png

4) with the side by side documents, click the infected document. Then, select all. Drag the selected artworks Over to New document. As attached.

Screen shot 2011-04-18 at 9.16.39 AM.png

5) Check the brushes Swatches Symbols at the new document. The duplicated items has gone. Oh Yeah!

Now, save the new document. DELETE the infected file. Or you want to keep it.

Then, delete unwanted colors, then do the copy and paste in your new saved document. Check color swatches.

Is my solution fix your file?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2011 11:52 AM   in reply to woon kuong chin

yes, thank you! i would also add unchecking the "Embed ICC Profiles" box in the Illustration Options window when you save. this seems to keep those deleted global colors from coming back.

|
    Mark as:
  • woon kuong chin
    7 posts
    Feb 21, 2011
    Apr 27, 2011 7:44 PM   in reply to Mike Gondek

Hi,

Just to clarify, the someone in post 16 was suggesting Drag Over. Not copy and paste. ( must be last paragraph misleading. i should write: try do a copy and paste and see any unusual time-consuming take, because infected file will slow and hang a while when you copy paste. )

I will update the attachment to make the message clear. Thank you.

p/s: I'm not familiar with the code editing.

image attached here:

Screen+shot+2011-04-18+at+9-1.16.39+AM.png

|
    Mark as:
  • woon kuong chin
    7 posts
    Feb 21, 2011
    Apr 27, 2011 7:11 PM   in reply to cherryberryhell

Dear Cherryberryhell,

so happy to heard that.

and thanks for your suggestion of unchecking the "Embed ICC Profiles" box.

So, would you like to try the Code Editing?

Seems like is a bugs inside CSAI series.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2011 7:28 PM   in reply to woon kuong chin

i tried the code editing but it's waaaaaaaay too time-consuming.

what's CSAI?

|
    Mark as:
  • woon kuong chin
    7 posts
    Feb 21, 2011
    Apr 27, 2011 7:33 PM   in reply to cherryberryhell

Is that time consuming?

i thought is kind of disk repairing operation?

CS = creative suite

AI = adobe illustrator

sorry, here in asia we use that name.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2011 7:40 PM   in reply to woon kuong chin

oh duh, i should have known about CSAI ...

i enabled content recovery mode and there are millions of lines to delete -- that's the time-consuming part. is there another way?

|
    Mark as:
  • woon kuong chin
    7 posts
    Feb 21, 2011
    Apr 27, 2011 7:56 PM   in reply to cherryberryhell

So far I'm using the drag over steps and solved those infected files, after all the files clean and clear. other users no problem to open it.

code editing should be the current solution as advised by Mike Gondek.

but for my case it just the file infected, not the software.

if some of your file included huge and complicated designs and drag over steps make your computer crazy then code editing is the way.

Adobe support team should consider Mike Gondek suggestion.

|
    Mark as:
  • woon kuong chin
    7 posts
    Feb 21, 2011
    Apr 27, 2011 8:06 PM   in reply to woon kuong chin

why can't I edit the post 16?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2011 1:11 AM   in reply to woon kuong chin

Sorry if I am going over old ground here, but the soloution I have been using as a work around for cleaning out infected files is this.

I run the pre set action in illustrator "delete unused Pallete items" I then Export the file as an adobe illustrator.eps file.

I then open a new illustrtor file and place the exported eps into this new file. I then embed the eps. Then when I save the file it is error free.

I will however look into trying the trick of unchecking the "Embed ICC Profiles" box in the Illustration Options window when I save.

Word of warning try and keep track of what old files contain the "huh" as if you copy any of these into clean files it will all start over again.

I hope that helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2011 6:58 AM   in reply to Mike Gondek

Yes , my workaround is probably only fully useful when the files you are working on dont involve complex things like gradients etc.

I can't say for sure if the files I generate through using the method I described (post 26) are 100% free of the [HUH] error but they let me copy and paste as normal and they save in a normal time.

Quite often I have to create new versions of old artwoks that are infecected with the [HUH] and this is the method I employ now each time, and yes sometimes I do have to re build parts of the artworks, but it is quicker than starting from scratch.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2011 5:20 PM   in reply to Mike Gondek

re: that png with what looks like "tilapia fillets" heading looks like art. you should have a [HUH] exhibit!

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 7:57 AM   in reply to Mike Gondek

Best, easiest and most elegant way to get rid of that stuff without loosing functionality is:

- open the infected file in illustrator

- menu: file -> save a copy -> choose .pdf

- within the option dialog box make sure you DESELECT(!) the **Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities** check box ! ! !

- close all documents

- open the freshly saved .pdf in illustrator

- save it as an illustrator (.ai) file again!

Done! All panels (swatches, symbols, graphic-styles) should be empty now.

To get back only the colors used within you objects just

- select all (ctrl + A)

- go to the swatches panel

- click on the little folder icon on the lower end of the panel (New Color Group button ) and

- choose **from selected artwork** + **create global**

That*s it!

Enjoy.

Nils Barner, ACI / ACE

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 8:36 AM   in reply to nmbdesign

The above PDF method flattens the layers, which you may not want to happen.

The drag to a new document is working fine for us.

thx

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2012 5:46 AM   in reply to Mike Gondek

This issue is solved now!

In September 2012 in corporation with Nils M. Barner (nmbdesign, Germany) and Lanter Design AG (Swiss), the amazing Adobe Illustrator engineers (special thanks to Varun!!) were able to finally fix this issue for ever! This basically is Illustrator Update Illustrator 16.0.1 (and just a part of 16.1.0 - for Creative Cloud user only!)

Please check the following *how to* tech note the engineers posted for you:

http://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/copy-paste-artwork-slow-or.html

This is a brand new update of an already existing solution killing all the errors which might have remained in the structure of your *infected* files, so follow the steps and cleanup all of them.

Personal advice / tips 'n tricks:

This is a way to clean your files structures completely without any changes to your artwork at all. There will be no flattening, no additional clipping mask creation nor any other change to your stuff. It*s a brilliant solution to solve the HUH-issue for ever, so go a head and give it a try! The only reason why this correction is not set to auto-correct each file by default is the change of structure elements within the file. Engineers may not be allowed to change the structures of your files automatically but they added a script for you making it easyier to activate/deactivate auto-correction - you will love it ;-)

Here*s a 10 step work flow tip from Lanter Design who just have fixed hundreds of files:

1. open your document in Ai CS6 (after having set Illustrator to auto correction)
    2. unlock all(!) layers/elements and make sure all of them are visible
    3. copy the whole content (may took a while but it*s worst the price ;-)
    4. create a new document with same size than the original one
    5. check if *copy/paste remembers layers* is activated within the fly-out-menu in the Layers Panel (once activated it will remain for ever)
    6. delete all unused swatches in the Swatches Panel
    7. *Paste in Front* for inserting with same position (Ctrl + F)
    8. just to be sure check Swatches, Brushes, Graphic Styles and Symbols Panel
    9. finally save your new document
    10. done!

Enjoy

Nils

PS. Please feel free to post your personal feedback, compliments and worship for the engineers for this solution:

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2012 5:47 AM   in reply to nmbdesign

In Step 3.  we found that copying/pasting was the culprit.

We selected all then dragged contents to new document to ensure clean pallettes.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2012 6:21 AM   in reply to nmbdesign

So I am confused.... in Post 16 from kuongchin6600 on April 2011 is the procedure that our studio adapted to clean our files (as the code editing method was unreliable and time consuming), now a year and a half later some engineers are getting credit? Hmmmm....Kudos to chin6600

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2012 6:53 AM   in reply to paul tech

Hi Paul,

this method only works with less corrupt files and does not solve the structure damage completely because after dragging/dropping still corrupt code remains in the new file. So if this fits you well, just go ahead but if you belong to that part of users for whom none of the work flows worked out or if you really want to be sure to get rid of any corrupt part in your files structures you should take advantage of the described new possibility above.

regards, Nils

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2012 7:16 AM   in reply to nmbdesign

Thanks Nil,

Less corrupt files? Like a little bit pregnant? I can assure you we were on our knees at one point. Sorry Nils, I we just have a few other issues with illustrator in the studio right now, so I do appreciate your efforts. As I said...The 10 steps have been working great for us. And a $35,000 dollar investment to upgrade to AiCS6 to fix a bug is not a realistic approach.

Thanks again to all who have contributed to what may have been a game ender for some of our clients and suppliers affected.

cheers paul

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2012 7:34 AM   in reply to paul tech

If corrupt files are the same than pregnancy to you, you should stop watching films like "Alien" ;-)

I myself spotted 4 different kinds of corruptness with more or less damaged file structures...

BTW you*ll just need 1 machine to convert and save as a previous version file... even 30 day trial would do the job... if so, 12 machines will do for a whole year *lol*. It also works with CS5 or earlier, but as described in the tech note less confortable...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2012 8:34 AM   in reply to Mike Gondek

Hey Mike, see kuongchin6600's post in #13 and #16.

I've been using this method for the last 2 years and it works everytime with no hassles.

I don't have CS6 yet so I don't have the two up function but that doesn't matter much.

1. Open infected doc

2. Select all

3. Open new doc

4. DRAG (do not copy), all elements from infected doc to new doc.

5. Select all unused colours and delete

6. Save new file

It's that simple. I posted this solution over a year ago but can't find it so thought it was worth repeating.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points