Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Player 10.1 is jerky and freezes?

Sep 3, 2010 12:52 AM

I updated to flash player 10.1 today and now i can't view anything it is extremely jerky and then freezes.  After this it will start again and repeat the same process over and over.

I've tried unistalling it and reinstalling it but i get the same thing happening everytime was wondering if anyone had any solutions to this problem?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 3, 2010 3:47 PM   in reply to Angelus5551

Hi, Please read this: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/657743   

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2010 11:18 AM   in reply to Angelus5551

Hi, thanks for the Info. Using IE, go to Tools, Manage add ons and look in Toolbars & Extensions for Shockwave Flash Object and make sure it is Enabled.

When you went on the test site, did you see the animation in addition to seeing the vs 10.1.82.76?

If you did then that means that Flash Player is Installed correctly and working.

What you might try is turning off the hardware acceleration feature which is turned on by default in vs 10.1.

You can go back to that test site and right click on the Flash logo, Settings and Display Settings and UN check the H.A.

See if that helps.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2010 2:49 PM   in reply to eidnolb

Hi,

I have a similar problem with flash 10.1

The video goes jerky and freezes, audio is ok but the video reverts to a series of frozen images after about 20 seconds viewing.

I'm using Windows vista 32bit with vs 10,1,72,86 - I've had no problems with previous versions

problem is the same on IE8, Fire fox & google chrome

After reading various threads I have;

I've checked the test site and saw an animation

I've turned off hardware acceleration

I've checked that Flash is enabled in the web browsers

I've checked my video card (NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS) driver is up to date

This has made no difference to the problem

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2010 4:13 PM   in reply to bils42

Hi, Since you have done all that you have and are still having problems, I need to ask what video site? Youtube, one of the Facebook games?

Since Flash Player is a browser plugin, perhaps a plugin, or ActiveX Control from another program is conflicting. Also depending on what site you are having an issue on, you could check the system requirements. There are sites that require the Shockwave Player also.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2010 2:49 AM   in reply to eidnolb

Thanks eidnolb,

I'm getting problems viewing videos at http://mpora.com/

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2010 12:00 PM   in reply to bils42

Hi, I went to that site and viewed the "Video of the Day" and had no problem other than the commercial (Coors) did not have sound. I have XP/SP3 IE6, FP 10.1.82.76 on the desktop. I also have a laptop with IE8,  and had no problem there. The Video played fine, no issues and the audio was great:-) I didn't check the system requirements since the site worked ok. I do not have Shockwave Player on either PC, so I would say that is not a requirement.

Since you are having the same problem with all browsers, it would indicate the same add on is conflicting. The first thing I always check is the Anti-Virus programs and their add ons in the browsers. Let me know which one you use. Also before Installing your current one, did you have a clean Uninstall of the previous one or ones?

Do you use the Google Toolbar? Most Toolbars will Install add ons.

Since you have Chrome, do you use adthwart? Adblock or adblock plus on FF? Any pop up blocker software on IE?

Maybe we can find out what the problem may be by taking a look at some of the above.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2010 10:31 AM   in reply to Angelus5551

Hi A, ok that's good on the animation. However, did you turn off the hardware acceleration that I suggested? Troubleshooting is about eliminating various things that are known to conflict. If you turn the H.A. off, for now, don't turn it back on.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2010 1:15 PM   in reply to Angelus5551

Hi, You can go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash  Open Flash and post back all of the files listed. That way we can make sure your Flash files are correct along with the Shockwave Flash Object you have already checked.

What Anti-Virus do you have? Any Firewall other than Windows Firewall? Is a Firewall included with your Anti-Virus?

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2010 11:05 PM   in reply to Angelus5551

I'm having the same problem but I'd like to add that when I move my mouse the frozen picture starts moving again.  If I keep moving my mouse all the time the pauses are minimal if at all.  It's just a drag constantly moving the mouse to keep the picture going.  No problem with the audio, it keeps going uninterupted.

Trying to stream video at CBS.com...

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

Processor:
    AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 2.10 Ghz
    2.00 GB of RAM

Adapter Description RADEON 7000 / RADEON VE Family (Microsoft Corporation)
    Adapter RAM 64.00 MB (67,108,864 bytes)
    Resolution 1280 x 1024 x 60 hertz

IE 8 Ver: 8.0.6001.18702  32bit...
    No Tool Bars....

Flash Player from version check:

Version: WIN 10,1,82,76
    ** Hardware Acceleration:  OFF

Shockwave Flash Object
    Version: 10.1.82.76
    Enabled 9/6/2010 8:31 PM

Antivirus: McAfee Internet Security 10.5.195

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2010 9:39 AM   in reply to Angelus5551

Hi Ange, Those Flash files are all corrrect and as you stated before the Shockwave Flash Object was Enabled.

Look in your add ons and Disable AVG SafeSearch, AVG Security Toolbar and AVG Security Toolbar BHO. Also if you have the LinkScanner, Disable it also. To Disable the LinkScanner, open AVG from the system tray and double click on the LinkScanner and uncheck those two options and then SAVE the changes.

See if that helps. The above has caused conflicts with other users that I have worked with.

Let me know. I'm using FF right now and having a problem with the fonts! No problem on the Flash forum with IE.

Thanks

eidnolb    See what I mean, it changes and won't keep the settings. Just so you know that problems are everywhere, LOL

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2010 10:34 AM   in reply to Angelus5551

Hi, I think on my FF, it is a JavaScript issue and I don't have time to deal with it. I just switch over to IE.

That website that you listed, I did a search on it. In my opinion that is a great place to pick up viruses, spyware, trojans, and all kinds of infections. That is why I always search whatever links that users post here on the Forum. It is never worth the risk to me to click on any link.

My advice is that you Install a very good Anti-Virus/Spyware program that has Rootkit protection and run several full scans.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2010 12:18 PM   in reply to eidnolb

Thanks

I'm using Norton 360 version 4.2.0.12 It's been on the machine since i had windows reinstalled a earlier in the year. The settings are all pretty much default

I'm not using any tool bars or other addons in any of the browsers

Cheers Bils

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2010 12:57 PM   in reply to Angelus5551

Hi Ange, The latest Flash Player update had several Security fixes as far as I could tell. I think this was related to the previous update which was on 6/10/10.

Avast has a free edition that is very good for home users. They have other editions also, go to www.avast.com and take a look.

There are web sites that are known for malware, etc. and even if you manage to clean your system, if you use the same sites that contaminated your system, you'll just pick them up again.

You only want to use one Anti-Virus. You can use more than one Anti-Spyware program, just make sure they are compatible.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2010 7:18 PM   in reply to bils42

Hi bils42, Ok, we can rule Toolbars and their add ons out. You have no add ons in any of the browsers? If that is true, then you have no programs Installed on your system:-) They all InstallI  add ons, BHO's, ActiveX Controls, Helpers and what not into the browsers. I know of no Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware program other than Microsoft Security Essentials that do not Install their add ons, etc into the browsers. Avast does not Install add ons per se into the browsers, but they have several modules than monitor the browsers and affect it.

Please clarify.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2010 9:35 AM   in reply to Angelus5551

We have been in a good discussion of spyware, add-ons, antivirus but what about this pausing, jerky and freezing picture when the sound continues just fine?  Why does the picture start moving again when I move my mouse?  Please see my post above for my system details.  It's not drivers, they are up to date. I have a brand new good antivirus security sweet and McAfee advertises they have made it faster and better.

I just tested my speeds to the Internet and I am getting over 5 mb/s down and nearly 2 mb/s up.  Of course that is this morning, it wasn't that way last night.  The picture is freezing even worse then it was last night.  I can't find anything else on my computer that would explain the behavior.  I'm trying to watch flashpoint on cbs.com.

Thanks pixsd

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2010 12:34 PM   in reply to pixsd

Hi pixsd, I have read your specs above and your post below. The reason we have been discussing spyware, addons and

Anti-Virus programs is because they affect the browser!! The browser has the (for IE) Shockwave Flash Object, which is the ActiveX Control for Flash Player Installed. It works with the Flash files that are Installed into the Flash folder and all add ons can conflict with it, the browser itself and other add ons. Any thing "added" to the browser affects how that browser works, either in a negative way or a positive way.

Since I use IE6 on my work computer, when I click on manage add ons, here is the message that is there:

"Add ons are programs that extend the capabilities of your Web browser. Some add on can interfere with the operation of

your browser. You can disable, enable or update add-ons. Disabling an add-on might prevent some Web pages from working."

Now I realize IE7 or IE8 may not have that message, but nevertheless it is still true. Because Flash Player is a browser plugin, it is much more sensitive to add ons, since Flash content, websites with videos, etc works thru the browser.

I can't stress this enough and anyone helping on this Flash Forum must come to the same conclusion. Maybe you ask well how do these add ons "interfere with the operation of your browser" (from above); exactly what you and many others are experiencing. I'm not a programmer nor do I design applications so I don't know the hows, but I see the affects.

In your case you have done what is the first thing when sites or videos are causing the issues you are having and that is turning off the H.A. and making sure your drivers are up to date. Evidently that is not the cause or else you would not be still having problems. So it is something else. What I would suggest you try is Disabling every McAfee add on in your browser first. McAfee & Norton and AVG have many adds that do conflict and if I had time, I'd post every thread about them that I have worked on. Does McAfee moniter your browser and have a component to keep you "safe?" Who decides whether a website is "safe", you or the Anti-Virus? Now regarding cbs.com, I went to the site and had no problem viewing the videos. I didn't see "Flashpoint" and since I'm not familiar with the site it may be I didn't know what to look for. Now also, I have H.A. turned ON and it worked fine with IE6:-) I know, IE6 is full of holes, etc but I have security(no add ons)

Anyway, take a look at your AV add ons and any components they use. Also the AV you had before McAfee, did you have a clean Uninstall?

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2010 10:04 PM   in reply to eidnolb

Thank you for the detailed explanation.  I did as you suggested and went into the manage add-ons. I disabled the McAfee add-ons:

McAfee Virtual Technician

McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar

McAfee Phishing Filter

scriptproxy

McAfee SiteAdvisor BHO

And I went to cbs.com and watched the episode of FlashPoint that I had the problem with.  It wasn't perfect but the picture kept up for the most part.  I'm surprised that the McAfee made that big of a difference.  With disabling the add-ons, have I disabled my protection? Perhaps that's a question for the McAfee forum but if anyone has an answer, I'm all eyes for reading...

Thanks again for the great explanation.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2010 9:18 AM   in reply to pixsd

Hi pixsd, Well, I'm glad you have had some improvement by disabling those McAfee add ons. I also appreciate that the explanation that I posted was helpful. Adobe Flash Player takes a lot of blame for many things, and I'm not saying that there isn't always room for improvement but understanding how Flash Player works is helpful.

I don't know if you ever read over the previous Troubleshooting Guide from Adobe, but it wasn't very helpful in my opinion. And I must say it wasn't in Adobe's eyes either, because it has been Revised and I am of the opinion it is one of the best I have seen. Many of the things that I explained in my post to you are now included and is so very helpful. Instructions, detailed as well as screenshots. So that shows me that they indeed monitor the Flash Forum and have made very useful improvements for the users of Flash Player.

On disabling the add ons of McAfee, no you have not disabled the main program. You can take a look at your Task Manager and should see the main process running. Finding an Anti-Virus program that doesn't load your browser with add ons is difficult since most are the "suites" that almost take control of your computer. Security is needed, but not to the extent that the browser or computer can't function with Flash Player Installed and preventing FP from working properly.

Microsoft Security Essentials(MSE) is the only Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware program that does not add one thing into your browser. Avast is good also and they do not, but they have modules that do monitor the browser, email, etc.

If that site isn't working up to par, there could be another add on that could be the issue. Skype, RealPlayer, Quicktime add ons are known to conflict. Just take a look and if you see anything you think might be an issue, disable it and see if that helps. You can always Enable it again so it's not like you are Deleting it.

I also read somewhere that some of the AV's browser add ons conflict with the IE8 browser built in security but don't remember where, probably on MS.

Thanks for posting the McAfee add ons you disabled. Sometimes no matter how many folders I have with all of the Anti-Virus program info listed, without actually having it Installed one never knows all of them, so I appreciate that info.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2010 1:14 PM   in reply to bils42

I have an Apple Mac laptop (a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB of memory (1067 MHz DDR3)) and have a similar issue with Flash 10.1 - ie. it's jerky and freezes... BUT only when trying to play a live stream (eg. of formula one motor racing). When one goes back and watches say the recorded highlights of the motor racing, the movie clip plays fine, ie. without any issues.

Therefore, the issue I'm experiencing with Flash 10.1 seems only to affect live streaming? The audio (ie. commentary) is fine but the picture is jerky and occasionally freezes (as already described by other contributors). This issue affects both Firefox and Safari browsers - the two browsers used on my machine... Any suggestions?

The Apple laptop is new (couple of weeks old), so it is quite disappointing to be experiencing this sort of issue - doh!

Thanks in advance.

^o^

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2010 1:39 PM   in reply to bobdaspider

Hi bob... The first thing to do would be to turn off the hardware acceleration and see if that helps.

What you might try is turning off the hardware acceleration feature which is turned on by default in vs 10.1.

You can go back to that test site and right click on the Flash logo, Settings and Display Settings and UN check the H.A.

Test site: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ 

Then start a new thread and be sure to use Mac as part of your subject line. This will identify your OS. It will also bring up the other threads that involve Mac threads that are listed on the "More like this"

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2010 1:58 PM   in reply to eidnolb

eidnolb - thanks for the reply.

What I forgot to mention was that I am unable to change any of the existing Flash 10 settings - including the Enable Hardware Acceleration option - which is defaulted to being switched on - ie. box ticked. I have tried to disable this (ie. on a Mac: control -click) but none of the options work when displaying the Flash settings on one's machine? Bizarre cos it is the latest version of Flash 10.1, downloaded from the Adobe site today.

Note, I also went back and re-installed Flash 9 - which as a consequence, corrected the live streaming of the motor racing, ie. the picture was fine - with no jerky movements or pauses... Unfortunately, I use my laptop to listen to a particular (and very popular) internet radio station - which will only work with Flash 10 installed - doh! I'm therefore damned if I do and damned if I don't!

Any help greatfully accepted.

^o^

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2010 2:18 PM   in reply to bobdaspider

Hi, Bob, Well, perhaps there is a different issue and that is why I think your own thread would be better.

You don't have to include all of what you have posted here, just pertinent info.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2010 2:31 PM   in reply to bobdaspider

eidnolb - have now used the link displayed in your reply and followed your directions, and have now successfully disabled the hardware acceleration option. However, I won't know if this resolves the issue until tomorrow - ie. when the live stream of the formula one motor racing is aired again but will definitely report back the results etc. So thanks in advance and will tomorrow also create a new post for Mac users as suggested by yourself.

Regards

^o^

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2010 2:40 PM   in reply to bobdaspider

Hi Bob, thanks. Well, I hope that solves the problem for you. I know the H.A. was included from the Macs but some users are unable to use it. From what I have read it is only certain editions of Mac/iMac to be able. Needless to say, many Mac users are not pleased.

Thanks for posting back.

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2010 4:14 AM   in reply to eidnolb

eidnolb - as suggested, have now created a post re this issue but specifically marked for Apple Mac users etc.

Thanks again

^o^

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points