Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I create a cover for my epub book?

Sep 6, 2010 7:27 AM

I am new at this and would like to figure out on my own so I can create more ebooks from my print books.  I created the document in indesign cs5 then exported to epub.  when creating I followed Terry White and used master B for the cover image with two blank pages after it then used master A for the flowing text.. when I export doc to epub, I do not  have a cover for the book.  When I look at it in epub or on an ipod the first page that comes up on the screen is the cover image along with the next page "The Arrival" the title page.  I tried  a page break to separate them and that did not work. I'm not even sure if this is the reason I am not getting a cover image.

I do know someone said about creating the cover in the itunes store, but then will that transfer to all epub reading devices?  I don't think so.  I would like to set it up so the cover image shows up in everyone's library instead of that stinky generic cover.  Please be aware it took me quite some time to figure out how to unzip a file and zip it back up in epub.  I know pretty basic stuff, but I'm not your best computer wizard here.  I'm saying this so if you help me can you be very thorough.  I did put the doc through epub check for the heck of it and got a couple errors, but not worried about that at this time.  They were minor and I will address those after I figure out how to get a cover image.

If someone needs to see the file, I would be more than happy to attach it, but if I do attach it - is it out there for everyone to see?  And what files should I attach?

Thanks anyone who can help. Lisa

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 6, 2010 3:00 PM   in reply to web four

I'll take a look for you. I sent you a PM with my email address.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2010 4:40 PM   in reply to web four

Shucks

Happy to help, as there is little to no information out there, it makes it tough.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2011 1:49 PM   in reply to marcusstringer

Can you post the instructions for all to see?  I'm trying to do the same. TIA

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2011 1:45 PM   in reply to sonofmrsnak

sonofmrsnak wrote:

Can you post the instructions for all to see?  I'm trying to do the same. TIA

sonofmrsnak. Sorry for the lack of reply...Life go in the way of these forums... did you sort out you problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2011 2:32 PM   in reply to marcusstringer

Thanks much Marcus, I did figure it out by using the handy Sigil program to do my final cleanup and edits after the Indesign export. Invaluable program.

My big problem now is Apple not responding to my publisher application. They really dropped the ball on support for the iBook program.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2011 2:37 PM   in reply to sonofmrsnak

sonofmrsnak wrote:

Thanks much Marcus, I did figure it out by using the handy Sigil program to do my final cleanup and edits after the Indesign export. Invaluable program.

My big problem now is Apple not responding to my publisher application. They really dropped the ball on support for the iBook program.

Ok, Great. I, personally don't like it, but I can see it's merits...

Please make sure your ePub validates but uploading it here if it passes here then you are home free... if not, then it will never make it passed Apple...

If it throws up a bunch of errors then I can help you work your way through them.

Edit- sorry for bad spelling grammer... I never proofread internet posts. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2011 2:46 PM   in reply to marcusstringer

I never got beyond the initial application, let alone a book submission. The book seems to validate fine with Sigil, will try the URL you kindly gave me.

Bigger problem is with the publisher application at this point.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2011 2:49 PM   in reply to sonofmrsnak

sonofmrsnak wrote:

I never got beyond the initial application, let alone a book submission. The book seems to validate fine with Sigil, will try the URL you kindly gave me.

Bigger problem is with the publisher application at this point.

No problem...Unfortunatley, I can not help you out with that...as I've never done one... maybe Webfour can offer some assistance?

Good Luck, mate

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 11:51 AM   in reply to web four

Thanks, but boy, that's not encouraging at all. :-(

Hopefully all of our work will have a happy ending.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 12:11 PM   in reply to web four

Same with me. Amazon and Barnes & Noble were fast and easy and have decent support. We've had good sales with them, too.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points