Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

indesign cs5 crash on pdf export

Sep 8, 2010 1:51 PM

mac osx 10.6.4

cs5 master suite

i seem to be having the same problem as many; indesign cs5 crashes when i export to pdf.  this only seems to occur when i export for pdf (print); the pdf (interactive) seems to work just fine. i have updated indesign to the most recent indesign update (AdobeInDesign7Patch-All) and the CS Live Services Update for CS5 (CSXSInfrastructure) but this doesn't seem to help.  i have restarted, cleared preferences, rebooted, etc.

from my research it appears this is related to the background printing 'advancement'.  if i add the indesign file to a book and then print thru the book panel it works fine.

help please!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 8, 2010 2:06 PM   in reply to 5thhorseman

I really have no idea, but I would add "clearing the font caches" to your regular litany of rituals (restart, delete preferences, repair permissions) when things don't go well. If you export a subset of pages does it work? Can you narrow it down to one page that's the problem page that way?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2010 2:24 PM   in reply to 5thhorseman

There's a script, or reference to one, in one of the ohter threads, that does the expor tin the foreground until Adobe gets a patch for this together.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2010 3:01 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Doesn't the usual magic trick of toggling either "Tagged PDF" or "Optimize for Web" work for CS5, then? It sure did in CS4, never figgered out why they should be off for one file but on for the next one ...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2010 3:14 PM   in reply to [Jongware]

Far as I know it has nothing to do with the issue identified as causing PDF background export hangs.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2010 10:14 AM   in reply to 5thhorseman

I was having the same problems as everyone else until I binned the auto activation plugin for suitcase. Now all is well.

Hope that helps. D.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2010 10:18 AM   in reply to all@bright.vg

What version of Suitcase. I just wrote a review of Suitcase Fusion 3 and didn't run across any issues at all.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2010 1:41 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

14.0.4 (146)

I might also be the 000's of semi fragmented fonts I have aswell. I binned the auto activation months ago and only just defrag'd the HD yesterday.

I may give the auto activation another go. That said I have got very used to the manual activation. :-)

Regards

David

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2010 2:16 PM   in reply to 5thhorseman

I have also had a crash on export problem recently. I went through the suggestions in this thread and searched others.

Then I stepped through a few things in my INDD.

Deleted the suspect page. Export worked.

Brought the page back. Export crashed.

Looked at all the text on the page. I had 4 boxes with bulleted text.

I converted the bullets to text and the export went ahead with no problem.

I turned the bulleted list back into a real bulleted list and the export crashed again.

Go figure.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2010 5:02 PM   in reply to 5thhorseman

Using a Mac and InDesign CS5,. I found that when I had PDF linked as images, the export to PDF did not work. The file appeared in the Finder and then disappeared. When I converted the images to TIFF, the export function worked fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2010 4:52 AM   in reply to Robert1950

Robert, are you really exporting to PDF, and not trying to print to PDF? They symptom you are describing is a classic case of what happens in Snow Leopard when trying to print to PDF using the old Adobe PDF virtual printer left over from a previous installation. It isn't caused by linked PDF in those cases, but rather by Snow Leopard which has removed functioanlity for the PDF printer.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2010 5:34 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

PETER: No. I am not trying to print to PDF. I am trying to export to PDF. InDesign will not permit you to print to PDF.

Typed with two fingers on my iPad

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2010 6:05 AM   in reply to Robert1950

OK, then there's a probably solvable problem. What version of ID? What version of OS X? Font manager? Third-party plugins?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2010 6:33 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

PETER: All are up to date. CS5. Most recent update on the operating system. Only the plug  ins that came with the CS5 installation disk (CS5 design premium package). Not near my computer for the next few days. Can get you specifics then if needed. Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2010 7:16 AM   in reply to Robert1950

Let us know when you're back on the machine so we can try some diagnostics like new docs, new users, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2010 7:19 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

PETER:  Will do. ROBERT

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2010 10:24 AM   in reply to Robert1950

PETER: Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. The issue "resolved itself"; i.e., it went away. Thanks again for being so responsive. ROBERT

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2010 10:52 AM   in reply to Robert1950

Don't you just hate that? It usually means the thing has gone dormant, only to rear it's ugly head at some new critical moment.  (hope I haven't jinxed you).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2010 11:01 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Or they fixed it in a recent update (there's always that to hope for!)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points