Skip navigation
JQSimpkins
Currently Being Moderated

PGC internal software error on Encore CS5

Sep 6, 2010 9:34 PM

Greetings,

I recently ran into this error on a DVD Project that has worked previously;

PGC "FF_master has an error at 00;01;22;14.

internal software error:%0, line FF_master-PGC Info: name = FF_master, ref

= HApgc, time = 00:01:22:14

I'm not sure why the sudden change as I have used this project previously and have never seen an error like this before.I have tried replacing and renaming assets with no success. Is this a new error with CS5 possibly with some of the newer updates? Any help would be appreciated, Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 6, 2010 9:51 PM   in reply to JQSimpkins

The only PGC errors I have seen reported in CS5 have been "valid" errors,usually with a qualifier as to the nature of the PGC error.  What you quote is the "generic" version of the error.

There were PGC errors for some users of CS3 that were "persistent," meaning that despite good workflow they could not be solved.  There were workarounds for most variations.

The PGC errors I experienced in CS3 were resolved in CS4.

What version of EN and PR are you using?  (You refer to updates but don't say what your update status is.)

How long is the timeline that has the problem?  (The persistent error generally occurred 2 frames or so from the end).

When you say you have used the project before, in CS5?  What version was it created in?

I have no idea what information might be useful.  I'm curious as to the nature of your assets and transcode settings.  Also whether your assets include chapters, and whether your timelines are single clips.

Once the persistent error occurred in CS3, it was rarely resolved without starting a new project (e.g. for renaming assets, etc).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2010 5:59 AM   in reply to JQSimpkins

If you have a copy of this project prior to the subtitle work you describe, I would go back to that point and see if it works.

There is only a "save as" in EN (not save a copy), and this makes it difficult to roll back in situations like this.  I keep meaning to put in a feature request for that....

The error occurring early in the timeline is suspicious (what is in that timeline?).

Is there more than one clip on that timeline?  What kind of audio?  Subtitles?

A strategy used in trying to sort out this error in the past was deleting the offending timeline to see if that works.

I assume you have transcoded everything before you try to build.

If starting new would take less than 3 hours, I would start over.  (Save the current project for further testing.)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2010 9:58 AM   in reply to JQSimpkins

Long paths and long file names are known to cause problems

Also file names with spaces in the name (legal in Windows, Encore doesn't like)

Also file names with "odd" characters in the name

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2010 3:17 PM   in reply to JQSimpkins

You're welcome.  I congratulate you on excellent troubleshooting in what sounds like a fairly complex project. 

I would class this as a "real" error, even though we can't be certain we know what the mechanism was.  Something in one or more subtitles must have created a problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2010 4:58 PM   in reply to JQSimpkins

Hello

Ii am also having this problem I was working in Encore cs4 but I downloaded the trial for cs5 to see if the problem would be fixed.

The problem was not fixed.

I created the files in After Effects fallowing this tutorial http://videocopilot.net/tutorials/dvd_authoring/.

do you think that is my problem? should I try and encode using Premier?

I am going to recreate th project putting all the files directly on one of my hard drives in no subfolders and rename everything very simple with no spaces i will write back if it works. or if it doesnt.

any ideas as to why its not working? i deleted all the .xmp files too.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2010 5:34 PM   in reply to JQSimpkins

Ok It did NOT work. (refurring to my previous post)

this is what i did.

copyed the files directly on to my HD in one folder, renamed all the files with no spaces or non letters, deleted the .xmp files,  created a new simple timeline.

the PGC error is at 00;00;00;00.

any ideas? (please also read my Previous post

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2010 6:20 PM   in reply to Pyro4lif

I don't think you are having the same problem, even though yours involves a PGC error.

Please post the exact error you are getting, unless it is exactly the one in the first post in this thread except for the all zero address.

Tell us about your project (menus, subtitles, motion buttons or menus, slideshow, etc).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2010 7:16 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

OK so here is my exsact error message " PGC "shortcomeeridesep" has an error at 00;00;00;00. internal software error:%0,line shortcomeeridsep - PGC Info: name= shortcomeridesep, ref= Cpgc, time= 00:00:00:00"

right now I simplifide the project to one looping timeline to try and narrow down the problem.

my file is a mpeg video .m2v and for the audio is a wav file rendered out of after effect.

the file is 321 mb 6:22 about a 7 mbs bit rate.

system spec:

Vista 64

6gb ram

q6700 2.66 GHz

Encore CS5

the full project is larger: it has a menu with 3 sub menus and 2 time lines.

I think the error is for all the video clips i have only tested 3 though.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2010 7:39 PM   in reply to Pyro4lif

You are exporting the AE rather than dynamic linking?

Assuming export, create a brand new project (I don't know if that is what you did when you say "simplified"), bring in one video (import as timeline from wherever the AE export is), do not loop, build to folder; what is the outcome?

In your actual project, delete the "shortcomeeridesep"; what happens?  Is "shortcomeeridesep" a timeline, motion asset, menu?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2010 8:15 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Stan i wanted to thank you very much for helping me.

no I am not dynamic linking.

ok i closed out of encore opened it created a new project droped in shortcomeeridesep.m2v shortcomeeridesep.wav put them in a new time line.

Hit build to folder and i recived the same error message.

this is intresting though for a test I slid my video in the time line over leaving the first section blank and dis aligning my audio and video and I did not get an error message and it creates a video_ts folder.

I tryed this in my main project but it gives me the error with the menus.  and it wont let me set a time line as my menu motion.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2010 8:35 PM   in reply to Pyro4lif

So "shortcomeeridesep" is a video intended to be a motion asset?

Or is that a menu name in your project?

What are the export settings you used from AE: pixel size, frame rate, aspect ratio, etc.?

It might help for you to post a screenshot of your Encore project flowchart.

I tryed this in my main project but it gives me the error with the menus.

What error did it give you with a menu?

it wont let me set a time line as my menu motion.

You can't set a timeline as menu motion; you must use an asset (i.e. the video itself, not the timeline with the video in it).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2010 9:22 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

AE settings= mpeg2 dvd wide screen 1.21 pixel ratio, 720-480, ntsc 29.97, 7 mbs.

I actually have 4 menus they all have their own assets pre rendered using the same settings as listed above.

screenshot1.jpg

I get the sam PGC error for the Menus all at 00;00;00;00.

thanks again for all the help.

what do you think I should do? do you know any possibilitys of why this is?

should reencode everything in avi and let encore do the rendering? this might be a way around it but I will hate encoding everything twice for the rest of my life and it doesnt work well with deadlines

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2010 5:19 AM   in reply to Pyro4lif

I have not tried to dynamic link an asset for a motion menu.  Don't know if it works or not.

As a next step, I would create a new project with one of the menus you are using with NO MOTION.  does that work?

I would also export from AE as m2v and WAV, not muxed. And try just the m2v without the audio first.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2010 8:02 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

yes if I delete the motion from my Menus then it works. I can render out to folder.

and I did exporet from AE as m2v and wav.

so what should we do for the next step?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2010 10:10 AM   in reply to Pyro4lif

What happened when you put an m2v, no audio, in only one menu as motion?  Does the menu render?  does the project build?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2010 11:37 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

I never had audio for my menu. and no it wouldnt build i would get the same PGC error at 00.

I still dont understan what is causing this error.

it cant be the actual m2v files because if you just slide it to the right leaving a blank spot in the beginning it will work fine...

In the end this is how I worked around the error.

For the time lines I took my video clip and hovered over the beging edge and took it back one section which is black video so it didnt matter.

For the menu i just rendered my videos out in mov...

this works around the problem.

I still would like to know what the problem is so i know how to avoid it in the long run.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2010 12:16 PM   in reply to Pyro4lif

Congratulations on finding a workaround.  I suspect the m2v export settings.  Sorry that I did not understand part of your workflow.

The AE to Encore menu process using m2v is fairly common, so there is no issue with that structure.

"Black video" has caused problems in the past?  I don't recall the details.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points